December 13, 1986 |
Saugerties, New York, United States
|Other names||The Menace|
|Height||5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10 st 5 lb)|
|Reach||66.0 in (168 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Lindenhurst, New York|
|Team||Long Island MMA|
|Wrestling||NCAA Division I Wrestling|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Dennis Ross Bermudez (born December 13, 1986) is an American mixed martial artist who competes in the featherweight division of the UFC. Bermudez has been a professional MMA competitor since 2009. He has made a name for himself mainly fighting on the east coast. He was a competitor on Spike TV's The Ultimate Fighter: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller. As of August 17, 2015, he is #9 in the official UFC featherweight rankings. and the #8 ranked featherweight in the world by Sherdog.
Puerto Rican/American Bermudez began wrestling in 2000 and held a high school record of 112 wins and 23 losses. From high school he went on to wrestle at Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania where in 2007 he was ranked 22nd in the nation at the Division 1 level. Bermudez then became a college free-style All-American in Akron, Ohio.
Mixed martial arts career
Bermudez first started training mixed martial arts in Saugerties, New York, his home town, in 2009. He later went on to train at Blackman MMA in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. He trained at Blackman MMA for nearly two years as he competed as an amateur and professional. Bermudez competed in four amateur bouts before earning his professional license, finishing his amateur career with four wins and no losses. He began his pro career in 2009, opening his career with a record of 4-0, all four won via stoppage. The wins earned him a fight for Russian promotion, M-1 Global. The fight was held at the event M-1 Selection 2010 in New Jersey against Kevin Roddy. Bermudez controlled the entirety of the fight and won via unanimous decision. He was not selected to compete in the M-1 Global tournament, and never returned to fight for the promotion.
Bermudez returned to Pennsylvania Fighting Championships for one fight before signing with Shine Fights. Bermudez signed onto compete in Shine Fights 2010 Lightweight Grand Prix. His first fight in the tournament was against UFC veteran Shannon Gugerty. Bermudez won the fight via unanimous decision and moved onto fight UFC, MFC, Strikeforce, and DREAM veteran, Drew Fickett. Fickett handed Bermudez his first loss, submitting him in the first round via rear naked choke. He lost his second straight fight, also via rear naked choke, to undefeated Jordan Rinaldi. After the losses, Bermudez showed interest in dropping weight classes to compete at featherweight.
The Ultimate Fighter
In 2011, Bermudez signed with the Ultimate Fighting Championship to compete in The Ultimate Fighter: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller. In the first episode, Bermudez fought reigning King of the Cage bantamweight champion, Jimmie Rivera, to gain entry into the Ultimate Fighter house. After being rocked in the first round, Bermudez defeated Rivera in the second round via TKO.
Bermudez was selected to be a part of Team Mayhem as the team's first pick (second overall). In his quarterfinal bout, Bermudez fought Stephen Bass. Bermudez controlled the fight throughout round one before winning the fight in the second round via TKO.
Bermudez was selected to fight Team Bisping member Akira Corassani in the semi-finals. After being knocked down twice, Bermudez took Corassani down and finished the fight in the first round via submission due to a guillotine choke. With the win, Bermudez moved into the finals set to take place at The Ultimate Fighter 14 Finale. The submission also won Bermudez an additional $25,000 for the fan voted "Submission of the Season".
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Bermudez officially made his UFC debut on December 3, 2011 at The Ultimate Fighter 14 Finale against Diego Brandão to determine the winner of The Ultimate Fighter 14. After a back-and-forth first round Bermudez knocked down Brandão and displayed strong ground and pound from the top position but while doing so Bermudez was caught in an armbar that ended the fight. The bout earned Fight of the Night honors, giving Bermudez an extra $40,000 in bonuses.
Bermudez fought Tommy Hayden on August 11, 2012 at UFC 150. Bermudez won late into round one after clipping Hayden with a front kick to the chest, a straight right to the face then catching him in a guillotine choke, causing Hayden to submit. The performance earned Bermudez Submission of the Night honors.
Bermudez next faced Matt Grice on February 23, 2013 at UFC 157. Bermudez won via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28). The back and forth action earned both fighters Fight of the Night honors and much praise from MMA observers proclaiming it was an early front runner for "Fight of the Year".
Bermudez was briefly scheduled to face Nik Lentz on November 6, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 31. However, Lentz was pulled from the pairing with Bermudez in favor of a bout with Chad Mendes on December 14, 2013 at UFC on Fox 9. Bermudez instead fought Steven Siler as a replacement opponent. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
In his highest profile fight to date, Bermudez faced Clay Guida on July 26, 2014 at UFC on Fox 12. He won the bout via submission in the second round, and earned a Performance of the Night bonus award for the second time in a row.
Championships & accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|19 matches||14 wins||5 losses|
|Loss||14–5||Jeremy Stephens||TKO (flying knee and punches)||UFC 189||July 11, 2015||3||0:32||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Catchweight (149.5 lbs) bout; Stephens missed weight.|
|Loss||14–4||Ricardo Lamas||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 180||November 15, 2014||1||3:18||Mexico City, Mexico|
|Win||14–3||Clay Guida||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC on Fox: Lawler vs. Brown||July 26, 2014||2||2:57||San Jose, California, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||13–3||Jimy Hettes||TKO (punches and knee)||UFC 171||March 15, 2014||3||2:57||Dallas, Texas, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||12–3||Steven Siler||Decision (unanimous)||UFC: Fight for the Troops 3||November 6, 2013||3||5:00||Fort Campbell, Kentucky, United States|
|Win||11–3||Max Holloway||Decision (split)||UFC 160||May 25, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||10–3||Matt Grice||Decision (split)||UFC 157||February 23, 2013||3||5:00||Anaheim, California, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||9–3||Tommy Hayden||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 150||August 11, 2012||1||4:43||Denver, Colorado, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||8–3||Pablo Garza||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Diaz vs. Miller||May 5, 2012||3||5:00||East Rutherford, New Jersey, United States|
|Loss||7–3||Diego Brandão||Submission (straight armbar)||The Ultimate Fighter 14 Finale||December 3, 2011||1||4:51||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Featherweight debut. Lost The Ultimate Fighter 14. Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||7–2||Jordan Rinaldi||Submission (rear-naked choke)||PA Fighting Championships 4||November 20, 2010||1||2:13||Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Loss||7–1||Drew Fickett||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Shine Fights 3||September 10, 2010||1||2:02||Newkirk, Oklahoma, United States||Lightweight Grand Prix bout.|
|Win||7–0||Shannon Gugerty||Decision (unanimous)||Shine Fights 3||September 10, 2010||3||5:00||Newkirk, Oklahoma, United States||Lightweight Grand Prix bout.|
|Win||6–0||Joey Carroll||Decision (unanimous)||PA Fighting Championships 3||June 26, 2010||3||5:00||Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||5–0||Kevin Roddy||Decision (unanimous)||M-1 Selection 2010: The Americas Round 1||April 3, 2010||3||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||4–0||Jeremiah Gurley||TKO (punches)||Deathroll MMA 2||March 12, 2010||1||1:55||Monessen, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||3–0||Marcos Maciel||TKO (punches)||PA Fighting Championships 2||February 7, 2010||1||2:57||Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||2–0||Jimmy Seipel||Submission (guillotine choke)||Asylum Fight League 25||February 6, 2010||2||0:41||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||1–0||Chris Connor||TKO (punches)||PA Fighting Championships 1||November 6, 2009||1||4:01||Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Lawler vs. Brown". UFC.com. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- "Dennis Bermudez - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- "Fighter Rankings - UFC ®". ufc.com.
- "Sherdog’s Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". Sherdog.
- "The Ultimate Fighter: Team Bisping vs Team Miller – Cast Bios". spike.com. August 30, 2011.
- "Meet one of Long Island MMA and Fitness Centers Fastest Rising MMA Stars..."The Menace" Dennis Bermudez -". limixedmartialarts.com.
- "UFC on FOX 3 adds Johnny Bedford vs. Nick Denis, Dennis Bermudez vs. Pablo Garza". mmainterplay.com. February 17, 2012.
- "UFC 150 in Denver adds Bermudez-Hayden". mmajunkie.com. June 4, 2012.
- "Matt Grice meets Dennis Bermudez at UFC 157". MMAjunkie. December 20, 2012.
- Brian Mazique (February 24, 2013). "Matt Grice and Dennis Bermudez Put on Classic Battle". bleacherreport.com. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- Dana Becker (March 27, 2013). "UFC 160 Gains Dennis Bermudez-Max Holloway". fightline.com. Retrieved March 27, 2013.
- John Petit (2013-08-23). "Nik Lentz Vs Dennis Bermudez Signed For UFN 31". fighters.com. Retrieved 2013-08-23.
- Ariel Helwani (2013-09-17). "Chad Mendes vs. Nik Lentz booked for UFC on FOX 9". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Staff (2013-09-17). "Dennis Bermudez vs. Steven Siler joins UFC Fight Night 31 'Troops' lineup". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Staff (2014-03-16). "UFC 171 bonuses: Hendricks, Lawler, St. Preux, Bermudez win $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- Staff (2014-05-16). "Dennis Bermudez vs. Clay Guida booked for July's UFC on FOX 12 event". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- Staff (2014-07-26). "UFC on FOX 12 bonuses: Lawler, Brown, Johnson, Bermudez win $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-07-26.
- Mookie Alexander (2014-08-26). "Lamas vs. Bermudez among four fights confirmed for UFC 180". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-08-26.
- Luke Thomas (2014-11-15). "UFC 180 results: Ricardo Lamas submits Dennis Bermudez with first-round guillotine". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-11-15.
- Staff (2015-03-31). "Dennis Bermudez vs. Jeremy Stephens booked for UFC 189 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-03-31.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-07-11). "UFC 189 results: Jeremy Stephens knee plants Dennis Bermudez for TKO in brawl". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-11.
- Tristen Critchfield (2015-11-19). "Dennis Bermudez, Maximo Blanco to lock horns at UFC Fight Night in Boston on Jan. 17". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-11-19.