Calero at the Big Apple Convention, May 21, 2011.
|Born||Miami Beach, Florida|
|Area(s)||Writer, Penciller, Inker, Colourist|
Legion of Superheroes
|Awards||Harvey Award Nomination, best new series, X Factor 2006|
Calero's work includes Acclaim Comics' licensed-product titles Sliders and Magic: The Gathering; Moonstone Books' TV tie-in titles Cisco Kid and Kolchak: The Night Stalker, Platinum Comics' Cowboys & Aliens; IDW Publishing's Masters of Horror: Dreams in the Witch House; and Marvel Comics' X-Factor, during his tenure on which the title was nominated for the Harvey Award for Best New Series (2006). In 2006, IDW announced that Calero would be one of the cover artists on its six-issue Star Trek: The Next Generation TV tie-in miniseries The Space Between, scheduled for 2007.[dead link]
In 2012, Calero illustrated the Shadow Annual for Dynamite Entertainment and is illustrating issues 2-8 of MASKS, a mini-series developed by Dynamite, Alex Ross and Chris Roberson putting together many of the popular pulp heroes Dynamic Forces licenses, such as the Green Hornet & Kato, the Shadow, and Zorro.
In October 2012, Calero also began illustrating a webcomic The Little Green God of Agony for Stephen King which is a short story that was published in the 2011 anthology A Book of Horrors by King.
Calero illustrated The Tell-Tale Heart in 2013, part of the Edgar Allan Poe Graphic Novels series. In a positive review, Booklist wrote that Calero "shows off a virtuoso command of the format and impressive knowledge of his horror antecedents with the visuals."
Calero has also provided illustrations sporadically for role-playing games, beginning in 1996 for White Wolf Publishing. He has done interior artwork for Dungeons & Dragons books for the Forgotten Realms setting, such as Silver Marches, Faiths and Pantheons, and Races of Faerûn.
Devil Inside, based upon a webcomic co-created by Dennis Calero and actor Todd Stashwick, was optioned in 2011 for development. It was also announced on Deadline.com that Calero and Stashwick were writing an original pilot for the SyFy channel called Clandestine.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (August 2008)
- Cowboys & Aliens (with authors Fred Van Lente and Andrew Foley, graphic novel, Platinum Studios, 2006, ISBN 978-1-58240-724-1)
- Supergirl & Legion of Super-Heroes #32-36 (with Tony Bedard, DC Comics, 2007–2008)
- Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles: The Authorized Adaptation (by Ray Bradbury, graphic novel, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2011, ISBN 978-0-80906-793-0)
- (May 16, 2011) "Comics Reviews: Cowboys & Aliens", Publishers Weekly 258 (20).
- Harvey Award Nominees Announced (press release by Jonah Weiland, executive producer, Comic-Con International), Comic Book Resources, June 1, 2006
- Brady, Matt. "To Boldly Keep Going: Talking Trelk at IDW". Newsarama.[dead link]
- McTavish, Brian (May 11, 2007). "Feeding the fans: '28 Days' comic enhances film sequel", Star-News.
- Williams, Jonathan (May 5, 2007). "Graffiti: Games, gadgets and graphics: Words and pictures: Your guide to new manga, graphic novels and comics: 28 Days Later: The Aftermath", The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, p. FE2.
- Szadkowski, Joseph (August 19, 2010). "Welcome to warped new worlds", The Washington Times, p. B20.
- Honorable mention from the Society of Illustrators West
- MASKS a mini-series developed by Dynamite (solicitations from Dynamite), Dynamite Entertainment
- (September 23, 2013). "Comics Reviews: Masks Volume 1 Tp", Publishers Weekly 260 (38).
- The Little Green God of Agony Takes Over The Web (press release from StephenKing.com), Stephen King, October 13, 2012
- Karp, Jesse (June 1–15, 2013). "The Tell-Tale Heart", Booklist 109 (19/20): 59.
- Syfy Channel is developing a space adventure/drama 'Clandestine' (article from Deadline), Syfy Channel, August 8, 2012
- Cornog , Martha (September 15, 2011). "Graphic Novels: Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles: The Authorized Adaptation", Library Journal 136 (15). "Calero's mostly realistic colors integrate smoothly with the story and are well designed."
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dennis Calero.|