Dennis Gilbert (baseball)
Dennis Gilbert (born 1947) is a former sports agent and baseball executive. He is the co-founder of Beverly Hills Sports Council, a sports agency that has represented numerous professional baseball players.
Gilbert played professional baseball in the Red Sox and Mets minor league systems before entering the life insurance business at age 24. When a friend of his who was a baseball agent died unexpectedly, Gilbert took over representation for some of his clients.
Beverly Hills Sports Council
In 1984, Gilbert and fellow former minor-leaguer Rick Thurman founded Beverly Hills Sports Council; over the next few years it became one of the most powerful sports agencies in Major League Baseball. Gilbert represented numerous star players that signed some of the most lucrative contracts in professional sports in the 1980s and 1990s, including Barry Bonds, Bobby Bonilla, Jose Canseco, George Brett, Bret Saberhagen and Danny Tartabull. Gilbert sold his share of the agency to his partners in January 1999, retiring from the sports agent business at the age of 51.
Chicago White Sox
Professional Baseball Scouts Foundation
- Kevin Modesti (2011-06-05). "Many hope former agent Dennis Gilbert might someday buy the Dodgers". Los Angeles Daily News. Retrieved 2016-07-02.
- "Dennis Gilbert Register Statistics & History". Baseball Reference. Retrieved 2016-07-02.
- Zach Links (2014-01-01). "Dennis Gilbert Reflects On His Career As Top Agent". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved 2016-07-02.
- Richard Pallarino (2014-11-20). "Interview With The Agent: Rick Thurman". Retrieved 2016-07-02.
- Tom Verducci (1993-06-14). "Big Deals". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2016-07-02.
- "Former Agent Gilbert Joins White Sox". Associated Press. 2000-11-28. Retrieved 2016-07-02.
- Ross Newhan (2005-12-13). "Gilbert Ready to Step Up in Scouts' Honor". LA Times. Retrieved 2016-07-03.
- "Rachel Robinson To Receive Pioneer Award". Culvercityobserver.com. Retrieved 28 November 2016.