Dennis Harris (alternative medicine)
Dr. Dennis Howard Harris (born March, 1938, in Akron, Ohio) is a medical doctor known for selling alternative medicine remedies. Harris has developed and marketed several products, including one that was the subject of a 2003 Federal Trade Commission complaint resulting in an order essentially banning his company and its officers from making health claims not backed by scientific evidence.
In 1963, Harris received his degree from Ohio State University College of Medicine. After residency-training in physical medicine and rehabilitation at Ohio State University and Southwestern Medical School, University of Texas, Harris moved to Scottsdale, Arizona, to begin private practice. In 1968, Harris established the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Scottsdale Memorial Hospital in 1968 and later established the Southwest Pain Control Program.
Harris was the subject of a Federal Trade Commission complaint (closed on July 29, 2003 with an order essentially banning his company and its officers from making health claims not backed by scientific evidence) in which the claims and actions of Harris, associates, and the company that produced and marketed the Dr Harris’ Original Snore Formula constituted "unfair or deceptive acts or practices", including the creation of "false advertisements", in violation of the Federal Trade Commission Act.
- Medical Board of Ohio
- "FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION: DOCKET NO. C-4090" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-02-19.
- "In the Matter of Snore Formula, Inc., Dennis H. Harris, M.D., Ronald E. General, and Gerald L. "Jerry" Harris, also doing business as KJ Enterprises, File No. 022 3247". Retrieved 2008-02-19.
- "Desert Health Products Inc. to Offer Dr. Harris' Original Snore Formula and Other Products". Business Wire. 2000-08-23. Retrieved 2008-02-19.
- "Dennis H. Harris, M.D. Biography". Archived from the original on 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2008-02-19.
- "Baywood Wakes Up Anti-Snore Category; Company Signs Exclusive Agreement to Market Dr. Harris' Original Snore Formula Through Health Food Stores, Supermarkets, Drug Stores". Business Wire. 1999-07-07. Retrieved 2008-02-19.
- "Dr. Harris’ Original Snore Formula information packet from the Baywood Research Module" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-07-05. Retrieved 2008-02-19.
- "FTC Targets Snore Formula Makers". Archived from the original on 2007-06-27. Retrieved 2008-02-19.
- "The Rogues Gallery — Blog Archive — Doctor, It Hurts When I Do This". Archived from the original on 2008-02-15. Retrieved 2008-02-19.
- "The Skeptics Guide Archive". Archived from the original on 2008-02-18. Retrieved 2008-02-19.