|Born||March 30, 1947|
Los Angeles, California, United States
|Occupation||Dancer, actor, singer|
Dennis Parlato (born March 30, 1947 in Los Angeles) is an American dancer, actor, and singer.
Early life and education
He is the son of Charlie Parlato, and the uncle of Grammy-nominated jazz singer Gretchen Parlato. Parlato used to teach high school English in San Francisco before realizing he wanted to perform. He was performing in chamber concert groups and teaching full-time. While on vacation with his first wife, they decided to see the ballet nearby just as something to do. He went to the Nederlands Dans Theater, a premier theatre company that, unbeknownst to him, was putting on a ballet of Carmina Burana. After watching the ballet, it inspired him when he got back home to switch to half-time teaching and study ballet. He met Austin Tichenor (of Reduced Shakespeare Company) when Parlato joined the Oakland Ballet as a featured solo dancer and Tichenor was stage manager.
He moved to New York when he was thirty years old. His fiancée at the time Maggie Caponio, had gotten a scholarship to the New York City Ballet and he decided to go with her. He auditioned for everything, even though he had no formal vocal or acting lessons. He got into A Chorus Line and after that was able to afford proper lessons.
Parlato is probably best known for his work in Soap opera's where he played Barton Crane on All My Children, Michael Grande on One Life to Live, Clay Alden on Loving and Roger Thorpe on Guiding Light.
- A Chorus Line (1977), understudy
- Chess (1988), Walter
- Sound of Music (1998), Captain George Von Trapp (replacement)
- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (2005), understudy and Lawrence (replacement)
- Moby Dick (1986), Starbuck
- Have I Got a Girl For You! (1986), Igor
- Romance/Romance (1986)
- The Knife (1987), Dr. Bauer
- Shylock (1987), Antonio
- Violent Peace (1990)
- Hello Again (1993), The Husband
- Down By The Ocean (1994), Dan Bailey
- Jack's Holiday (1995), Inspector Thomas Byrnes
- Overtime (1996), Antonio
- Barefoot Boy with Shoes On (1999)
- When We Dead Awaken (2002), Rubek
- Guys and Dolls (2004), Sky Masterson
- Amazing Grace (2012), Captain Newton
- The Dream Team (1989) -- TV newscaster
- Johnny Suede (1991) -- Dalton
- Bury the Evidence (1998) -- The Enforcer
- Rick (2003) -- BusinessTalk Anchor
- Delirious (2006) -- Royce Ralston
- Starting Out in the Evening (2007) -- Author
- Bride Wars (2009) -- Dance Instructor
- One Life to Live (1989-1990) - Michael Grande
- Loving (1992-1995) - Clay Alden
- Guiding Light (1997-1998) - Roger Thorpe
- Reichardt, Nancy M. (December 4, 1994). "Look Who's Talking: 'Loving's' Dennis Parlato". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved October 12, 2013.
- Havens, Candace (15 January 1989). "Dennis Parlato Joins 'One Life to Live'". Janesville Sunday Gazette. Retrieved 2 February 2018.
- Aig, Marlene (6 August 1995). "Actor goes from soaps to Shakespeare". Santa Ana Orange County Register. Retrieved 2 February 2018.
- Lang, Steven. "Utter Dismay". PEOPLE.com. Retrieved 2 February 2018.