Dental Technologists Association
|This article does not cite any sources. (May 2015)|
The association began life as the Dental Technicians Education and Training Advisory Board (DTETAB) and was established by the General Dental Council (GDC). The remit of DTETAB was to review and make recommendations about the education and training of dental technicians, the suitability of that training and how it would fit with the demands of providing dental services. The other main role for DTETAB was maintaining a Voluntary Register of Dental Technicians, which served as the precursor to the GDC statutory register. The inaugural meeting of the Board took place in January 1986 and was chaired by Margaret Seward (later Dame Margaret Seward). The GDC was only actively involved for the first three years and DTETAB became an independent professional body in 1989 with Colin Lee, a dental technician and laboratory owner from north west England, as chairman. Ray Cox was appointed as registrar and served until his retirement in 1992 when he was succeeded by Sue Adams.
Anticipating a slightly different role post statutory registration, DTETAB became the Dental Technicians Association in 2002. The final name change came in 2006 when the association became the Dental Technologists Association.
The headquarters of the DTA is based at 2 Wheatstone Court, Waterwells Business Park, Gloucester GL2 2AQ The Chief Executive of the association is Sue Adams, who is responsible for the office, administration, and support to the council and provides the first point of contact for members.
The DTA council is the governing body of the association. Mike McGlynn is the current president and James Green is deputy president while former president Tony Griffin is treasurer. Other council members include past president John Stacey as well as Gregg Clutton, Nargisa Rikena, Darryl Palos, Michael Egerton, Delroy Reeves and Jack Thurkettle. Current student representatives are Tara Bond and Rachel Robinson.
Chairs of the Dental Technicians Education and Training Advisory Board
|№||Took office||Left office||Chairman|
|1||1989||1993||Colin Lee MBE|
|4||1996||1998||Ian MacLeod MBE|
|5||1998||2002||Tony Griffin MBE|
Presidents of the Dental Technologists Association
|№||Took office||Left office||President|
|1||2002||2004||Tony Griffin MBE|
|2||2004||2005||Ian MacLeod MBE|
|3||2005||2007||Tony Griffin MBE|
The objectives of the DTA are:
- To provide an organisation to support the development of the dental technology profession.
- To encourage and promote education, including continuing professional development (CPD), for dental technicians.
- To forge links with other bodies and organisations for the benefit of dental technicians and patients.
- To promote DTA views to government, relevant groups, service providers and the public.
- To adopt and share best practice enabling dental technology to take a wider participative role in the oral healthcare.
- To be the forward thinking organisation that advises, develops and supports individual dental technicians.
- To endeavour to support dental technician members and provide benefits and career opportunities.
- To maintain and develop the 'job title' and 'function' of dental technicians.
- To develop and maintain links with other dental technology and Dental Care Professional (DCP) groups as appropriate.
- To negotiate with appropriate groups on behalf of dental technicians.