Dental alveoli (singular alveolus) are sockets in the jaws in which the roots of teeth are held in the alveolar process with the periodontal ligament. The lay term for dental alveoli is tooth sockets. A joint that connects the roots of the teeth and the alveolus is called gomphosis (plural gomphoses). Alveolar bone is the bone that surrounds the roots of the teeth forming bone sockets.
1706, "a hollow," especially "the socket of a tooth," from Latin alveolus "a tray, trough, basin; bed of a small river; small hollow or cavity," diminutive of alvus "belly, stomach, paunch, bowels; hold of a ship," from PIE root *aulo- "hole, cavity" (source also of Greek aulos "flute, tube, pipe;" Serbo-Croatian, Polish, Russian ulica "street," originally "narrow opening;" Old Church Slavonic uliji, Lithuanian aulys "beehive" (hollow trunk), Armenian yli "pregnant"). The word was extended in 19c. anatomy to other small pits, sockets, or cells.
Socket preservation or alveolar ridge preservation (ARP) is a procedure to reduce bone loss after tooth extraction to preserve the dental alveolus (tooth socket) in the alveolar bone. A platelet-rich fibrin (PRF) membrane containing bone growth enhancing elements can be stitched over the wound or a graft material or scaffold is placed in the socket of an extracted tooth. The socket is then directly closed with stitches or covered with a non-resorbable or resorbable membrane and sutured.
The swelling of the dental alveoli can result in alveolitis, causing pain and discomfort to the mouth.
- Peck, Mogammad Thabit; Marnewick, Johan; Stephen, Lawrence (2011). "Alveolar Ridge Preservation Using Leukocyte and Platelet-Rich Fibrin: A Report of a Case". Case Reports in Dentistry. 2011: 1–5. doi:10.1155/2011/345048. ISSN 2090-6447. PMC 3335652. PMID 22567435.
- Khiste, Sujeet Vinayak; Naik Tari, Ritam (2013). "Platelet-Rich Fibrin as a Biofuel for Tissue Regeneration". ISRN Biomaterials. 2013: 1–6. doi:10.5402/2013/627367. ISSN 2314-4025.
- Tassos Irinakis, Rationale for Socket Preservation after Extraction of a Single-Rooted Tooth when Planning for Future Implant Placement, Journal of Canadian Dental Association 2006; 72(10):917–922
- Fickl, Stefan; Zuhr, Otto; Wachtel, Hannes; Stappert, Christian F. J.; Stein, Jamal M.; Hürzeler, Markus B. (2008). "Dimensional changes of the alveolar ridge contour after different socket preservation techniques". Journal of Clinical Periodontology. 35 (10): 906–913. doi:10.1111/j.1600-051X.2008.01305.x. ISSN 0303-6979. PMID 18713258.
- "Extraction socket preservation: The time is now" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-07-14. Retrieved 2014-06-18.
- National Institute of Health, CRISP Database