|No. of offices||175|
|No. of lawyers||Over 9,000|
|Major practice areas||General Practice|
|Key people||Joseph Andrew|
(Chief Executive Officer)
(Chairman of the Global Board)
|Revenue||$2.03 billion (2018)|
|Profit per equity partner||$1.07 million (2018)|
|Date founded||28 March 2013 (By merger)|
|Founder||SNR Denton, Salans and Fraser Milner Casgrain|
|Company type||Swiss Verein|
|Slogan||Challenging the status quo to serve clients better|
Dentons is a decentralised multinational law firm ranked by Acritas as having one of the world's top 20 Global Elite law firm brands. It is the 8th-largest law firm in the world by revenue and the world's largest law firm by number of lawyers. The firm is called Dentons in all languages other than Chinese, in which it is called 大成 (Dacheng).
Dentons was founded in March 2013 by the merger of SNR Denton, Fraser Milner Casgrain and Salans. Following its merger with Chinese law firm Dacheng in November 2015, Dentons became the largest law firm in the world by number of lawyers and has the most offices of any law firm in the world, covering every continent.
As of 2018, Dentons operates in 79 countries, has 175 offices, and employs over 9,000 lawyers. The firm has no headquarters, although the firm's senior leadership are primarily based in Beijing, London and Washington D.C.→ Go to editing area
Dentons is structured as a Swiss Verein called Salans FMC SNR Denton Group, which does not itself provide legal services. The verein encapsulates multiple co-operating legal entities, namely Dentons Canada LLP, Dentons Europe LLP, Dentons UK and Middle East LLP, Dentons US LLP, amongst others.
On 11 November 2012, SNR Denton, Salans and the Canada-based Fraser Milner Casgrain announced a three-way merger, forming a new law firm structured as a Swiss Verein and named Dentons. The partners of the three firms ratified the merger on 28 November 2012, and it was completed on 28 March 2013. Dentons opened an office in Houston, Texas in September 2013.
On January 26, 2015, Dentons announced that it was combining with a Chinese firm, Dacheng (Chinese: 大成) which was completed in November 2015. The new firm is called 大成 in Chinese, and is called Dentons in other languages. The logo features the Chinese characters for Dacheng globally, with the lettering 大成 Dentons. Following the Dacheng combination, Dentons surpassed Baker & McKenzie and DLA Piper, the world’s previous top law firms by headcount, by at least 2,500 lawyers.
2015 saw several other major regional expansions for the firm. In April, Dentons US agreed to a merger with Atlanta-based law firm McKenna Long & Aldridge which was completed in June of that year. The firm also opened new offices in Hungary, Luxembourg, Singapore and South Africa during 2015 and announced combinations with firms in Australia, Colombia, and Mexico. The firm also launched Nextlaw Labs, a business accelerator focused on investing in, developing and deploying new technologies to transform the practice of law, in May 2015. Dentons also announced in November 2016 that it would become the first global law firm with a footprint in Central America by combining with Muñoz Global, adding offices in Panama, Nicaragua and Costa Rica.
In December 2016, Dentons launched in Australia and Papua New Guinea by combining with leading Australian law firm Gadens. The Sydney, Perth and Port Moresby offices of Gadens joined Dentons, while the Adelaide and Brisbane offices became "associate offices" and the Melbourne office remained independent. The Gadens combination resulted in Dentons having approximately 7,600 lawyers serving 57 countries.
In 2017, Costa Rican law firm Muñoz Global combined with Dentons and, thus, Dentons Muñoz was created. Dentons Muñoz is the Costa Rican -and Central American- chapter of Dentons. Dentons Muñoz currently has offices in Costa Rica (cities of San José and Liberia), Panamá (Panama City), and Guatemala (Guatemala City). The same year, Dentons merged with Scottish firm Maclay Murray & Spens. In 2017 the firm formed a strategic alliance with opposition research firm Definers Public Affairs, dubbed 3D Global Affairs. As of April 12th of 2018, Denton announced seven new partnerships in Kenya, Mauritius, Caribbean, Indonesia and Malaysia.
Main practice areas
Dentons' main practice areas include:
- Antitrust and Competition
- Banking and Finance
- Bankruptcy, Insolvency and Restructuring
- Capital Markets
- Employment, Benefits and Pensions
- Energy, Environment and Natural Resources
- Intellectual Property
- International Arbitration
- International Trade
- Life Sciences and Health Care
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Public Policy and Regulation
- Real Estate
- Trusts, Estates and Wealth Management
- Venture Capital
Dentons is a firm covering North America, South America, Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific, China, and Africa.
- "New-look Dentons to be 'most multi-cultural' law firm". The Lawyer. 12 November 2012. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-08-26. Retrieved 2015-08-26.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-02-24. Retrieved 2015-03-20.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Dentons and China's Dacheng Poised for Historic Union". American Lawyer. 22 January 2015.
- "SNR Denton and Salans prepare to seal three-way deal with Canada's FMC". The Lawyer. 7 November 2012. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- "SNR Denton prepares for mega-merger". The Washington Post. 11 November 2012. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- "Salans, SNR and FMC approve three-way merger after partner votes". The Lawyer. 28 November 2012. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- "Dentons launches in Houston to target energy work". The Lawyer. 24 September 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Dacheng Inks Merger with Dentons, Creates Legal Behemoth". Legal Business Online. 22 January 2015.
- "Dentons to merge with smaller law firm McKenna Long" (Press release). Reuters. 8 April 2015.
- Cohen, Mark A. (9 December 2015). "Around The World, It's 'Hola, Dentons!'". Bloomberg BNA. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- "Dentons Enters Central America With New Firm Combo - Law360". www.law360.com. Retrieved 2016-12-06.
- "Dentons Tacks On 3 Gadens Offices In Downsized Tie-Up - Law360". www.law360.com. Retrieved 2016-12-06.
- "Lobbying world". The Hill. December 5, 2017. Retrieved December 16, 2017.
Law and lobby firm Dentons has launched 3D Global Affairs as part of an alliance with strategic communications and political intelligence firm Definers Public Affairs, run by Matt Rhoades, the former campaign manager for Mitt Romney’s presidential run in 2012 and former Republican National Committee research director Joe Pounder. 3D Global Affairs offers clients legal teams, lobbying and advocacy help, digital advertising, data analytics, opposition research and political intelligence, among other services.
- "Dentons announces seven new partnerships - Leaders League". www.leadersleague.com. Retrieved 2018-05-01.