|No. of offices||136 across 57 countries|
|No. of lawyers||Approx. 7,700|
|Major practice areas||General practice|
|Key people||Joseph Andrew
(Chairman of the Board and the Advisory Committee)
(Chief Executive Officer)
|Revenue||US$2.12 billion (2015/16)|
|Date founded||28 March 2013 (by merger)|
|Company type||Swiss Verein|
Dentons is a multinational law firm. It is the world's largest law firm measured by number of lawyers, and the world's sixth-largest measured by 2015/16 revenues. It was founded in March 2013 by the merger of SNR Denton, Fraser Milner Casgrain and Salans; Dentons subsequently merged with the Chinese law firm Dacheng in 2015. Dentons has more than 136 offices across 50-plus countries, with approximately 7,700 lawyers. The firm is decentralised and has no headquarters, although the firm's senior leadership are primarily based in Beijing, London and Washington D.C.
Dentons consists of multiple legal entities, namely Dentons Canada LLP, Dentons Europe LLP, Dentons UKMEA LLP, Dentons US LLP and their respective affiliates. These entities cooperate through a Swiss Verein called Salans FMC SNR Denton Group, which does not itself provide legal services. The firm is called Dentons in English and all languages other than Chinese, in which it is called 大成 (Dacheng). The logo features the Chinese characters globally, with the lettering 大成 Dentons.
On 11 November 2012, SNR Denton, Salans and the Canada-based Fraser Milner Casgrain announced a three-way merger, forming a new law firm structured as a Swiss Verein and named Dentons. The partners of the three firms ratified the merger on 28 November 2012, and it was completed on 28 March 2013. Dentons opened an office in Houston, Texas in September 2013.
On January 26, 2015, Dentons announced that it was combining with a Chinese firm, Dacheng (Chinese: 大成) which was completed in November 2015. The new firm is called 大成 in Chinese, and is called Dentons in other languages. The logo features the Chinese characters for Dacheng globally, with the lettering 大成 Dentons. Following the Dacheng combination, Dentons surpassed Baker & McKenzie and DLA Piper, the world’s previous top law firms by headcount, by at least 2,500 lawyers.
2015 saw several other major regional expansions for the firm. In April, Dentons US agreed to a merger with Atlanta-based law firm McKenna Long & Aldridge which was completed in June of that year. The firm also opened new offices in Hungary, Luxembourg, Singapore and South Africa during 2015 and announced combinations with firms in Australia, Colombia, and Mexico. The firm also launched Nextlaw Labs, a business accelerator focused on investing in, developing and deploying new technologies to transform the practice of law, in May 2015. Dentons also announced in November 2016 that it would become the first global law firm with a footprint in Central America by combining with Muñoz Global, adding offices in Panama, Nicaragua and Costa Rica.
In December 2016, Dentons launched in Australia and Papua New Guinea by combining with the Australian law firm Gadens. The Sydney, Perth and Port Moresby offices of Gadens joined Dentons, while the Adelaide and Brisbane offices became "associate offices" and the Melbourne office remained independent. The Gadens combination resulted in Dentons having approximately 7,600 lawyers serving 57 countries.
In 2017, Costa Rican law firm Muñoz Global combined with Dentons and, thus, Dentons Muñoz was created. Dentons Muñoz is the Costa Rican -and Central American- chapter of Dentons. Dentons Muñoz currently has offices in Costa Rica (cities of San José and Liberia), Panamá (Panama City), and Guatemala (Guatemala City). 
Main practice areas
Dentons' main practice areas include:
- Antitrust and Competition
- Banking and Finance
- Bankruptcy, Insolvency and Restructuring
- Capital Markets
- Employment, Benefits and Pensions
- Intellectual Property
- International Arbitration
- International Trade
- Life Sciences and Health Care
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Public Policy and Regulation
- Real Estate
- Trusts, Estates and Wealth Management
- Venture Capital
Dentons is a polycentric firm with 125+ offices covering North America, Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific, China, and Africa.
- "New-look Dentons to be 'most multi-cultural' law firm". The Lawyer. 12 November 2012. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- "Fact Sheet" (PDF). Dentons. Retrieved 28 January 2015.
- "The Global 100: The Richest Law Firms In The World (2016)". Above the Law. 26 September 2016. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "Dacheng to Form Biggest Law Firm with Dentons Merger". Bloomberg. 22 January 2015.
- "Dentons and China's Dacheng Poised for Historic Union". American Lawyer. 22 January 2015.
- "China's Biggest Law Firm Nears Merger with Dentons". Wall Street Journal. 22 January 2015.
- "Led by lawyers who listen". Dentons. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Legal notices". Dentons. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "Frequently Asked Questions". 大成 and Dentons. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "SNR Denton and Salans prepare to seal three-way deal with Canada's FMC". The Lawyer. 7 November 2012. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- "SNR Denton prepares for mega-merger". The Washington Post. 11 November 2012. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- "Salans, SNR and FMC approve three-way merger after partner votes". The Lawyer. 28 November 2012. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- "Dentons launches in Houston to target energy work". The Lawyer. 24 September 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Dacheng Inks Merger with Dentons, Creates Legal Behemoth". Legal Business Online. 22 January 2015.
- "Dentons to merge with smaller law firm McKenna Long" (Press release). Reuters. 8 April 2015.
- Cohen, Mark A. (9 December 2015). "Around The World, It's 'Hola, Dentons!'". Bloomberg BNA. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- "Dentons Launches NextLaw Labs Creates Legal Business Accelerator". www.dentons.com. Retrieved 2016-06-24.
- "Dentons Enters Central America With New Firm Combo - Law360". www.law360.com. Retrieved 2016-12-06.
- "Dentons Tacks On 3 Gadens Offices In Downsized Tie-Up - Law360". www.law360.com. Retrieved 2016-12-06.
- "Dentons Muñoz". Dentons Muñoz. Dentons Muñoz. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Fact Sheet" (PDF). Dentons. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- "Global map" (PDF). Dentons. Retrieved 20 May 2015.