Denys R. Martin
Colonel Denys Richard Martin (11 October 1892 – 1970) ranks among the most distinguished philatelists of the Twentieth century. As a systematic scholar and prolific writer, Martin illuminated some of the most difficult topics and set a high standard for the study of the postage stamps and postal history of India and Burma.
As a regular British Army officer of the Royal Engineers, Martin arrived in India during the First World War and travelled throughout the subcontinent during the next twenty years.
Martin's collection included postal history material from the Persian Field Force, the Abyssinian campaigns and the Treaty Ports, which are now in the Government of India's collection.
- Fellow of the Royal Philatelic Society London (FRPSL).
- Crawford Medal for The Four Annas Lithographed Stamps of India, 1854-55, 1932.
- Signed the Roll of Distinguished Philatelists in 1939.
- Half Anna Lithographed Stamps of India. 1928. (With E.A. Smythies)
- The Four Annas Lithographed Stamps of India, 1854-55. London: Philatelic Society of India and Stanley Gibbons, 1930. (With E.A. Smythies)
- Five appendices in L. E. Dawson, The One Anna and Two Annas Postage Stamps of India, 1854-55. Philatelic Society of India, H. Garratt-Adams & Co. and Stanley Gibbons, Ltd., London (1948): Die I, A Stone, No. 7 - p. 66; Die I, B Stone, Nos. 2, 28 and 64 - p. 67; India, 1854. Pin Perforated - p. 73; One Anna, 1854, Numbers Printed - p. 75; and The Two Annas, 1854, Some Problems - p. 81..
- Pakistan Overprints on Indian Stamps, 1948-49, London: Robson Lowe, 1959.
- The Second Afghan War. 1961.
- The Bombay-Karachi Sea Post Office. 1963. (With G.C. Danby)
- Indian Travelling Post Offices 1864-1891. London: Robson Lowe, 1969. First printed in The Philatelist.
- Numbers in Early Indian Cancellations, London: Robson Lowe, 1970.
- Burma Postal History, Including the 1987 Supplement. London: Robson Lowe, 1971. (With Gerald Davis.)
- Overseas Letter Postage from India 1854-1876. 1975. (editor with Neil Blair)
- Bateman, Robert. Stamp collectors' who's who. London: Stanley Gibbons, 1960, p. 59.
- Who Was Who in British Philately, Association of British Philatelic Societies, 2012. Retrieved 18 January 2013. Archived here.
- These were exhibited by the Government of India's P & T Directorate during the International Stamp Exhibition in London, 18–26 September 1970. India Post (Sep/Oct 1970)
- India Study Circle home page
|This biographical article related to the British Army is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a British philatelist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|