Guerra with the Fort Myers Miracle
|Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim|
April 17, 1989 |
San Felix, Venezuela
|June 27, 2015, for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through September 9, 2016)
|Earned run average||3.78|
Deolis Alexander Guerra (born April 17, 1989) is a Venezuelan professional baseball pitcher in the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim organization. He previously played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Pittsburgh Pirates.
New York Mets
Guerra signed with the New York Mets as a non-drafted free agent on July 2, 2005. He was named South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week on July 30, 2006. On July 8, 2007, Guerra represented the New York Mets' organization for the World Team in Major League Baseball's All-Star Futures Game.
With the Fort Myers Miracle, he compiled a 7–2 record with a 4.83 earned run average in the first half of the 2008 season—helping his team capture the Florida State League (FSL) first-half West Division title. Guerra's first start in the second half of the 2008 season (Tuesday, July 1) was a 4–0 complete game shutout of the Tampa Yankees. He allowed only three hits, and retired 19 in a row between a first inning single by James Cooper and a one-out single by Andres Perez in the seventh. It marked the first shutout of Guerra’ professional career. For the second half, he went 4–7 with a 6.08 ERA in 13 starts.
The Miracle again captured the first half division title in 2009, this time in the FSL's newly realigned Southern Division, and Guerra brought a no hitter into the eighth inning of a July 3 game against the Charlotte Stone Crabs. With one out, Christian López broke it up with a double down the left field line. Guerra was promoted to the New Britain Rock Cats immediately after this game (July 7). He was named FSL pitcher of the week for the week of June 29 through July 5. His combined record for Fort Myers and New Britain was 12–11 with a 4.89 ERA and 106 strikeouts.
On November 20, 2009, he was added to the Twins' 40-man roster. He began the 2010 season with New Britain, going 1–1 with a 3.07 ERA in five starts prior to being promoted to triple-A. During the 2012 season, the Twins converted Guerra into a relief pitcher. The Twins removed Guerra from their 40-man roster after the 2012 season.
Guerra signed a minor league deal with the Pittsburgh Pirates in November 2014. The Pirates promoted him to the major leagues on June 27, 2015. He was designated for assignment on July 31. The Cleveland Indians claimed Guerra off of waivers, but the claim was rescinded due to Guerra experiencing knee inflammation, and was placed on the Pirates' disabled list. The Pirates designated Guerra for assignment after the 2015 season, but signed him to a minor league contract with an invitation to 2016 spring training.
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
On December 10, 2015, Guerra was claimed in the Rule 5 draft by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. He was designated for assignment on May 30, 2016, and outrighted to Triple-A on June 3. The next day, the Angels re-selected Guerra's contract, adding him to the 25-man roster. On February 10, 2017, Guerra was designated for assignment.
- "World beats U.S. team in All-Star Futures game". ESPN.com. Retrieved March 26, 2016.
- "Twins acquire Carlos Gomez, Philip Humber, Kevin Mulvey and Deolis Guerra from the New York Mets" (Press release). Major League Baseball Advanced Media. February 2, 2008. Retrieved April 23, 2012.
- "Guerra Tosses Complete Game Gem in 4–0 Miracle Win". Retrieved July 20, 2008.
- "Guerra takes no-hitter into eighth". Retrieved July 4, 2009.
- "Twins add six to fill out 40-man roster". Retrieved November 20, 2009.
- "Wings add two pitchers from Double-A". May 10, 2010.
- "Minnesota Twins pitcher Deolis Guerra still keeping the faith". TwinCities.com. Retrieved June 28, 2015.
- "Minnesota Twins pitcher Deolis Guerra moved to intensive care". TwinCities.com. Retrieved June 28, 2015.
- "Reliever Scahill goes on DL, Deolis Guerra is promoted from Indianapolis". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved June 28, 2015.
- "Pirates DFA Guerra; outright Hernandez to Indianapolis". Pittsburgh Sporting News. Retrieved August 18, 2015.
- Fox Sports. "Cleveland Indians claim reliever Guerra off waivers from Pittsburgh". FOX Sports. Retrieved August 18, 2015.
- "Deolis Guerra returned to Pittsburgh Pirates, placed on DL with left knee inflammation". ESPN.com. Retrieved August 18, 2015.
- "At winter meetings in Nashville, Pirates sign six minor-league free agents". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved March 26, 2016.
- slasher016. "2015 Rule 5 Draft Results". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved March 26, 2016.
- Todd, Jeff (May 30, 2016). "Angels Designate Deolis Guerra, Activate Huston Street". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved May 30, 2016.
- Adams, Steve (June 3, 2016). "Minor MLB Transactions: 6/3/16". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved June 3, 2016.
- Adler, David (February 10, 2017). "Angels acquire pitcher Adams from Indians". MLB.com. Retrieved February 10, 2017.