Deontay Wilder vs. Tyson Fury II
|Date||February 22, 2020|
|Venue||MGM Grand Garden Arena, Paradise, Nevada, U.S.|
|Title(s) on the line||WBC, vacant The Ring, and lineal heavyweight titles|
|Tale of the tape|
|Fury wins via 7th-round technical knockout|
Deontay Wilder vs. Tyson Fury II, billed as Unfinished Business, was a heavyweight professional boxing rematch between undefeated and reigning WBC champion Deontay Wilder and undefeated former unified WBA (Super), IBF, WBO, IBO, The Ring, and lineal champion Tyson Fury, for the WBC and vacant The Ring, and lineal heavyweight titles. The first fight ended in a controversial split draw. The fight was jointly promoted by the American Al Haymon's Premier Boxing Champions, Bob Arum's Top Rank and British Frank Warren's Queensberry Promotions. The event took place on February 22, 2020, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, Paradise, Nevada. Fury won the bout by seventh-round technical knockout (TKO).
The fight was a rematch after the controversial split decision draw between Wilder and Fury on December 1, 2018. 27 leading Boxing journalists and publications scored the bout 15 for Fury as the winner and 3 for Wilder with 9 scoring it a draw. After the bout, there were calls for an immediate rematch. The WBC announced in February 2019 that there would not be an immediate rematch as Fury signed a contract with ESPN and Top Rank that meant the negotiations would be more difficult as the rematch would be a co-promotion, of which there had only been two before: Lennox Lewis vs. Mike Tyson in 2002 and Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao in 2015.
As the rematch was delayed, Fury and Wilder both scheduled fights for the interim. On May 18, 2019, Wilder faced Dominic Breazeale (20–1, 18 KOs) and recorded a first-round KO. A few weeks later on June 15, 2019, Fury took on Tom Schwarz (24–0, 16 KOs) and scored a second-round TKO. Fury followed this stoppage win with a 12-round unanimous decision victory over Otto Wallin (20–0, 13 KOs) on September 14, 2019. Wilder then had a rematch with Luis Ortiz (31–1, 26 KOs) on November 23, 2019, and won by seventh-round KO.
Both Fury and Wilder called each other out after their fights, and the rematch was officially announced on December 27, 2019 for February 22, 2020 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
|Main Card (PPV)|
|Heavyweight||Tyson Fury||def.||Deontay Wilder||TKO||7/12||1:39||[a]|
|Heavyweight||Charles Martin||def.||Gerald Washington||TKO||6/12||1:57||[b]|
|Junior featherweight||Emanuel Navarrete||def.||Jeo Santisima||TKO||11/12||2:20||[c]|
|Light middleweight||Sebastian Fundora||def.||Daniel Lewis||UD||10|
|Light welterweight||Javier Molina||def.||Amir Imam||UD||8|
|Light welterweight||Petros Ananyan||def.||Subriel Matías||UD||10|
On December 27, 2019, due to the fighters' respective television rights being held by the two networks, it was announced that the United States pay-per-view of the fight would be a joint presentation of ESPN (Top Rank rightsholder) and Fox Sports (PBC rightsholder). The PPV was largely produced by ESPN staff, and was called by Lennox Lewis and Andre Ward, joined by ESPN's Joe Tessitore at ringside. Timothy Bradley (Fox), Max Kellerman (ESPN), Brian Kenny (Fox), and Shawn Porter (Fox) served as analysts.
ESPN employed its largest production it had ever used for a boxing telecast, including 38 cameras (which included a pair of new wide-angle "bumper cams" installed within the mat on two corners of the ring), microphones above the ring, and a 360-degree replay system. During the week leading up to the fight, both ESPN and Fox Sports 1 aired editions of their studio programs from around the MGM Grand complex: ESPN broadcast special editions of First Take, Max on Boxing, and SportsCenter on-location from a stage outside the Kà theater, while Fox Sports 1 likewise aired editions of Speak for Yourself from the MGM Grand Race & Sports Book. Both networks aired promos for the event during flagship sports telecasts, including the 2020 College Football Playoff National Championship and Super Bowl LIV. Fox produced a four-part documentary series, Inside Wilder-Fury II, to lead towards the fight.
Top Rank owner Bob Arum stated that there were provisional plans for a six-match preliminary undercard that would be split between Top Rank and PBC, with separate telecasts on an ESPN network and a Fox Sports network to air their respective half of the card. The two-fight preliminary card was simulcast between ESPN (with the first half-hour airing on ESPNews due to scheduling conflicts), Fox Sports 1, and Fox Deportes.
|Free to air||Cable/pay television||PPV||Stream|
|United States (host)||N/A||ESPN||ESPN+|
|FS1||Fox||Fox Sports Go|
|United Kingdom||N/A||BT Sport Box Office|
|France||N/A||Canal+ Sport||N/A||My Canal|
|Mola TV||N/A||Mola TV On Demand|
|N/A||Fight Sports MAX|
|Mexico||Azteca 7||N/A||Azteca En Vivo|
|New Zealand||N/A||Sky Arena||N/A|
|Philippines||N/A||Cignal PPV||Cignal Play|
|Sky Sports||Sky On Demand|
|Poland||TVP Sport||N/A||TVP Stream|
|Russia||REN TV||N/A||REN TV|
|United States||The Star-Spangled Banner||Gavin DeGraw|||
|United Kingdom||God Save the Queen||Danny Walten|
- "Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder 2: Fight confirmed for Las Vegas in 2020 as 'Gypsy King' vows to knock out world champion". The Independent. 27 December 2019. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- Dev (2019-12-27). "IT'S ON: WILDER vs FURY 2 OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED". Frank Warren. Retrieved 2019-12-29.
- "Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury meet in Heavyweight Title Rematch Feb. 22". Premier Boxing Champions. Retrieved 2019-12-27.
- "Fury vs Wilder 2 is ON for 2/22 – Top Rank Boxing". Top Rank. Retrieved 2019-12-27.
- "DEONTAY WILDER VS. TYSON FURY: HOW DID THE MEDIA SCORE THE FIRST FIGHT?". DAZN.com. Retrieved 2020-02-22.
- "WBC confirms Deontay Wilder vs. Tyson Fury immediate heavyweight title rematch will not happen". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- "Deontay Wilder knocks Luis Ortiz out with single punch in Round 7 of heavyweight rematch". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- "Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury rematch announced for February 22 in Las Vegas". Sky Sports. Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- "Wilder-Fury rematch set for MGM Grand in Vegas". ESPN.com. 2019-12-27. Retrieved 2019-12-30.
- Dachman, Jason. "Wilder vs. Fury II: ESPN, Fox Sports Team Up on Outsize Boxing Production in Vegas". Sports Video Group. Retrieved 2020-02-23.
- Umstead, R. Thomas. "ESPN, Fox Sports Give Wilder-Fury a One-Two Punch". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved 2020-02-23.
- Christ, Scott (2019-12-28). "Wilder vs Fury 2 undercard to be split between Top Rank and PBC". Bad Left Hook (SB Nation). Vox Media. Retrieved 2019-12-31.
- "Two bouts now on Wilder-Fury pre-PPV telecast". ESPN.com. 2020-02-06. Retrieved 2020-02-19.
- "Boxing Insider Notebook: Juarez, Imam, Flores, Parker, Winters, and more..." BoxingInsider.com. 2020-02-12. Retrieved 2020-02-19.
- Dams, Tim (2020-01-14). "BT Sport wins rights to Fury vs Wilder rematch". Broadcast. Retrieved 2020-01-14.
- "Ray Flores on Instagram: "Ring announcing prelims on @fs1 and @espn tonight #WilderFury2 then calling the PPV for the international telecast. Purple pocket square…"". Instagram. Retrieved 2020-02-23.
- "Crystina Poncher on Instagram: "It's #WilderFury2 FIGHT NIGHT!!!!!! @sbrflores and I will be calling the International Pay-Per-View for over 100 countries around the world…"". Instagram. Retrieved 2020-02-23.
- Damon, Ben (2020-01-25). "Australian Daniel Lewis (6-0) will fight 197cm southpaw Sebastian Fundora (13-0-1) on the Wilder v Fury 2 undercard. Lewis will have a 19cm height disadvantage! The fight will be part of the @MainEventTV broadcast pic.twitter.com/7k0dtNcO6P". Twitter. Retrieved 2020-01-29.
- "DAZN gets DACH rights to Wilder-Fury rematch | News | Sportcal". www.sportcal.com. Retrieved 2020-02-02.
- dartortorromeo (2020-02-06). "Wilder vs Fury II, diretta Tv su DAZN e il resto del programma". DARIO TORROMEO (in Italian). Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- DAZN (2020-02-08). "Hola @kentberrygirona, el combate Deontay Wilder vs. Tyson Fury II será retransmitido en directo el domingo 23/02 a las 03:00. Un saludo". Twitter (in Spanish). Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- "TV3 Sport Latvija on Instagram: "23. februārī tiešajā ēterā skaties vienu no ievērojamākajiem boksa mačiem šogad - Deontay Wilder vs. Tyson Fury II. #tv3sport #box…"". Instagram. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- "RING излъчва мегасблъсъка Тайсън Фюри - Дионтей Уайлдър (ВИДЕО)". bTV Новините. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- Canal+ Sport (2020-02-03). "#WilderVsFury2 Ça va cogner très fort au MGM Grand Garden Arena de Las Vegas La revanche du combat de boxe le plus attendu du moment est une nouvelle fois à vivre sur CANAL+, dimanche 23 février en direct à partir de 3H !". Twitter (in French). Retrieved 2020-02-03.
- tvOne (2020-02-21). "Saksikan Live World Boxing WBC World Heavyweight TItle, WIlder VS Fury. LIVE Minggu, 23 Februari 2020 jam 09.00 WIB hanya di tvOne & streaming tvOne Connect". Twitter (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- "Mola TV on Instagram: "Pertarungan tinju terakbar yang memperebutkan gelar juara dunia kelas berat versi WBC akan terlaksana pada akhir bulan ini. Pemegang gelar…"". Instagram. Retrieved 2020-02-14.
- "プラスW｜WOWOWオンライン". WOWOW (in Japanese). Retrieved 2020-02-02.
- MinutoRioja (2020-01-26). "Este 22 de febrero @ESPNKnockOut transmitirá para toda Latinoamérica el esperado combate entre Deontay Wilder y Tyson Fury 2. Desde ya, abróchense los cinturones #espnknockoutpic.twitter.com/Th6KX4N0HA". @MinutoRiojaLR (in Spanish). Retrieved 2020-01-29.
- "Deontay Wilder vs Tyson Fury a través de 'La Casa del Boxeo', esto es: Boxeo en Corto". Azteca Deportes (in Spanish). 2020-02-15. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- "Titelgevecht Wilder vs Fury II Exclusief bij Kijk.nl". Talpa TV. 2020-02-13. Retrieved 2020-02-14.
- "Nent lands Nordic rights to Wilder v Fury II". SportBusiness. 2020-01-30. Retrieved 2020-01-30.
- "Lo Mejor del Boxeo on Instagram: "Estas son nuestras próximas transmisiones internacionales en el mes de febrero por RPC Canal 4. @deportesrpc"". Instagram. Retrieved 2020-02-03.
- "CIGNAL TV - Wilder vs Fury 2 PPV". Cignal TV. Retrieved 2020-02-14.
- "Deontay Wilder vs Tyson Fury on SKY Pay-Per-View". Sky Cable. Retrieved 2020-02-17.
- TVP. "Starcie gigantów w Las Vegas. Wilder vs. Fury 2 w TVP Sport!". TVP Sport (in Polish). Retrieved 2020-02-14.
- "Зрители РЕН ТВ увидят бой-реванш Фьюри и Уайлдера в прямом эфире". РЕН ТВ (in Russian). 2020-02-03. Retrieved 2020-02-03.
- "SuperSport seals the deal for Wilder-Fury II super-fight". SuperSport. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- https://www.pptvhd36.com. "พีพีทีวี ยิงสดมวยโลกรุ่นยักษ์ ใหญ่สุดแห่งปี "ไวลเดอร์" ตะบัน "ฟิวรี่" ตัดสินแชมป์ 23 ก.พ.นี้". PPTV (in Thai). Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- "Wilder vs Fury Rövanşını Türkiye'de Yayınlayacak Kanal Belli Oldu | Boks Haberleri | Fight Club Türkiye". Türkiye'nin Dövüş Sporları Web Sitesi (in Turkish). 2020-01-27. Retrieved 2020-01-28.
- Herald, N. Z. "Tyson Fury knocks out Deontay Wilder to claim world title!". Radio Sport. Retrieved 2020-02-23.
vs. Luis Ortiz
|Deontay Wilder's bouts||Succeeded by|
vs. Otto Wallin
|Tyson Fury's bouts||Succeeded by|