|Motto||Inspired by Life|
|Founder||Dr. T. M. A. Pai|
|Chancellor||Dr. Ramdas M Pai|
|Location||Manipal, Karnataka, India|
|Campus||Suburban, 230 acres (0.93 km2)|
Manipal University, formerly Manipal Academy of Higher Education, is a private research and educational institute located in Manipal, Karnataka, India. Manipal is extremely close to the temple town of Udupi. The nearest airport is Mangalore, which is an international airport. There is also a sea port in Mangalore. Convenient transportation is available all the time from Mangalore to Manipal. The nearest major railway station is also in Mangalore. It has over 28,000 students from 52 countries. The university has branch campuses in Dubai, Mangalore, Sikkim, and Jaipur. It is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
|List of vice chancellors|
In 1953, T.M.A. Pai founded India's first private medical school, Kasturba Medical College, and five years later the Manipal Institute of Technology was formed. Ramdas Pai took over the management in 1979 after the death of T.M.A. Pai. Initially all degrees were awarded by Karnatak University Dharwad and later Mysore University. From 1980 to 1993 they were awarded by Mangalore University. The current organizational structure was formed in 1993, when Manipal University (then known as the Manipal Academy of Higher Education) was accorded deemed university status by the University Grants Commission. The university is certified as an ISO 14001:2004 organization. In 2007, it rebranded itself as Manipal University. The legal name remains the Manipal Academy of Higher Education.
The university is composed of the following schools:
- Kasturba Medical College, Manipal and Mangalore
- Manipal Life Science Center, Manipal
- Manipal College of Dental Sciences Manipal and Mangalore
- Manipal College of Nursing, Manipal, Mangalore and Bangalore
- Faculty of Architecture, Planning and Design, Manipal
- Manipal College of Allied Health Sciences, Manipal, Mangalore and Bangalore
- Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal
- Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal
- International Center for Applied Sciences, Manipal
- School Of Information Sciences, Manipal
- School of Management, Manipal
- Melaka Manipal Medical College, Malacca, Malaysia
- Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration, Manipal
- School of Jewellery Management, Manipal
- Manipal Institute of Communication, Manipal and Bangalore
- School of Regenerative Medicine, Bangalore
- Department of European Studies, Manipal
- Manipal Centre for Philosophy and Humanities, Manipal
- ICICI Manipal Academy, Bangalore
The university is made up of the following departments:
- Department of Geopolitics, Manipal
- Department of Commerce, Manipal
- Department of Statistics, Manipal
- Department of Public Health, Manipal
- Department of Sciences, Manipal
- Department of Atomic and Molecular Physics, Manipal
- Department of Advanced Pharmaceutical Science, Manipal
- Department of Culinary Arts, Manipal
There is one autonomous institute
|General – international|
|General – India|
Internationally, Manipal University was ranked 701-750 in the QS World University Rankings of 2018. The same institute ranked it 200 in Asia and 101-110 among BRICS nations in 2016. It was ranked 39 in India by Careers360's in 2017, second among private universities.
Campuses in Manipal
Manipal Institute of Technology Campus
The Innovation Centre was established during the 50th anniversary of the Manipal Institute of Technology. It is a research center in which funding is provided to students, faculty and the university.
Manipal University offers 218 programs in 19 disciplines. The programs are offered in the areas of Allied Health, Architecture, Basic & Advanced Sciences, Communication, Dentistry, Engineering, European Studies & Foreign Languages, Geopolitics & International Relations, Hospitality, Humanities, Information Sciences, Life Sciences, Management (MBA), Medicine, Natural Sciences, Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health, and Regenerative Medicine.
Manipal University has a chain of six libraries.
Budgetary provisions are given for research through capital allocations for the maintenance of animal facility, consumables, equipment etc. ₹1.5 crore (US$230,000) was sanctioned to MIT in 2008–2009 towards funding innovation. MCOPS, Manipal sends its second-year postgraduate (PG) students for collaborative research programmes at R&D centres all over the country. Often the research carried out by them becomes a part of the intellectual property of the company.
The Manipal Life Science Centre has a research team and is undertaking several research projects funded by DBT, DST, etc. MLSC is linked to several international research institutions such as Wistar Institute Philadelphia, University of Queensland, etc.
Manipal Advanced Research Group
The Manipal Advanced Research Group was formed in early 2006 with an aim to grow new research projects in fundamental sciences and promote interdisciplinary cooperation in areas between basic research, biomedical science and engineering.
- Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft
- Rajeev Suri, CEO of Nokia
- M G George Muthoot, Chairman of the Muthoot Group
- Anant J Talaulicar, president and CEO, Cummins India Ltd
- Pankaj Oswal, Indian-Australian businessman, chairman and CEO of Burrup Holdings
- Rajeev Chandrasekhar, MP (Bangalore); President-CEO of Juniper capital; former FICCI president; former founder-CEO of BPL Mobile
- Mirza Faizan, founder and CEO of Avembsys Technologies
- A. V. Baliga, physician and educationist
- Annapoorna Kini, American cardiologist and professor of cardiology
- Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor, cardiac surgeon
- Devi Shetty, Indian cardiologist
- Belle Monappa Hegde, medical scientist
- Vinod Jose, editor in chief of Indian magazine The Caravan
- Arun Shenoy, Grammy award nominated musician
- Sudhish Kamath, film critic and independent filmmaker
- Vikas Khanna, Michelin Starred Indian Chef, Restaurateur, Cookbook Author, Filmmaker, Humanitarian and Judge of MasterChef India
- Shriya Kishore, Pantaloons Femina Miss India Earth 2009
- Nithya Menen, film actress and playback singer
- Parvathy Nair, model and actress
- Nitya Prakash, author
- Sherin Obaid, UI/UX designer
- "Manipal University Top Amongst the Indian Private Universities in the QS Asian University Rankings". Retrieved 2014-06-10.
- "Manipal University Overview". manipal.edu. Retrieved 5 August 2011.
- "Dr. HS Ballal appointed as new Vice Chancellor of MAHE". oneIndia.in. 2 September 2003.
- "Adieu to Dr. Raj Warrier" (PDF). Departmental News. Department of Pediatrics ~ LSUMC New Orleans. 9 (2). May 2007.
- "K. Ramnarayan, Manipal varsity Vice-Chancellor". The Hindu. 31 May 2010.
- "Dr H Vinod Bhat, Manipal varsity Vice-Chancellor". Manipal University. 1 June 2015.
- Jayashankar, Mitu; D'Souza, Nilofer (September 12, 2011). "(untitled article)". Forbes India Magazine.
- "UGC accreditation". Manipal gets deemed university status. University Grants Commission. Retrieved 5 April 2011.
- "Green Manipal". Retrieved 5 April 2011.
- http://express-press-release.net/34/MAHE,%20now%20Manipal%20University,%20Introduces%20online%20entrance%20tests%20for%20admissions%20to%20its%20programs.php. Express Press Release. 26-02-2007. Accessed 03-06-2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 6 January 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-19. universities/manipal.html. Deemed Universities. University Grants Commission. 2006. Accessed 03-06-2012.
- "QS World University Rankings 2018". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2017. Retrieved June 12, 2017.
- "QS BRICS University Rankings 2016". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2016. Retrieved April 20, 2016.
- "QS Asian University Rankings 2016". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2016. Retrieved April 20, 2016.
- "Top Universities in India 2017". Careers360. 2017.
- "Campus area". Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "Engineering, Architecture, Hotel Management & Nursing Courses - Manipal University". manipal.edu. Retrieved 2017-02-07.
- "Bachelor of Technology, Master of Business Administration, Master of Science & Architecture - Manipal University". collegesearch.in. Retrieved 2017-04-12.
- "Library". Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "Research Overview". Archived from the original on 5 September 2012. Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- "MARG". Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- "TOI-MARG". The Times Of India. 2009-03-10. Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- Anant J. Talaulicar. "Anant J. Talaulicar: Executive Profile & Biography - Businessweek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- "Preventing Runway Incursions | Airports International | The Airport Industry online, the latest airport industry news". Airports International. 2011-09-28. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- "Scientist from Patna shortlisted for award - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2014-01-28. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- "Bihari develops system to prevent runway mishaps - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- "Scientist grip on plane safety". Telegraphindia.com. 2013-08-27. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- "Scientist zooms into aeronautics cradle". Telegraphindia.com. 2013-12-23. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- https://archive.is/20140726135917/http://www.ahmedabadmirror.com/article/3/201107122011071202591682154dec485/Hope-it%E2%80%99s-an-end-to-nearmisses-.html. Archived from the original on 26 July 2014. Retrieved July 24, 2014. Missing or empty
- "Mirza Faizan, Aerospace scientist from India won Airline Industry Innovation Award". YouTube. 2014-03-17. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- Banmali Agrawala. "Banmali Agrawala BE (Mech. Eng.): Executive Profile & Biography - Businessweek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Manipal University.|