Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations
|Formed||3 December 2007|
|Dissolved||18 September 2013|
|Jurisdiction||Commonwealth of Australia|
|Employees||4,122 (at April 2013)|
It was formed in 2007 and absorbed the former departments of Education, Science and Training, and Employment and Workplace Relations. As a result of an Administrative Arrangements Order issued on 18 September 2013, the Department of Education and the Department of Employment were created out of the former Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations.
In the Administrative Arrangements Order of 3 December 2007, the functions of the department were broadly classified into the following matters:
- Primary and secondary-level education policy and programs
- Science awareness programs in schools
- Income support policies and programs for students and apprentices
- Employment policy, including employment services
- Job Services Australia
- Labour market and income support policies and programs for people of working age
- Workplace relations policy development, advocacy and implementation
- Promotion of flexible workplace relations policies and practices
- Co-ordination of labour market research
- Australian government employment workplace relations policy, including administration of the framework for agreement making and remuneration and conditions
- Occupational health and safety, rehabilitation and compensation
- Equal employment opportunity
- Work and family programs
- Services to help people with disabilities obtain employment, other than supported employment
- Youth affairs and programs, excluding income support policies and programs
- Early childhood and childcare policy and programs
The department assisted in the commercialisation of Australian remote laboratories in higher education, injecting funds into the sector, supporting the foundation of the Labshare project.
- CA 9185: The Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations, National Archives of Australia, retrieved 9 December 2013
- Australian Public Service Commission (2 December 2013), State of the Service Report: State of the Service Series 2012-13 (PDF), Australian Public Service Commission, p. 253, archived from the original (PDF) on 6 December 2013
- "Administrative Arrangements Order" (PDF). Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Commonwealth of Australia. 18 September 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Administrative Arrangement Order of 3 December 2007" (PDF). Government of Australia. 3 December 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 April 2013.