Department of Education Organization Act
The Department of Education Organization Act is a United States federal law enacted in 1980.
Congress established the United States Department of Education (ED) on May 4, 1980, in the Department of Education Organization Act (Public Law 96-88, 93 Stat. 668, October 17, 1979). Under this law, ED's mission is to:
- Strengthen the federal commitment to assuring access to equal educational opportunity for every individual;
- Supplement and complement the efforts of states, the local school systems and other instrumentalities of the states, the private sector, public and private nonprofit educational research institutions, community-based organizations, parents, and students to improve the quality of education;
- Encourage the increased involvement of the public, parents, and students in federal education programs;
- Promote improvements in the quality and usefulness of education through federally supported research, evaluation, and sharing of information;
- Improve the coordination of federal education programs;
- Improve the management of federal education activities; and
- Increase the accountability of federal education programs to the president, the Congress, and the public.
In the Senate, 69 voted in favor and 22 voted against separating education from the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. In the House of Representatives, 215 voted in favor and 201 voted against. President Carter signed the bill on October 17, 1979.
Following the establishment of the Department of Education, the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare was renamed the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Mission. Education Department. Retrieved 19 December 2009.
- Allen, Ira R (September 25, 1979). "New Education Division Facing Trouble In House". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. United Press International.
- "Department of Education Approved by House". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette , via Google News. Associated Press. September 28, 1979.
- "Education Department Created". The Palm Beach Post, via Google News. United Press International. October 18, 1979.
- United States Department of Education official website
- About ED - Overview of the U.S. Department of Education
- How the Department of Education Is Organized
- Copy of the original Department of Education Act (P.L. 96-88; 93 Stat. 668), History of Federal Education Policy website
- 20 USC Sec. 3402, full text of the act as currently in force
- ERIC Digests - Offers full-text access to public domain ERIC Digests produced by the U.S. Department of Education