Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (Queensland)
|Headquarters||400 George Street, Brisbane|
The Department of Environment and Heritage Protection is a department of the Queensland Government which is responsible for protecting the state's natural environment and historic buildings. The minister responsible for the department is Steven Miles.The department's head office is at 400 George Street in the Brisbane CBD.
The Department of Environment and Heritage Protection was established in April 2012, as part of a series of changes to the machinery of government after the LNP's win at the 2012 election. The department took on most of the functions of the Department of Environment and Resource Management which was dissolved.
The department’s role is to act as a strong environmental regulator which supports sustainable long-term economic development of Queensland. It does this by administering a range of environmental regulations and laws, providing timely approval authorities and ensuring compliance with them. In addition to Queensland’s natural environment, the department is also responsible for identifying and conserving the state’s built heritage places. These places contribute to our identity and help define who we are as Queenslanders. They include buildings, structures, cemeteries, archaeological sites, gardens, urban precincts and natural and landscape features. The department’s key activities include:
- Conservation and Sustainability Services, including the implementation of programs to conserve and enhance the health of the state’s natural environment
- Environmental Services and Regulation, including the facilitation of project approvals and industry compliance
- Environmental Policy and Planning, including developing and reforming legislation, plans and programs to support front-line environmental service delivery, manage our ecosystems, waste agenda and our ongoing role in climate change adaptation.
Ministers for this department (and similar predecessors) include:
|23 December 1980||4 August 1983||Bill Hewitt||Minister for Environment, Valuation and Administrative Services|
|5 August 1983||18 August 1983||Col Miller||Minister for Environment, Valuation and Administrative Services|
|19 August 1983||6 February 1986||Martin Tenni||Minister for Environment, Valuation and Administrative Services|
|6 February 1986||1 December 1986||Brian Austin||Minister for Environment and Heritage|
|25 November 1987||1 December 1987||Kev Lingard||Minister for Health and Environment|
|9 December 1987||19 January 1989||Geoff Muntz||Minister for Environment, Conservation and Tourism|
|19 January 1989||25 September 1989||Geoff Muntz||Minister for Environment, Conservation and Forestry|
|25 September 1989||7 December 1989||Paul Clauson||Minister for Heritage and the Arts|
|25 September 1989||7 December 1989||Rob Borbidge||Minister for Tourism, Environment, Conservation and Forestry|
|7 December 1989||24 September 1992||Pat Comben||Minister for Environment and Heritage|
|24 September 1992||31 July 1995||Molly Robson||Minister for Environment and Heritage|
|31 July 1995||19 February 1996||Tom Barton||Minister for Environment and Heritage|
|26 February 1996||26 June 1998||Brian Littleproud||Minister for Environment|
|29 June 1998||22 February 2001||Rod Welford||Minister for Environment and Heritage|
|22 February 2001||12 February 2004||Dean Wells||Minister for Environment|
|12 February 2004||25 August 2004||John Mickel||Minister for Environment|
|25 August 2004||13 September 2006||Desley Boyle||Minister for Environment, Local Government, Planning and Women|
|13 September 2006||1 September 2007||Lindy Nelson-Carr||Minister for Environment and Multiculturalism|
|21 February 2011||22 June 2011||Kate Jones||Minister for Environment and Resource Management|
|22 June 2011||26 March 2012||Vicky Darling||Minister for Environment|
|26 March 2012||3 April 2012||Jeff Seeney||Minister for Environment|
|3 April 2012||13 February 2015||Andrew Powell||Minister for Environment and Heritage Protection|
|2015||current||Steven Miles||Minister for Environment and Heritage Protection|
- "Director-General". Government of Queensland. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "2011-2012 Annual Report - Department of Environment and Heritage Protection" (PDF). Department of Environment and Heritage Protection. Queensland Government. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- "QUEENSLAND MACHINERY OF GOVERNMENT CHANGES". Association of Self Insured Employers of Queensland. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- "Machinery of government changes". Together. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- "About us". Department of Environment and Heritage Protection. 4 July 2012. Retrieved 21 May 2013.
- "Part 2.19 - Alphabetical Register of Members of the Legislative Assembly 1860-2012 and the Legislative Council 1860-1922" (PDF). Queensland Parliamentary Record 2012-2015: The 54th Parliament. Queensland Parliament. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- "Minister". Department of Environment and Heritage Protection. 20 February 2015. Retrieved 14 August 2015.