Department of Immigration, Local Government and Ethnic Affairs
|Formed||24 July 1987|
|Dissolved||24 March 1993|
|Jurisdiction||Commonwealth of Australia|
Information about the department's functions and/or government funding allocation could be found in the Administrative Arrangements Orders, the annual Portfolio Budget Statements and in the Department's annual reports.
According to the Administrative Arrangements Order (AAO) made on 24 July 1987, the Department dealt with:
- Migration, including refugees
- Citizenship and aliens
- Ethic affairs
- Post-arrival arrangements for migrants, other than migrant child education
- Matters relating to local government
- Regional development
The Department was an Australian Public Service department, staffed by officials who were responsible to the Minister for Immigration, Local Government and Ethnic Affairs. The Ministers were Mick Young (until February 1998), then Clyde Holding (from February 1998 until September 1988), then Robert Ray (September 1988 to April 1990 and finally Gerry Hand (April 1990 until March 1993).
- CA 5988: Department of Immigration, Local Government and Ethnic Affairs, Central Office, National Archives of Australia, retrieved 21 November 2013
- Administrative Arrangements Order issued 24 July 1987 (PDF), National Archives of Australia, 24 July 1987, p. 9, archived from the original (PDF) on 27 April 2013
- Department of Immigration and Border Protection, Former Ministers, Parliamentary Secretaries and Secretaries, Department of Immigration and Border Protection, archived from the original on 30 October 2013
- Hawke, Robert (10 April 1990). "APPOINMNET[sic] OF SECRETARY, DEPARTMENT OF IMMIGRATION LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND ETHNIC AFAIRS[sic]" (Press release). Archived from the original on 10 December 2013.
|This Australian government-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|