Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism
|Formed||3 December 2007|
|Dissolved||18 September 2013|
|Jurisdiction||Commonwealth of Australia|
|Employees||685 (at June 2013)|
The Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism was an Australian Government department. It was formed in December 2007 and dissolved on 18 September 2013. The majority of its functions were assumed by the Department of Industry; with the exception of tourism functions that were assumed by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
- Energy policy
- Mineral and energy industries, including oil and gas, and electricity
- National energy market
- Energy-specific international organisations and activities
- Administration of export controls on rough diamonds, uranium and thorium
- Minerals and energy resources research, science and technology
- Tourism industry
- Geoscience research and information services including geodesy, mapping, remote sensing and land information co-ordination
- Radioactive waste management
- Renewable energy technology development
- Clean fossil fuel energy
- Industrial energy efficiency
- energy sources
The Department was an Australian Public Service department, staffed by officials who were responsible to the Minister for Resources, Energy and Tourism.
The Department was headed by a Secretary, initially Peter Boxall. When Boxall announced his retirement in 2008, John Pierce was appointed in his place. Pierce was succeeded by Drew Clarke in April 2010. Clarke shifted to the Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy in February 2013.
- CA 9195: The Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism, National Archives of Australia, retrieved 6 December 2013
- Australian Public Service Commission (2 December 2013), State of the Service Report: State of the Service Series 2012-13 (PDF), Australian Public Service Commission, p. 254, archived from the original (PDF) on 6 December 2013
- "Administrative Arrangement Order of 3 December 2007" (PDF). Government of Australia. 3 December 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 April 2013.
- Noel Towell (18 September 2013). "Three public service department heads sacked by Abbott government". The Canberra Times. Fairfax Media.
- Tony Abbott (18 September 2013). "The Coalition will restore strong, stable and accountable government" (Press release). Canberra, Australia: Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Archived from the original on 20 September 2013. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "Administrative Arrangements Order made on 14 September 2010" (PDF). Australian Government Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet. Archived from the original (PDF) on 26 September 2013.
- Rudd, Kevin (24 December 2008). "Appointment of Departmental Secretaries" (Press release). Archived from the original on 1 February 2014.
- Our Secretary: Drew Clarke, Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism, 18 January 2011, archived from the original on 14 March 2011
- Peake, Ross (11 February 2013). "PM's new department head 'an asset'". The Canberra Times. Fairfax Media. Archived from the original on 11 January 2014.
- Peake, Ross (18 February 2013). "Public service role changes". The Canberra Times. Fairfax Media. Archived from the original on 19 February 2014.