Department of Telecommunications
|Jurisdiction||Government of India|
|Headquarters||New Delhi, India|
|Parent department||Ministry of Communications and Information Technology|
The Department of Telecommunications, abbreviated to DoT, is a department of the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology of the executive branch of the Government of India.
Telecom services have been recognized the world-over as an important tool for socio-economic development for a nation and hence telecom infrastructure is treated as a crucial factor to realize the socio-economic objectives in India. Accordingly, the Department of Telecom has been formulating developmental policies for the accelerated growth of the telecommunication services. The Department is also responsible for grant of licenses for various telecom services like Unified Access Service Internet and VSAT service. The Department is also responsible for frequency management in the field of radio communication in close coordination with the international bodies. It also enforces wireless regulatory measures by monitoring wireless transmission of all users in the country.
The following units function under the DoT:
- DoT Units
- Telecom Enforcement Resource and Monitoring (TERM) Cells, formerly Vigilance Telecom Monitoring (VTM)
- Controller Of Communication Accounts (CCA) Units (Details of CCA Offices)
- Wireless Planning & Coordination Wing (WPC)
- Telecommunication Engineering Center (TEC)
- National Telecommunications Institute for Policy Research Innovation Training (NTIPRIT)
- National Institute of Communication Finance (NICF)
- Telephone Advisory Committees
- R&D Unit
- Center for Development of Telematics (C-DOT)
- Public Sector Units
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL)
- Indian Telephone Industries Limited (ITI)
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL)
- Telecommunications Consultants India Limited (TCIL)
- "PM Modi announces list of Cabinet ministers with portfolios - Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "Telcom Secy Rakesh Garg shunted out to Minority Affairs | The Indian Express". indianexpress.com. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "M F Farooqui takes charge as DoT secretary | Business Standard News". business-standard.com. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "Telephone Advisory Committees (TACs) | PHP Section | Circulars/Notifications | Department of Telecommunications". web.archive.org. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "Telephone Advisory Committees (TACs)". dot.gov.in. Retrieved 23 December 2015.
- "Raghuram Rajan went ahead with TAC view on interest rate". moneycontrol.com. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "BSNL holds second TAC meeting". tribuneindia.com. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- "BSNL to provide 3G connectivity to Lasalgaon, Satana". Times of India. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "Circular" (PDF). dot.gov.in.
- "Core function of TAC remains unchanged". thehindu.com. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- "Telephone Advisory Committee meeting of BSNL organised". dailypost.in. Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- "Telephone Advisory Committee meeting presided over by Dr Ashok Tanwar Member of Parliament". firstpost.com. Retrieved 25 September 2015.