Department of Veterans' Affairs (Australia)
|Formed||5 October 1976|
|Employees||2,055 (at April 2013)|
The Department of Veterans' Affairs is a department of the Government of Australia, established in 1976, and charged with the responsibility of delivering government programs for war veterans, members of the Australian Defence Force, members of the Australian Federal Police, and their dependants. The Repatriation Commission's Day-to-Day manager is the Department of Veterans' Affairs.
The head of the department is the Secretary of the Department of Veterans' Affairs, currently Simon Lewis PSM, who is responsible to the Minister for Veterans' Affairs, the Minister for Defence Personnel, and the Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for the Centenary of ANZAC, currently the Hon. Darren Chester MP. The Secretary of the Department also has the responsibility of the Repatriation Commission.
The functions of the department are broadly classified into the following matters:
- Repatriation income support, compensation and health program for veterans, members of the Defence Force, certain mariners and their dependants
- Commemorations, including promotion of understanding of Anzac Day, Remembrance Day and Vietnam Veterans' Day
- War graves
- Defence Service Homes
- Australian War Memorial
- Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Commission
- Office of Australian War Graves
- Repatriation Commission
- Repatriation Medical Authority
- Specialist Medical Review Council
- Veterans’ Children Education Boards
- Veterans' Review Board
- Defence Service Homes Act, 1918 (Cth)
- Military Rehabilitation and compensation Act, 2004 (Cth)
- Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act, 1988 (Cth)
- Veterans Entitlements Act, 1986 (Cth)
- War Graves Act, 1980 (Cth)
The Secretary of the Department of Veterans' Affairs is Simon Lewis, since July 2013. In addition to his role of departmental secretary, he is also the President of the Repatriation Commission and Chair of the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Commission.
Below is a full list of the Department's Secretaries since it was established.
|Order||Official||Official title||Date appointment
|Term in office||Notes|
|1||Sir Richard Kingsland||Secretary of the Department of Veterans' Affairs||5 October 1976||1981||4–5 years||served as Secretary to the Repatriation Department since 1970|
|2||Derek Volker||1981||14 November 1986||4–5 years|
|3||Noel Tanzer||18 December 1986||1 March 1989||2 years, 73 days|
|4||Lionel Woodward||1 March 1989||26 April 1994||5 years, 56 days|
|5||Allan Hawke||1994||1996||1–2 years|
|6||Neil Johnston||11 March 1996||30 September 2004||8 years, 203 days|
|7||Mark Sullivan||26 October 2004||2008||3–4 years|
|8||Ian Campbell||22 September 2008||5 July 2013||4 years, 286 days|
|9||Simon Lewis||July 2013||incumbent||5 years, 293 days||acting between May and July 2013|
Other key officeholders
Other key officeholders in the department are the Deputy President of the Repatriation Commission, currently Major General Craig Orme; and the Repatriation Commissioner, currently Major General Mark Kelly.
- Australian Public Service Commission (2 December 2013), State of the Service Report: State of the Service Series 2012–13 (PDF), Australian Public Service Commission, p. 254, archived from the original (PDF) on 6 December 2013
- CA 2107: Department of Veterans' Affairs, Central Office, National Archives of Australia, retrieved 23 September 2013
- Australian Government. "Budget Paper No. 1". 2013–14 Commonwealth Budget. Statement 6: Expenses and Net Capital Investment: Commonwealth of Australia. Archived from the original on 24 September 2013.
- "The Secretary: Simon Lewis PSM". Department of Veterans' Affairs. Commonwealth of Australia. 11 July 2013. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Administrative Arrangements Order" (PDF). Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Commonwealth of Australia. 18 September 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on 22 September 2013. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- CA 616: Australian War Memorial, National Archives of Australia, retrieved 23 September 2013
- CA 4456: Office of Australian War Graves, National Archives of Australia, retrieved 23 September 2013
- CA 225: Repatriation Commission [II], National Archives of Australia, retrieved 23 September 2013
- "Legislation". Department of Veterans' Affairs. Commonwealth of Australia. 13 July 2009. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- Gillard, Julia (5 April 2013). "Proposed Appointment of Departmental Secretary" (Press release). Archived from the original on 11 December 2013.
- "Our structure". Department of Veterans' Affairs. Commonwealth of Australia. 5 August 2013. Retrieved 31 October 2013.