Department of the Army Civilian Awards
There are three categories of recognition: monetary, honorary, and time-off.
Superior Accomplishment Awards
- Special Act or Service Award- A SASA is a cash award given to recognize a meritorious personal effort, act, service, scientific or other achievement accomplished within or outside assigned job responsibilities. All appropriated fund employees are eligible for this award. Cash awards range from $25 to $25,000, depending on the achievement being recognized. (An additional award exceeding $25,000 may be approved at the discretion of the President.)
- On-the-Spot Cash Award- The OTS cash award is a small SASA ($25 to $250) which may be given by a supervisor for day to day accomplishments of subordinate employees.
- Time Off Award- Employees may be granted up to 80 hours of time off during a leave year without charge to leave or loss of pay as an award for achievements or performance contributing to the Army mission.
- Performance Award- A performance award is a monetary award given in recognition of high-level performance for a specific period. This award is used to recognize all appropriated fund employees, except Senior Executive Service (SES) employees. Performance awards will be computed as a percentage of pay with a maximum award of 10 percent of the employee’s base pay.
(These awards are listed in hierarchical order from the highest to the lowest):
- Secretary of Defense Medal for the Defense of Freedom
- Secretary of the Army Award for Valor
- Decoration for Exceptional Civilian Service
- Meritorious Civilian Service Award
- Superior Civilian Service Award
- Commander's Award for Civilian Service
- Achievement Medal for Civilian Service
- Certificate of Appreciation for Patriotic Civilian Service
- Civilian Award for Humanitarian Service
- Certificate of Achievement
- Armed Forces Civilian Service Medal
Public Service Awards
These decoration are made to private citizens. Army civilian employees (who are eligible for Army honorary awards in accordance with Chapter 9-1.2 of Army Regulation 672-20), military personnel and Army contractors are ineligible. These awards are in hierarchical order from the highest to the lowest.
- Decoration for Distinguished Civilian Service
- Secretary of the Army Public Service Award
- Outstanding Civilian Service Award
- Public Service Commendation Medal
- Certificate of Appreciation