|Type of business||Limited|
|Available in||English, Italian|
|No. of locations||London, Milan, Los Angeles, New York City|
|Alexa rank||9,892 (March 2019)[update]|
Depop is a peer-to-peer social shopping app based in London, with additional offices in Milan and New York City.
Depop was founded in 2011 by entrepreneur Simon Beckerman at H-Farm, an Italian technological incubator and business start-up centre. Its headquarters moved to London in 2012. It expanded and opened additional offices in Milan and New York City. Beckerman raised €1 million in funding in October 2013 from Red Circle Investment. In 2015, Depop secured another investment of $8 million from Balderton Capital and Holtzbrinch Ventures. Most active users of Depop are located in the United Kingdom, United States and Italy. In March 2016, former CEO, Runar Reistrup, stated that Depop's growth was achieved through word of mouth.
In June 2019 Depop raised $62 million in Series C from General Atlantic. Previous investors HV Holtzbrinck Ventures, Balderton Capital, Creandum, Octopus Ventures, TempoCap and Sebastian Siemiatkowski also participated.
Depop provides a mobile marketplace that enables individuals to buy and sell their items on iOS and Android platforms. It was announced in May 2016 that Depop was the official app sponsor of the 2016 Vans Warped Tour. The application has attracted celebrities to open stores, with some donating proceeds to charitable causes.
- "Depop.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved March 28, 2019.
- Morrison, Emma. "Artefact – In conversation with | Depop founder Simon Beckerman". Artefact. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- Azeez, Wale (27 October 2015). "Depop: We're all shopkeepers now". Politico Europe. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- Lunden, Ingrid (29 January 2015). "Social Shopping App Depop Raises $8M, Hires Ex-Reddit GM To Break Into US Market". TechCrunch. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- Reistrup, Runar (31 March 2016). "The Entrepreneur: Runar Reistrup, Depop". Startups.co.uk. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "Depop, a social app targeting millennial and Gen Z shoppers, bags $62M, passes 13M users". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-06-07.
- Satenstein, Liana. "All Those Millennials Can't Be Wrong: Why Depop Just Might Change the Way You Shop". Vogue. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- "Vans Warped Tour". Vans Warped Tour. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- Jones, Georgina (13 July 2016). "9 celebrities with Depop shops to start frequenting immidiately [sic]". Bustle. Retrieved 17 July 2016.