(Redirected from Depute)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Deputy is one empowered to act for another. Depute is the historical form of "deputy" and is still used in the Scottish legal system.
Deputy or depute may refer to:
- Steward (office)
- Khalifa, an Arabic title that can signify "deputy"
- Deputy (legislator), a legislator in many countries and regions, including:
- A member of a Chamber of Deputies, for example in Italy, Spain, Argentina, or Brazil.
- A member of a National Assembly, as in Costa Rica, France, Pakistan, Poland or Quebec.
- A member of the Dáil Éireann (Lower House of the parliament of the Republic of Ireland)
- A member of the States of Guernsey or the States of Jersey elected by a parish or district
- Deputy (Acadian), a position in 18th-century Nova Scotia, Canada
- Deputy Führer, a title for the deputy head of the Nazi Party
- A subordinate
- Deputy premier, a subordinate of the Premier and next-in-command in the cabinet of the Soviet Union and its successor countries, including:
- Deputy Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- Deputy sheriff, deputized by a sheriff to perform the same duties as the sheriff
- Deputy Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
- White House Deputy Chief of Staff
- Deputy marriage commissioner
- Deputy governor
- Deputy mayor
- Deputy overman (pit deputy) in a mine
- Deputy Speaker, in a legislative assembly
Film, theatre and television
- Deputy (TV series), American police drama starring Stephen Dorff
- The Deputy, US title of The Representative, a play by Rolf Hochhuth
- The Deputy (TV series), American western television series with Henry Fonda
- The Deputy (film), 2004 BBC political comedy with Jack Dee