Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Look up deputy in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Deputy is one empowered to act for another. Depute is the historical form of "deputy" and is still used in the Scottish legal system
Deputy or depute may refer to:
- Steward (office)
- Khalifa, an Arabic title that can signify "deputy"
- Deputy (legislator), a legislator in many countries, including:
- A member of a Chamber of Deputies, for example in Italy, Spain or Brazil.
- A member of a National Assembly, as in France, Poland, Pakistan or Quebec.
- A member of the Dáil Éireann (Lower House of the parliament of the Republic of Ireland)
- A member of the States of Guernsey or the States of Jersey elected by a parish or district
- Deputy (Acadian), a position in 18th-century Nova Scotia, Canada
- Deputy Führer, a title for the deputy head of the Nazi Party
- A subordinate
- Deputy premier, a subordinate of the Premier and next-in-command in the cabinet of the Soviet Union and its successor countries, including:
- Deputy Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- Deputy sheriff, deputized by a sheriff to perform the same duties as the sheriff
- Deputy Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
- White House Deputy Chief of Staff
- Deputy marriage commissioner
- Deputy overman (pit deputy) in a mine
Film, theatre and television
- The Deputy, US title of The Representative, a play by Rolf Hochhuth
- The Deputy (TV series), western with Henry Fonda
- The Deputy (film), 2004 BBC political comedy with Jack Dee
- Deputy (TV series), a police drama that premiered in 2020
| disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Deputy.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.