Deputy Commander Field Army (United Kingdom)
The Deputy Commander Field Army is a senior British Army officer who serves as deputy to the Commander Field Army. It currently is held by a Army Reserve officer.
The UK Field Army was first established in 1982 when the Deputy Commander-in-Chief at UK Land Forces was designated Commander of that formation. In 1995 the designation changed to Deputy Commander-in-Chief, Land Command. The Field Army was re-established in 2003, under the LANDmark reorganisation. The Commander of the Field Army had two deployable Divisions (1st Armoured Division and 3rd Mechanised Division), HQ 6th Division, Theatre Troops, Joint Helicopter Command, and Training Support under him. The post of Commander Field Army ceased to exist from 1 November 2011 following a major army command reorganisation. The post of Deputy Commander Land Forces was recreated again in January 2012.
Recent Deputy Commanders
Recent Commanders have been:
Deputy Commander-in-Chief UK Land Forces
- 1972-1973 Lieutenant-General Sir Frank King
- 1973-1976 Lieutenant-General Sir Allan Taylor
- 1976-1977 Lieutenant-General Sir Hugh Beach
- 1977-1980 Lieutenant-General Sir Peter Hudson
- 1980-1982 Lieutenant-General Sir Frank Kitson
Commander UK Field Army
- 1982-1984 Lieutenant-General Sir Edward Burgess
- 1984-1987 Lieutenant-General Sir John Akehurst
- 1987-1990 Lieutenant-General Sir David Ramsbotham
- 1990-1993 Lieutenant-General Sir Michael Wilkes
- 1993-1994 Lieutenant-General Sir Michael Rose
- 1994-1995 Lieutenant-General Sir Richard Swinburn
Deputy Commander-in-Chief Land Command
Commander Field Army
- 2001-2003 Lieutenant-General Sir Cedric Delves
- 2003-2005 Lieutenant-General Sir Redmond Watt
- 2005-2007 Lieutenant-General Robin Brims
- 2007-2009 Lieutenant-General Sir Graeme Lamb
- 2009-2011 Lieutenant-General Sir Barney White-Spunner
Deputy Commander Land Forces
- 2011-2012 Lieutenant-General Nick Carter
- 2012- Vacant (but see below)
Recent Deputy Commanders (Reserves)
In 2011 a two-star appointment was created for the officer commanding the Territorial Army; this officer has inherited the above designation. Recent Commanders for the Territorial Army/Army Reserves have been:
Deputy Commander Land Forces (Reserves)
Deputy Commander Land Forces
Deputy Commander Field Army
- Lt Col Richard Quinlan, R Signals, HQ Theatre Troops, in News From Formations, The Wire, April 2003, p.127
- Army Command reorganization Defence Marketing Intelligence, 10 November 2011 Archived November 12, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Army Commands Archived July 5, 2015, at the Wayback Machine.
- First ever two star post created Ministry of Defence[dead link]
- Defence Medical Welfare Service: Patrons
- "No. 61398". The London Gazette (Supplement). 2 November 2015. p. 21527.
- "No. 62166". The London Gazette (Supplement). 9 January 2018. p. 298.