Deputy Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis
The Deputy Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis, commonly referred to simply as the Deputy Commissioner, is the second-in-command of London's Metropolitan Police Service. The rank is senior to Assistant Commissioner, but junior by one rank to Commissioner. The Deputy Commissioner's salary from 1 September 2010 is £214,722, making him the second highest paid British police officer.
The rank of Deputy Commissioner was formally established as a separate rank, additional to the Assistant Commissioners, in 1931. However, the Assistant Commissioner "A" had acted as de facto deputy for some years and had been given the courtesy title of Deputy Commissioner since 1922. The Deputy Commissioner's Crown appointment continued to be Assistant Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis until at least the 1970s.
The badge of rank worn on the epaulettes by the Deputy Commissioner is unique in the British police service, this being a crown, above two small pips placed side by side, above crossed tipstaves in a wreath. This badge was introduced in 2001; before that the Deputy Commissioner wore the same rank badge as the Assistant Commissioners - a crown over crossed tipstaves in a wreath.
Those listed in bold type became Commissioners
- Sir James Olive, 1922–1925
- Vice-Admiral Sir Charles Royds, 1926–1931
- Sir Trevor Bigham, 1931–1935
- Colonel Sir Maurice Drummond, 1935–1946
- Sir John Nott-Bower, 1946–1953
- Sir Ronald Howe, 1953–1957
- Joseph Simpson, 1957–1958
- Sir Alexander Robertson, 1958–1961
- Douglas Webb, 1961–1966
- Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Ranulph Bacon, 1966
- Sir John Waldron, 1966–1968
- Robert Mark, 1968–1972
- John Hill, 1972
- Sir Jim Starritt, 1972–1975
- Sir Colin Woods, 1975–1977
- Patrick Kavanagh, 1977–1983
- Albert Laugharne, 1983–1985
- Peter Imbert, 1985–1987
- Sir John Dellow, 1987–1991
- Sir John Smith, 1991–1995
- Sir Brian Hayes, 1995–1998
- Sir John Stevens, 1998–2000
- Sir Ian Blair, 2000–2005
- Sir Paul Stephenson, 2005–2009
- Tim Godwin, 2009–2011
- Craig Mackey, 2012–
- Police Pay. Police-information.co.uk. Retrieved on 2013-08-22.
- The London Gazette: . 25 April 1972.
- Met Deputy Commissioner Tim Godwin retires
- Deputy Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis; job vacancy - Metropolitan Police Authority
- "Craig Mackey named Met Police Deputy Commissioner", BBC News, 21 December 2011
- Cressida Dick is currently Acting Deputy Commissioner.