Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives of the Philippines
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The Deputy Speakers of the House of Representatives of the Philippines are the second highest-ranking officials of the Philippine House of Representatives. During the absence of the House Speaker, one of the House Deputy Speakers will preside over the House of Representatives.
The current Deputy Speakers of the House of Representatives are the following:
- Eric Singson (PDP-Laban) of the Second District of Ilocos Sur
- Mercedes Alvarez (NPC) of the Sixth District of Negros Occidental
- Fredenil Castro (NUP) of the Second District of Capiz
- Raneo Abu (NP) of the Second District of Batangas
- Miro Quimbo (Liberal) of the Second District of Marikina
- Linabelle Villarica (Liberal) of 4th District of Bulacan
- Gwendolyn Garcia (PDP-Laban) of the Third District of Cebu
- Pia Cayetano (Nacionalista) of the Lone District of Taguig
- Sharon Garin of the AAMBIS-OWA Partylist
- Mylene Garcia-Albano (PDP-Laban) of the Second District of Davao City
- Bai Sandra A. Sema (Liberal) of 1st District of Maguindanao
- Ferdinand L. Hernandez (NPC) of 2nd District of South Cotabato
- Frederick Abueg (Liberal) of 2nd District of Palawan
- Rolando Andaya Jr. (PDP-Laban) of 1st District of Camarines Sur
Duties and powers
The duties and powers of the House Deputy Speakers, as contained in the House Rules, are the following:
- to assume the duties and powers of the Speaker when so chosen by a majority vote or by lot among themselves, as the case may be, when the Speaker is absent or temporarily incapacitated, until such time that the Speaker returns to the performance of his/her duties; and, in case of resignation, removal, permanent incapacity or death of the Speaker, until such time that a new Speaker is elected and qualified;
- to preside over the session when, even if present, the Speaker does not preside, or has not designated any other member as temporary presiding officer as provided in Section 14(h) of Rule IV;
- to monitor, coordinate and facilitate action on measures filed, requests, and other concerns of members representing constituencies in any of the island groups namely Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao, to which they may be assigned by the Speaker;
- to recommend to the Speaker appropriate policies, strategies and programs of action to improve the pace and quality of legislation and to effectively address issues and concerns of members on matters affecting them, their constituencies, and the overall operations and integrity of the House;
- to appoint personnel of the House when so authorized by the Speaker; and
- to perform such other duties and functions as may be assigned and/or delegated by the Speaker.
Note: Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives of the Philippines was previously called Speaker Pro-Tempore of the House of Representatives of the Philippines. The title was used until 1995.
- Majority Floor Leader of the House of Representatives of the Philippines
- Minority Floor Leader of the House of Representatives of the Philippines
- Mara Cepeda (4 August 2016). "House to appoint more deputy speakers to prepare for federalism". Rappler. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "HOUSE LEADERS INFORMATION - DEPUTY SPEAKERS". House of Representatives of the Philippines. Retrieved 26 September 2016.