Deqing County, Zhejiang
Mount Mogan, near the eponymous town in the western part of Deqing County
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (China Standard)|
Located in the middle of the plain between the Hangzhou Bay and the Taihu, most of Deqing County is flat, criss-crossed by numerous canals. The western end of the county is mountainous. There, the popular tourist areas of Moganshan is located. Moganshan is a scenic mountain, an hour from Hangzhou, with many pre-World War II villas built by foreigners, along with one of Chiang Kai-shek's Guomindang compounds.
Zisiqiao (子思桥) Village, located within Deqing County's Xinshi Town, is renowned as a center of snake farming. The locals have been raising snakes since the 1980s; currently, about 800 people in Zisiqiao work in snake farming industry, raising some three million snakes a year. Live snakes are supplied to specialty restaurants; dried or preserved in alcohol, they are sold to manufacturers of traditional Chinese medicines; snake-infused wine is made as well. The village is nicknamed "Snake Village" by the media, and Deqing Snake Culture Museum is a local tourist attraction.
- Wukang (武康镇), Qianyuan (乾元镇), Xinshi (新市镇), Luoshe (洛舍镇), Xin'an (新安镇), Leidian (雷甸镇), Zhongguan (钟管镇), Yuyue (禹越镇), Moganshan (莫干山镇)
Deqing has two railway stations, normal trains serve through Deqing West railway station, which located on the Xuancheng–Hangzhou railway, with fairly frequent, although not particularly fast, passenger service to Hangzhou and Hefei. High speed trains serve Deqing railway station, on the Nanjing-Hangzhou high-speed railway.
- China's 'Snake Village' seeks New Year riches, AFP, 2013-02-10
- 世界第一蛇村：800人与300万条蛇的神奇生活 [World's No. 1 Snake Village: mysterious life of 800 people and over 3 million snakes]. Sina Travel. 2010-10-21.
- 蛇文化博物馆可以让你看得“头皮发麻 [Snake Culture Museum will make your hair stand on end]. Retrieved 2012-05-07.
- "湖州市-行政区划网 www.xzqh.org" (in Chinese). XZQH. Retrieved 2012-05-24.
- Deqing West schedule (in Chinese)