Der Jasager (literally The Yes Sayer also translated as The Affirmer or He Said Yes) is an opera (specifically a Schuloper or "school-opera") by Kurt Weill to a German libretto by Bertolt Brecht (after Elisabeth Hauptmann's translation from Arthur Waley's English version of the Japanese Nō drama Taniko).
Its companion piece is Der Neinsager (He Said No) although Brecht's other text was never set by Weill.
It was first performed in Berlin by students of the Akademie für Kirchen und Schulmusik at the Zentralinstitut für Erziehung und Unterricht on 23 June 1930 and broadcast simultaneously on the radio. It was successful and there were over 300 performances during the following three years.
Brecht subsequently revised the text twice, the final version, including Der Neinsager, being without music.
|Role||Voice type||Premiere cast,
23 June 1930
(Conductor: Kurt Drabeck)
|The teacher||baritone||Otto Hopf|
|First student||treble or tenor|
|Second student||treble or tenor|
|Third student||treble or baritone|
- Weill says: "In Lindbergh's Flight Bert Brecht and I had the schools in mind for the first time. I am hoping to develop this direction further in my latest play, the Lehrstück He Said Yes. [...] I no longer want to offer 'songs' so much as self-contained musical forms. In the process I want to take over whatever I hitherto found right, like what I once termed the gestic approach to music. The melody must give clear expression to the gest. It is clarity, not lack of clarity that has to prevail in all that the composer wishes to express. And [...] this Lehrstück has to be a fully authentic work of art, not a secondary piece." (Weill 1930, p. 334)
- Amadeus Almanac, accessed 31 October 2008
- Hinton, Stephen. 1992. "Jasager, Der". In The New Grove Dictionary of Opera. Ed. Stanley Sadie. London:. ISBN 0-333-73432-7.
- Squiers, Anthony. An Introduction to the Social and Political Philosophy of Bertolt Brecht: Revolution and Aesthetics. Amsterdam: Rodopi. 2014. ISBN 9789042038998.
- Weill, Kurt. 1930. Interview. In Collected Plays: Three by Bertolt Brecht. Ed. and trans. John Willett. Brecht Collected Plays Ser. London: Methuen, 1997. ISBN 978-0-413-70460-3. pp. 334–335
- Media related to Der Jasager at Wikimedia Commons