Derek Blasberg in December 2012
Derek Charles Blasberg|
April 22, 1982
St. Louis, Missouri U.S.
Derek Charles Blasberg (born April 22, 1982) is an American journalist and author who works extensively in the fashion industry. Since 2016, he has been the host of CNN International's CNN Style. He also hosted Vanity Fair magazine's web series called Our Man on the Street. He has written three books.
Early life and education
In 2000, Blasberg graduated from Affton High School, where he was salutatorian of his class. In 2004, he graduated from New York University with honors with a dual bachelor's degrees in dramatic literature and journalism.
From 2009 to 2012, he wrote a column called "Fast + Louche" for Interview magazine.
He was the founding U.S. Editor of the London-based arts publication Garage Magazine where he wrote a column called "Emails from the Edge."
Blasberg co-wrote several of the New York City editions of the Louis Vuitton Travel Guides.
In April 2010, Blasberg's debut book, Classy: Exceptional Advice for the Extremely Modern Lady, was published. It was a collection of humorous essays about etiquette and was on The New York Times best sellers list for several weeks.
In October 2011, Blasberg published a follow-up to Classy called Very Classy: Even More Exceptional Advice for the Extremely Modern Lady, which was an expanded and updated version of the original.
Starting in 2015, Blasberg hosted several Vanity Fair magazine web series, including "Conversations In The Backseat," where he has interviewed Reese Witherspoon, Gigi Hadid, Naomi Campbell, Maria Sharapova, and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley.
Since April 2016, Blasberg has been the host of the CNN International show, CNN Style. CNN Style focuses on covering fashion internationally, but also includes art, architecture, and design. CNN Style was created 15 years after the long-running Style with Elsa Klensch, which went off the air in 2001 and was the last time CNN had consistent reporting on fashion.
As a fashion editor, Blasberg has collaborated with Karl Lagerfeld, David Bailey, Terry Richardson and Marilyn Minter. Blasberg has worked as a consultant on creative projects for fashion brands that included Chanel, MAC Cosmetics, Opening Ceremony, where he had a stationery line the "Handwritten Letter Helper," and Tiffany’s.
- 2010-2012: America's Next Top Model (TV Series) – 2 episodes: "Patrick Demarchelier" and "Georgina Chapman"
- 2012: 24 Hour Catwalk (TV Series) – Judge
- 2012: Fashion Fetish (Short Film) – Concept, Script, Actor
- 2012: Sh*t Fashion Girls Say (Short Film)
- 2014: The Approval Matrix (TV Series) – Panelist
- 2015: Fashionably Late with Rachel Zoe (TV Series)
- 2015: Love Advent (TV Series short)
- 2015-2016: Vanity Fair magazine's "Conversations in the Backseat" – 2 seasons (11 episodes)
- 2016-present: CNN Style with Derek Blasberg (TV Series)
- 2017: Odd Mom Out (TV Series) – 1 episode: "M.F.A. in B.S."
- 2018: Ocean's 8
Works and publications
- Olsen, Mary-Kate; Olsen, Ashley (2008). Blasberg, Derek, ed. Influence. New York: Razorbill. ISBN 978-1-595-14210-8. OCLC 185026578.
- Blasberg, Derek; Corral Design, Rodrigo (design by) (2010). Classy: Be a Lady Not a Tramp. New York: Razorbill. ISBN 978-1-595-14279-5. OCLC 428024029.
- Blasberg, Derek; Corral Design, Rodrigo (design by) (2011). Very Classy: Be a Lady Not a Tramp. New York, NY: Razorbill. ISBN 978-1-101-56295-6. OCLC 773693658.
- Blasberg, Derek; Lagerfeld, Karl (foreward by); Bailey, Glenda (introduction by) (2015). Harper’s Bazaar: Models. New York, NY: Abrams. ISBN 978-1-419-71786-4. OCLC 921844617.
- TO COME
- McLean, Gareth (4 September 2016). "Mr Likes: how Derek Blasberg became the Gatsby of the Instagram age". The Guardian.
- Swerdloff, Alexis (10 August 2016). "Derek Blasberg Is the Truman Capote of Instagram". New York.
- "Meet CNN Style TV's host: Derek Blasberg". CNN Style. CNN. 5 April 2016.
- Hogan, Mike (31 August 2015). "Announcement: Derek Blasberg Joins Vanity Fair as Our Man on the Street". Vanity Fair.
- Wilson, Eric (14 April 2010). "A Talent to Amuse". The New York Times.
- Bass, Debra D. (20 October 2014). "21 Questions with Derek Blasberg". St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
- "2018 Affton Hall of Fame Inductees". Gotsch Intermediate. Affton School District. 27 February 2018.
- Aboutaleb, Britt (12 May 2010). "Life With Derek Blasberg!". Fashionista.
- Manoff, Jill (22 February 2012). "Top of the Classy". Alive.
- Blasberg, Derek (6 April 2010). "How Do I Break Into the Fashion Business?". Teen Vogue.
- Tell, Caroline (22 September 2015). "Forget the Party Boy: Derek Blasberg Has a New Business Model". New York Observer.
- Blasberg, Derek (8 December 2015). "In Conversation: Dasha Zhukova". Gagosian Quarterly. Gagosian Gallery.
- Fernandez, Chantal (31 August 2015). "Derek Blasberg Leaves 'Harper's Bazaar' for 'Vanity Fair'". Fashionista.
- "24 Hour Classy People". Interview. 14 January 2011.
- Blasberg, Derek (8 September 2015). "Your First Look At The New "Harper's Bazaar: Models" Book". Harper's Bazaar.
- Hogan, Kate (1 December 2011). "Exclusive Sneak Peek: Alexa Chung Brings the Drama on '24 Hour Catwalk'". People.
- "Conversations in the Backseat". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 29 March 2018.
- Blasberg, Derek; Fremar, Leslie (29 February 2016). "See how the stars get red carpet-ready for the Oscars" (TV interview). Today Show.
- Ivory-Harte, Joel (31 March 2016). "CNN Style Launches on TV Show With Sheikha Al Mayassa, Tracey Emin, Rita Ora and Lewis Hamilton" (Press release). CNN.
- Bobila, Maria (31 March 2016). "Derek Blasberg Gets His Own TV Show With 'CNN Style'". Fashionista.
- Phelan, Hayley (13 December 2012). "Derek Blasberg On His New Opening Ceremony Stationery Line and the 'Dos and Don'ts' of Letter Writing". Fashionista.
- Rosman, Katherine (19 December 2015). "The Fabulous (Instagram) Life of Derek Blasberg". The New York Times.
- Zhukova, Dasha (28 June 2012). "Dasha Zhukova – Fashion Fetish" (Short film). SHOWstudio.
- "Sh*t Fashion Girls Say" (Short film). The Platform. 15 February 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Derek Blasberg.|