Derek Edwards (rugby league)
|Full name||Derek Edwards|
|Source: rugbyleagueproject.org englandrl.co.uk|
Derek Edwards is an English professional rugby league footballer of the 1960s and '70s, playing at representative level for Great Britain, and Yorkshire, and at club level for Castleford, and Keighley, as a Fullback, i.e. number 1.
Derek Edwards was selected for the Great Britain Squad while at Castleford for the 1968 Rugby League World Cup in Australia and New Zealand. However, along with Christopher "Chris" Young of Hull Kingston Rovers, he did not participate in any of the three matches.
Derek Edwards won caps for Yorkshire while at Castleford as a substitute in the 12-14 defeat by Lancashire at Salford's stadium on 3 September 1969, as a substitute in the 42-3 victory over Cumberland at Hull Kingston Rovers's stadium on 1 October 1969, playing Fullback in the 15-21 defeat by Cumberland at Whitehaven's stadium on 14 September 1970, playing Fullback in the 22-42 defeat by Lancashire at Leigh's stadium on 29 September 1971, and playing Fullback in the 17-12 victory over Cumberland at Wakefield Trinity's stadium on 20 October 1971.
Challenge Cup final appearances
Derek Edwards played Fullback in Castleford’s 11-6 victory over Salford in the 1969 Challenge Cup final during the 1968–69season at Wembley Stadium on Saturday 17 May 1969., and the 7-2 victory over Wigan in the 1970 Challenge Cup final during the 1969–70 season at Wembley Stadium on Saturday 9 May 1970.
County Cup Final appearances
Derek Edwards played Fullback in Castleford's 11-22 defeat by Leeds in the 1968 Yorkshire Cup final during the 1968–69 season at Belle Vue, Wakefield on Saturday 19 October 1968, and played Fullback in the 7-11 defeat by Hull Kingston Rovers in the 1971 Yorkshire Cup final during the 1971–72 season at Belle Vue, Wakefield on Saturday 21 August 1971.
BBC2 Floodlit Trophy final appearances
Derek Edwards played Fullback in Castleford's 4-0 victory over St. Helens in the 1965 BBC2 Floodlit Trophy final during the 1965–66 season at Knowsley Road, St. Helens on Tuesday 14 December 1965, played Fullback in the 7-2 victory over Swinton in the 1966 BBC2 Floodlit Trophy final during the 1966–67 season at Wheldon Road, Castleford on Tuesday 20 December 1966, and played Fullback in the 8-5 victory over Leigh in the 1967 BBC2 Floodlit Trophy final during the 1967–68 season at Headingley Stadium, Leeds on Saturday 16 January 1968.
- "Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org". rugbyleagueproject.org. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Statistics at thecastlefordtigers.co.uk". thecastlefordtigers.co.uk ℅ web.archive.org. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Sat 17th May 1969 - Challenge Cup - Neutral Ground - 97,939". thecastlefordtigers. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Sat 9th May 1970 - Challenge Cup - Neutral Ground - 95,255". thecastlefordtigers. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- Great Britain Statistics at englandrl.co.uk
- Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org
- Profile at thecastlefordtigers.co.uk