||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Member of the Northern Ireland Assembly
for West Tyrone
25 June 1998 – 7 March 2007
|Preceded by||New Creation|
|Succeeded by||Allan Bresland|
12 September 1948 |
|Political party||Ulster Unionist Party|
|Children||Robert, Craig and Rachel|
|Alma mater||Omagh Academy|
In 1989 he was elected to Strabane District Council. In 2007 he was elected Chairman of the council. In the 1996 election to the Northern Ireland Peace Forum, Hussey was elected as representative for West Tyrone.
In 1998 he was elected as MLA to the Northern Ireland Assembly and re-elected in 2003. He was an outgoing candidate in the 2007 Assembly elections, but lost his seat. His brother, Ross Hussey, re-took the seat in 2011.
He also has a special interest in regional development, Ulster-Scots and the Orange Order. Hussey continued his role in local politics and was re-elected as the only UUP Councillor on Strabane District Council on 5 May 2011.
Derek Hussey has been convicted of driving with excess alcohol on three occasions, most recently in March 2016.
This follows previous convictions in 2004, when Mr Hussey was a Member of the Legislative Assembly for West Tyrone and 2011, when he was a councillor for the Derg DEA on Strabane District Council.
Following the most recent conviction in March 2016, Alderman Hussey was suspended by the Ulster Unionist Party On completion of community service the suspension was lifted and he still sits as an Ulster Unionist member of Derry City and Strabane District Council.
The Hussey family have a strong connection with the security forces with Hussey himself serving as a part-time Special Constable with the Ulster Special Constabulary (USC), his late father Sydney Robert Hussey had served in the Royal Navy during World War II and the USC and Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR) until his death. His mother served in the Women's Royal Naval Service and the UDR, his brother Harold William was a sergeant in the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC), his sister was in the UDR and Royal Irish Regiment and his politician brother Ross also served as a part-time member of the RUC.
- "Welcome to Strabane District Council Online - Councillors". Strabanedc.com. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- "VOTE 2003". BBC News. 2003-11-28. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20070928094422/http://www.stratagem-ni.com/westtyronemlas.php. Archived from the original on September 28, 2007. Retrieved January 27, 2007. Missing or empty
- "Drink drive ex-MLA Derek Hussey banned from driving" BBC News
- "Drink drive shame of top MLA Ulster Unionist crashed car into a field - Belfast Telegraph | HighBeam Research". www.highbeam.com. Retrieved 2016-04-06.
- "Drink drive ex-MLA Derek Hussey banned from driving". BBC News. Retrieved 2016-04-06.
- "UUP suspends former MLA Derek Hussey for drink-driving". www.newsletter.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-04-06.
|Northern Ireland Forum|
|Member for West Tyrone
1996 - 1998
|Northern Ireland Assembly|
|MLA for Tyrone, West
1998 - 2007