|Under Secretary of Transportation for Policy|
Assumed office |
December 4, 2017
|Preceded by||Blair Anderson|
|Member of the Amtrak Board of Directors|
Assumed office |
|Born||Derek Tai-Ching Kan|
University of Southern California|
Stanford Graduate School of Business
London School of Economics
Derek Tai-Ching Kan (Chinese: 甘達慶) is an American business executive and government official who currently serves as the Under Secretary of Transportation for Policy. Prior to assuming his current role, he was the general manager of Lyft, a transportation network company. In 2015, he was nominated by President Barack Obama to be a board member of Amtrak, a position for which he was unanimously confirmed by the U.S. Senate. In April 2017, Kan was nominated by President Donald Trump become Under Secretary of Transportation for Policy in the United States Department of Transportation. He was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on November 13, 2017.
Kan previously worked as director of strategy at Genapsys, a biotech startup in Silicon Valley, as a management consultant at Bain & Company, as an advisor at Elliott Management Corporation, as a policy adviser to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, and as chief economist for the Senate Republican Policy Committee. He was a Presidential Management Fellow at the Office of Management and Budget.
- Primack, Dan (January 21, 2016). "Amtrak's Newest Board Member Works at Lyft". Fortune. Retrieved May 18, 2017.
- della Cava, Marco (April 6, 2017). "Trump nominates Lyft exec to join Transportation Department". USA Today. Retrieved May 18, 2017.
- Dickey, Megan Rose (April 6, 2017). "Trump plans to nominate Lyft's Derek Kan to transportation department". TechCrunch. Retrieved May 18, 2017.
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Intent to Nominate Derek Kan to the Department of Transportation". The White House. April 6, 2017. Retrieved May 18, 2017.
- Zanona, Melanie (April 7, 2017). "Trump taps Lyft manager for No. 3 spot at Transportation Department". The Hill. Retrieved May 18, 2017.