Derek Lowe (chemist)
Dr. Derek Lowe is a chemistry blogger and medicinal chemist working on preclinical drug discovery, currently as a Research Fellow at Vertex Pharmaceuticals. Lowe (born in Harrisburg, Arkansas) got his BA from Hendrix College and his PhD in organic chemistry from Duke University, doing his doctoral research studying the organic synthesis of natural products, before spending time in Germany on a Humboldt Fellowship on his post-doc.
Lowe was the first person to blog from inside the drug industry, and one of the first science bloggers. He maintains an online presence, commenting on drug discovery and the pharmaceutical industry in his blog "In the Pipeline" (which has recently moved from the Corante platform to a site maintained by the journal Science). "In the Pipeline" attracts a wide readership, getting approximately 15,000 to 20,000 page views on a typical weekday. He also regularly writes columns about organic and medicinal chemistry, detailing the trends and challenges of drug development, in the Royal Society of Chemistry periodical Chemistry World. He serves on the editorial board of ACS Medicinal Chemistry Letters and on the advisory board of Chemical & Engineering News.
- Lowe, Derek (April 2007). "Opinion: In the pipeline". Royal Society of Chemistry. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- Secko, David (August 2005). "The Power of the Blog". The Scientist. Archived from the original on 2011-05-11.
- "The oldest science blog of all? | Gene Expression | Discover Magazine". Blogs.discovermagazine.com. 2010-08-24. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "In the Pipeline". Corante.com. Retrieved 2014-08-15.
- "In the pipeline". Rsc.org. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "C&EN In The Blogosphere | May 3, 2010 Issue - Vol. 88 Issue 18 | Chemical & Engineering News". Pubs.acs.org. 2010-05-03. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- Lowe's "In the Pipeline" blog (New location)
- Lowe's Chemistry World columns
- Moving Away From Target-Based Discovery
- Drug discovery for the masses
- "No Refills", article in The Atlantic Monthly
- "Molecular Modeling's $10 Million Comeback", article in Nature
- Interview at Nature's The Sceptical Chymist
|This biographical article about a chemist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|