Derek Nathanial Luke
April 24, 1974
Sophia Adella Luke
Derek Nathanial Luke (born April 24, 1974) is an American actor. He won the Independent Spirit Award for his big-screen debut performance in the 2002 film Antwone Fisher, directed and produced by Denzel Washington. Luke played Gabe Jones in Captain America: The First Avenger. He is best known for his role as Kevin Porter on the Netflix original series 13 Reasons Why.
Luke was born in Jersey City, New Jersey, the son of Marjorie Dixon, a pianist, and Maurice Luke, a former actor. His father is from Georgetown, Guyana. He attended Henry Snyder High School and graduated from Linden High School.
Luke played a small role as a nurse in the 1999 episode "White Collar" of the sitcom The King of Queens, and appeared on the NBC show Trauma. He played one of the group members of Mayhem in the Moesha episode "Mayhem at the Jam Esp" (March 19, 2001).
Luke played alongside American actor Laurence Fishburne as Kid in the 2003 film Biker Boyz. He plays Alicia Keys' love interest in her music video for "Teenage Love Affair". He played singer Monica's love interest in her music video for "So Gone". Luke played Sean 'Puffy' Combs in the 2009 film Notorious, and James 'Boobie' Miles in the 2004 film Friday Night Lights.
Luke was cast to play Bobby Joe in Glory Road.
From February to April 2013, Luke played the character of "Gregory" in the FX series The Americans. In 2015, he played Malcolm Devoe, head of security for Empire Entertainment on the TV series Empire and Cookie's secret love interest. In March, 2018, he was cast in the lead role of the NBC pilot "Suspicion."
Since 1998, Luke has been married to actress Sophia Adella Luke.
|1999–2000||The King of Queens||Delivery Man / Orderly||2 episodes|
|2001||Moesha||Ruckus||Episode: "Mayhem at the Jam"|
|2009–2010||Trauma||Cameron Boone||20 episodes|
|2011||Hawthorne||Dr. Miles Bourdet||8 episodes|
|CSI: Crime Scene Investigation||Paramedic||Episode: "CSI Down"|
|2013, 2018||The Americans||Gregory Thomas||4 episodes|
|2015||Empire||Malcolm DeVeaux||3 episodes|
|2015–2017||Rogue||Marlon Dinard||Series regular, 20 episodes|
|2016||Roots||Silla Ba Dibba||2 episodes|
|2017–2019||13 Reasons Why||Mr. Kevin Porter||Main cast (Seasons 1–2); Guest (Season 3); 27 episodes|
|2019||God Friended Me||Henry Chase||Episode; "Que Sera Sera"|
|2019||The Purge||Marcus Moore||Main; 10 episodes|
- "Today in History - April 24". Fox News. 2012-05-04.
- Kam Williams (2009-01-25). "Derek Luke: The Notorious Interview". KamWilliams.com. Retrieved 2009-06-30.
- "Tim Robbins and Derek Luke interview about Catch a Fire". PopEntertainment.com. 2006. Retrieved 2007-11-10.
- "Derek Luke Biography". Yahoo! Movies. Retrieved 2007-11-10.
- Staff. "Actor Derek Luke comes home to talk with Snyder High students", The Jersey Journal, December 22, 2008. Accessed July 23, 2019. "Jersey City born-and-raised actor Derek Luke is at Snyder High School, where he attended, this morning to talk to students, a school official said this morning. The star of Biker Boyz, Antoine Fisher and Glory Road, is expected to talk about his life experiences and rough times growing up in Jersey City. Luke attended Snyder, but graduated from Linden High."
- Collis, Clark. "Fall Movie Summer Preview, September: Miracle at St. Anna". Entertainment Weekly, Iss. #1007/1008, August 22/29, 2008, pg. 42-45.
- Otterson, Joe (2018-03-02). "'13 Reasons Why' Star Derek Luke Set for Lead Role in NBC Drama Pilot 'Suspicion'". Variety. Retrieved 2018-05-13.
- "Sophia Adella Luke - IMDB". IMDB.com. 2015. Retrieved 2015-07-08.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (May 4, 2021). "Katie Holmes Wraps Second Film As Director, Connecticut-Set Romance". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 4, 2021.
- "God Friended Me Casts Derek Luke as Mysterious Hacker Henry Chase". TVLine. March 29, 2019.