This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mears at the Texas Frightmare Weekend in Lewisville, Texas, April 29, 2010
April 29, 1972 |
Bakersfield, California, U.S.
|Known for||Jason Voorhees (remake)|
Life and career
Mears has numerous credits both as a stuntman and as an actor. He had minor roles in The Tick, ER, Alias, Nash Bridges, Men in Black II, The Shield, CSI: NY, My Name Is Earl, Mr. & Mrs Smith, CSI: Miami, Community, and The Hills Have Eyes 2. His stunt credits include the films Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Blades of Glory, and TV series such as Angel and Bones. It should also be noted that Mears, though uncredited, was the first actor to portray the villain species known as the Borg in the second season episode titled "Q, Who?" of Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Mears got his breakthrough lead role in the new Friday the 13th film. He was recommended to the producers, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form of Platinum Dunes, by make-up and special effects guru Scott Stoddard, who created the new look for Mears' character, Jason Voorhees. Due to Mears' height at 6 ft 5.5 in (1.97 m) he is one of the tallest actors who ever portrayed Jason, beside Ken Kirzinger, who stands at a similar height to Mears. He was nominated for an MTV Movie Award in the category for Best Villain for his portrayal of Voorhees, but lost to Heath Ledger as the Joker in The Dark Knight.
Mears did a lot of research on child development to flesh out the role of Camp Crystal Lake's notorious resident serial killer:
|“||In the script, Jason watches his mother die in front of him. So I did research on, when you're that age how do your cognitive processes happen? How is the child supposed to be developing? I found out that at that age you're starting to be integrating into society, whether it's through group sports or group activities so that you find out you're not alone. I discovered that he missed that aspect. He was already an outcast from society for looking different and being disfigured, and his only connection to love and reality is his mother.||”|
He is contracted to return for either another Friday the 13th sequel or another film by Platinum Dunes. If Mears reprises his role as Jason, he will be only the second person to portray the character more than once, next to Kane Hodder. He portrayed a Classic Predator in the 2010 science-fiction horror film sequel Predators.
Mears appeared in Ultraforce 2 on the Superego Podcast. He also appeared in the American sitcom Community in the episode "“Romantic Expressionism". He appeared as a zombie, credited as "Master-at-Arms", in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.
On June 5, 2013, it was reported that Warner Bros. relinquished their film rights to the Friday the 13th series back to Paramount as part of a deal that allows Warner Bros. to co-produce Interstellar. One week later, Mears revealed that Paramount is working with Platinum Dunes to make a new installment "as fast as possible".
|1999||Wild Wild West||Stunts|
|2004||The Shield||Crazyhouse||TV series (one episode)|
|E.R.||Joseph||TV series (one episode)|
|Zathura||Lead Zorgon||Minor role|
|2006||The Hills Have Eyes||Larry|
|Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest||Assistant of Davy Jones|
|2007||Blades of Glory||Josh||Cameo|
|The Hills Have Eyes 2||Chameleon||Minor role|
|Resident Evil: Degeneration||Curtis Miller/G||Motion capture|
|2009||His Name Was Jason: 30 Years of Friday the 13th||Himself||Documentary|
|Friday the 13th||Jason Voorhees||Lead role|
|2010||Predators||"Classic" Predator||Lead role|
"Intro to Political Science"
|2011||Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides||Master-at-Arms|
|2013||Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters||Edward|
|Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters||Cyclops|
|2014||Dead Snow: Red vs. Dead||Stavarin|
|Mighty Med||Catastrophe||Episode: There's a Storm Coming|
|Comedy Bang! Bang!||Irate Fan / Executioner / Mr. Hellman||Episodes:
"Pee Wee Herman Wears a Halloween Costume"
"Patton Oswalt Wears a Black Blazer & Dress Shoes"
"Lizzy Caplan Wears All Black & Powder Blue Espadrilles"
|Lost Time||Mr. Elliot||PsyTerror / Aliens|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles||Dojo Ninja|
|2015||Freaks of Nature||Wolf|
|2017||Live by Night||Donnie Gishler||Post-production|
- "Herb Benham: Local actor plays lead role in new "Friday the 13th"". The Bakersfield Californian. 2009-02-12. Archived from the original on February 14, 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-13.
- "Friday the 13th: Derek Mears". SuicideGirls.com. 13 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-13.
- "Reflecting back on a killer weekend, can you say sequel?".
- "Date Set for Sequel to Friday the 13th Remake".
- "Derek Mears talks FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2 status". Fangoria.
- "Nimrod Antal's Predators Identified".
- "More Official Stills of Derek Mears as the Classic Predator in Predators".
- "See Derek Mears as a Zombie in 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides' Trailer!".
- cite web|url=http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/28817/official-poster-for-compound-fracture-starring-derek-mears-and-tyler-mane/
- Warner Bros. Gives Up 'Friday the 13th' Rights to Board Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar', The Hollywood Reporter
- "EXCLUSIVE: Platinum Dunes Partnering With Paramount For ‘Friday The 13th’ Sequel!!!". June 11, 2013. Retrieved June 13, 2013.
- Derek Mears at the Internet Movie Database
- Interview with Derek Mears at SuicideGirls.com
- FEARnet Interview with Derek Mears
|Actors portraying Jason Voorhees