Mears at the Texas Frightmare Weekend in Lewisville, Texas, April 29, 2010
|Born||April 29, 1972|
Bakersfield, California, U.S.
|Known for||Jason Voorhees (Reboot)|
Life and career
Mears has numerous credits both as a stuntman and as an actor. He had minor roles in The Tick, ER, Alias, Nash Bridges, Men in Black II, The Shield, CSI: NY, My Name Is Earl, Mr. & Mrs Smith, CSI: Miami, Community, and The Hills Have Eyes 2. His stunt credits include the films Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Blades of Glory, and TV series such as Angel and Bones.
Mears got his breakthrough lead role in the 2009 Friday the 13th film. He was recommended to the producers, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form of Platinum Dunes, by make-up and special effects guru Scott Stoddard, who created the new look for Mears' character, Jason Voorhees. Due to Mears' height at 6 ft 5.5 in (1.97 m) he is one of the tallest actors who have portrayed Jason, beside Ken Kirzinger, who stands at a similar height to Mears. He was nominated for an MTV Movie Award in the category for Best Villain for his portrayal of Voorhees, but lost to Heath Ledger as the Joker in The Dark Knight.
Mears did a lot of research on child development to flesh out the role of Camp Crystal Lake's notorious resident serial killer:
|“||In the script, Jason watches his mother die in front of him. So I did research on, when you're that age how do your cognitive processes happen? How is the child supposed to be developing? I found out that at that age you're starting to be integrating into society, whether it's through group sports or group activities so that you find out you're not alone. I discovered that he missed that aspect. He was already an outcast from society for looking different and being disfigured, and his only connection to love and reality is his mother.||”|
He is contracted to return for either another Friday the 13th sequel or another film by Platinum Dunes. If Mears reprises his role as Jason, he will be only the second person to portray the character more than once, next to Kane Hodder. He portrayed a Predator in the 2010 science fiction horror film sequel Predators.
Mears appeared in Ultraforce 2 on the Superego podcast. He also appeared in the American sitcom Community in the episode "Romantic Expressionism". He appeared as a zombie, credited as "Master-at-Arms", in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.
On June 5, 2013, it was reported that Warner Bros. had relinquished their film rights to the Friday the 13th series to Paramount as part of a deal that allowed Warner Bros. to co-produce Interstellar. One week later, Mears revealed that Paramount was working with Platinum Dunes to make a new installment "as fast as possible".
|1999||Wild Wild West||Stunts|
|2004||The Shield||Crazyhouse||TV series (one episode)|
|E.R.||Joseph||TV series (one episode)|
|Zathura: A Space Adventure||Lead Zorgon||Minor role|
|2006||The Hills Have Eyes||Larry|
|Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest||Assistant of Davy Jones|
|2007||Blades of Glory||Josh||Cameo|
|The Hills Have Eyes 2||Chameleon||Minor role|
|Resident Evil: Degeneration||Curtis Miller/G||2013|
|2009||Friday the 13th||Jason Voorhees||Lead role|
|His Name Was Jason: 30 Years of Friday the 13th||Himself||Documentary|
|2010||Predators||"Classic" Predator||Lead role|
"Intro to Political Science"
|2011||Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides||Master-at-Arms|
|2013||Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters||Edward|
|Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters||Cyclops|
|2013||Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th||Himself||Documentary film|
|2013–2014||Comedy Bang! Bang!||Irate Fan / Executioner / Mr. Hellman||Episodes:|
"Pee Wee Herman Wears a Halloween Costume"
"Patton Oswalt Wears a Black Blazer & Dress Shoes"
"Lizzy Caplan Wears All Black & Powder Blue Espadrilles"
|2013||Grimm||Krampus||Episode: Twelve Days of Krampus|
|2014||Dead Snow: Red vs. Dead||Stavarin|
|Mighty Med||Catastrophe||Episode: There's a Storm Coming|
|Lost Time||Mr. Elliot||PsyTerror / Aliens|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles||Dojo Ninja|
|2015||Freaks of Nature||Wolf|
|2016||Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping||Limo Driver|
|Live by Night||Donnie Gishler|
|Red vs. Blue||Ruben Lozano||Voice (web series); Episodes:|
|RWBY||Corsac Albain||Voice; Web series|
|Slayaway Camp||Jessica||Minor role|
|2017||From Jennifer||Butch Valentine|
|Twin Peaks||Renzo||TV series|
|Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.||Kree Captain||Episode: "Orientation" Pt. 1|
|2018||The Flash||Dwarfstar / Sylbert Rundine||Episodes:|
"Honey I Shrunk Team Flash"
|2019||Swamp Thing||Swamp Thing||Upcoming series|
- "Herb Benham: Local actor plays lead role in new "Friday the 13th"". The Bakersfield Californian. February 12, 2009. Archived from the original on February 14, 2009. Retrieved February 13, 2009.
- "Friday the 13th: Derek Mears". SuicideGirls.com. February 13, 2009. Retrieved February 13, 2009.
- "Reflecting back on a killer weekend, can you say sequel?". Archived from the original on November 16, 2011.
- "Date Set for Sequel to Friday the 13th Remake".
- "Derek Mears talks FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2 status". Fangoria. Archived from the original on October 21, 2009.
- "Nimrod Antal's Predators Identified".
- "More Official Stills of Derek Mears as the Classic Predator in Predators".
- Chainsaw, Mr. "Exclusive Interview: Derek Mears". www.FromDuskTillCon.com. Retrieved January 20, 2018.
- "See Derek Mears as a Zombie in 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides' Trailer!". Bloody-Disgusting.com.
- "Official Poster For 'Compound Fracture', Starring Derek Mears and Tyler Mane - Bloody Disgusting". Bloody-Disgusting.com. Retrieved January 20, 2018.
- Warner Bros. Gives Up 'Friday the 13th' Rights to Board Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar', The Hollywood Reporter
- "EXCLUSIVE: Platinum Dunes Partnering With Paramount For 'Friday The 13th' Sequel!!!". June 11, 2013. Retrieved June 13, 2013.
- Squires, John (September 11, 2018). "Derek Mears Has Been Cast as the Creature in DC's "Swamp Thing" Series!". Bloody Disgusting.