This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||14 August 1915|
|Died||24 September 2003 (aged 88)|
|Occupation||International bible teacher, theologian, pastor|
Peter Derek Vaughan Prince (14 August 1915 – 24 September 2003) was a Bible teacher whose daily radio programme, Derek Prince Legacy Radio, is broadcast around the world in various languages.
Marriage and the growth of his ministry
Prince moved to Faith Tabernacle in Chicago, and then to Good News Church in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. In May 1971 Derek Prince Publications opened offices in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. Derek Prince Publications became Derek Prince Ministries in December 1990.
The Princes travelled extensively in ministry until his wife Ruth died on 29 December 1998. The following list of countries covers their ministry from 1993 to 1998. Some of these countries were visited more than once: Russia, Germany, Kazakhstan, Hungary, South Africa, Kenya, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Turkey, Poland, Bahrain, Cuba, Colombia, Switzerland, France, Portugal, India and England.
Derek Prince Ministries continues to distribute his teachings and to train missionaries, church leaders, and congregations through the outreaches of more than thirty DPM offices around the world, including primary work in Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Russia, South Africa, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
At the time of Prince's death in September 2003, he was the author of over 50 books, 600 audio and 100 video teachings, many of which have been translated and published in more than 100 languages. Some of the subjects that are covered in his teachings are prayer and fasting, foundations of the Christian faith, spiritual warfare, God's love and marriage and family.
Demons and deliverance
As a Pentecostal, Prince believed in the reality of spiritual forces operating in the world, and of the power of demons to cause illness and psychological problems. While in Seattle he was asked to perform an exorcism on a woman, and he came to believe that Christians could be "demonized" (normally described as "possessed" by demons - Prince avoided this term which implies 'ownership'). This was at odds with the more usual Pentecostal view that demons could "possess" unbelievers, but could only "oppress" Christians. Prince believed that his deliverance ministry used the power of God to defeat demons.
Prince, who taught on many themes and subjects including the foundational truths of the Bible, was probably most noted for his teachings about demons, deliverance ministry, and Israel. He strongly opposed replacement theology. His book The Destiny of Israel and the Church argues that the Church has not replaced Israel and that the covenant that God made with the nation of Israel still stands today. Prince also believed that the creation of the state of Israel was the fulfillment of biblical prophecy. Derek states in his book Promised Land, "The central theme of biblical prophecy, as it is being unfolded in our time, revolves around the land and the people of Israel. God is carrying out His predetermined plan to regather the Jewish people from their worldwide dispersion and restore them to their ancient homeland."
The Shepherding Movement controversy
In 1968, Prince joined the Holy Spirit Teaching Mission (HSTM), which linked him to three other Charismatic Christian pastors living in Ft. Lauderdale: Don Basham, Bob Mumford, and Charles Simpson. The HSTM had been founded by businessman Eldon Purvis; but after the discovery of Purvis's homosexuality the leadership team of the HSTM asked Basham, Mumford, Prince, and Simpson to help in managing the crisis. Prince and the others changed the name of the HSTM to Christian Growth Ministries (CGM) in 1972. CGM sought to counter what were seen as excesses within the Charismatic Movement by emphasizing discipleship and pastoral care which later on was abused by those in leadership positions. CGM continued with the publication of the New Wine magazine which began under the HSTM in June 1969. David Moore, author of The Shepherding Movement, states "Essential for an accurate history of the Shepherding Movement is a complete collection of New Wine. The magazine, published from 1969 through 1986, was the principal publishing voice of the five teachers and the movement." The group was joined by Ern Baxter, and the five men became known as the Fort Lauderdale Five. Their ministry became known as the Shepherding Movement. Different factions of the movement began to emphasise submission and authority.
Prince later left the group and repented in public over being a member. There are several sermons in which Prince comments on the shepherding controversy (sometimes referring to it as "Discipleship Movement")., even in Ft. Lauderdale years after.
Prince published many books and recorded over 600 audio teaching sermons and 100 video teachings.
His books include:
- The Foundations Series (1966)
- Praying for the Government (1970)
- Shaping History Through Prayer and Fasting (1973)
- Appointment in Jerusalem (1975)
- Faith to Live By (1977)
- The Grace of Yielding (1977)
- Marriage Covenant (1978)
- Promised Land (1982)
- The Last Word on the Middle East (1982)
- God Is a Matchmaker (1986)
- Blessing or Curse: You Can Choose (1990)
- The Destiny of Israel and the Church (1992)
- Does Your Tongue Need Healing? (1992)
- God's Remedy for Rejection (1993)
- Protection from Deception (1996)
- They Shall Expel Demons (1998)
- Who is the Holy Spirit? (1999)
- Husbands and Fathers (2000)
- Judging: When? Why? How? (2001)
- Through the Psalms with Derek Prince (2002)
- War in Heaven (2003)
- Bought with Blood
- Entering the Presence of God
- Lucifer Exposed: The Devil's Plans to Destroy Your Life
- Prophetic Guide to the End Times
- Rules of Engagement
- Secrets of a Prayer Warrior
- Transformed for Life: How to Know God Better and Love Him More
- Stephen Mansfield, Derek Prince: A Biography (Charisma House, 2005).
- Obituary in King's College Cambridge Annual Report, 2004.
- "Account Suspended". restoringyourlife.org. Archived from the original on 6 July 2015. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- Stephen Mansfield. Derek Prince A Biography (Charisma House, 2005), 281.
- Florida Department of State, Division of Corporations
- Stephen Mansfield. Derek Prince A Biography (Charisma House, 2005) 281 - 283.
- Derek Prince. God's Word Heals (Whitaker House, 2010). About the Author in back of book.
- Derek Prince Secrets of a Prayer Warrior (Chosen, 2009) About the author in the back of the book.
- Derek Prince.Secrets of a Prayer Warrior (Chosen, 2009), Shaping History Through Prayer and Fasting (Whitaker House, 1993), Fasting (Whitaker House, 1993)
- Derek Prince.Foundation Truths for Christian Living(Charisma House, 2006), Founded on the Rock (Derek Prince Ministries-International, 2007), Authority and Power of God's Word (Derek Prince Ministries-International, 2009), Through Repentance to Faith (Derek Prince Ministries-International, 2009),
- Derek Prince.Lucifer Exposed (Derek Prince Ministries-International, 2006), Spiritual Warfare (Whitaker House, 1992), War in Heaven (Chosen, 2003)
- Derek Prince.You Matter to God (Chosen, 2010), Extravagant Love (Derek Prince Ministries-International, 1990), God's Remedy for Rejection (Whitaker House, 1997)
- Derek Prince.Husbands and Fathers (Chosen, 2000), The Choice of a Partner (Derek Prince Ministries-International, 1990), Marriage Covenant (Whitaker House, 1993), God Is a Matchmaker (Chosen, 1984)
- Derek Prince (1 May 1998). They Shall Expel Demons: What You Need to Know about Demons--Your Invisible Enemies. Baker Books. pp. 142–. ISBN 978-1-58558-185-6.
- Derek Prince (1 May 1998). They Shall Expel Demons: What You Need to Know about Demons--Your Invisible Enemies. Baker Books. pp. 16–17. ISBN 978-1-58558-185-6.
- Derek Prince (1971). Deliverance and Demonology - Derek Prince Ministries. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- Derek Prince. Blessings or Curse: You Can Choose! (Chosen, 1990, They Shall Expel Demons (Chosen, 1998)
- Derek Prince Ministries
- Derek Prince Promised Land: God's Word and the Nation of Israel (Derek Prince Ministries-International, 2003) 55
- S. David Moore The Shepherding Movement (T&T Clark International, 2003) 28 (Mr. Moore does not mention what the misconduct was out of deference to Mr. Purvis, but it was well known at the time that it was homosexual activity.)
- S David Moore The Shepherding Movement (T&T Clark International, 2003) 53.
- "Charismatic Movement - CS Ministries Publications". CSM. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- S. David Moore The Shepherding Movement (T&T Clark International, 2003) 11
- Linda Howard A New Beginning (Charisma magazine, April 1984) 38, S David Moore The Shepherding Movement (T&T Clark International, 2003) 165, 175
- Derek Prince - Bend the Church & Bow the World (1/6) - God Holds the Church Accountable (+Chi. Subs). YouTube. 10 February 2011. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- Derek Prince - Women in the Church (1/3) (with Chinese Subs). YouTube. 12 February 2011. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- "Books by Derek Prince (Author of They Shall Expel Demons)". goodreads.com. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- "Lucifer exposed : the Devil's plan to destroy your life". WorldCat.org. Retrieved 31 May 2016.