This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||August 28, 1972|
Deerfield Beach, Florida, United States
|Genres||Death metal, technical death metal, noise rock, post-hardcore, black metal, progressive metal, instrumental rock, melodic death metal|
|Instruments||Drums, percussion, guitar, bass|
|Labels||Pavement, Nightsky, Olympic, Relapse, Martyr, Hammerheart, Earache|
|Associated acts||Aurora Borealis, Council of the Fallen, Hate Eternal, Malevolent Creation, Nile, Serpent's Rise, Today Is the Day, Traumedy|
Derek Roddy (born August 28, 1972) is an American drummer and snake breeder, originally from Deerfield Beach, Florida. His ability to record entire drum tracks in one or two takes earned him the nickname "One Take".
Derek has gained a reputation worldwide as an extreme metal drummer. Though he may be known as the second drummer of Hate Eternal, he has also played and recorded with Nile, Malevolent Creation, Divine Empire, Council of the Fallen (where he also played guitar), Today Is the Day, Traumedy and Aurora Borealis. On March 28, 2006, Derek Roddy announced his departure from Hate Eternal. In February 2006, Roddy was briefly named as the drummer for Blotted Science, but was unable to record due to conflicting schedules. Lamb of God drummer Chris Adler had also been considered for the project. Around 2007, Roddy started an instrumental band called Serpents Rise, which almost immediately grabbed the attention of drummers around the world. Serpents Rise is often referred to by fans as having an obscure sound for their bizarre guitar parts and incorporation of various percussion instruments. In 2010 Roddy was one out of seven drummers who auditioned to replace Mike Portnoy as the drummer for Dream Theater.
Since his departure from Hate Eternal in 2006, he has become a featured drum clinician for several companies, including Meinl Cymbals, Vater Percussion, and Sonor Drums (later DW). He's performed at the Singapore Drum Festival, NAMM Show, Meinl Drum Festival, DrummerLive, PASIC, and at the 2008 Modern Drummer Festival–a performance which has since been released in the DVD format by Hudson Music.
- 1 Discography
- 2 Gear
- 3 References
- 4 External links
With Aurora Borealis
- Praise the Archaic Light's Embrace (1998)
- Northern Lights (2000)
- Northern Lights: DieHard Release (2001)
With Council of the Fallen
- Demo (1999)
- Revealing Damnation (2002)
- Demo (1997)
With Deboning Method
- Demo (1992)
- Cold Demo (1993)
With Divine Empire
- Redemption (1998)
With Gothic Outcasts
- Sights Unseen (1997)
With Hate Eternal
With Malevolent Creation
- In Cold Blood (1997)
- Black Seeds of Vengeance (September 5, 2000)
With Today Is the Day
- Axis of Eden (2007)
- Drum Nation Vol. 3 (2006)
- Visionaries of the Macabre: Vol.1 (1998)
- Worldwide Metal Inquisition (1998)
With Serpents Rise
- Serpents Rise (2010)
- Serpents Rise 2 (2012)
- Serpents Rise III (2014)
This article may contain an excessive amount of intricate detail that may interest only a particular audience.Learn how and when to remove this template message)(December 2016) (
Derek is a full endorser of DW drums and hardware, Meinl cymbals, Remo drumheads, Vater drumsticks, and Axis pedals. Derek was a former endorser of Sonor drums prior to his switch to DW. Before signing on with Meinl, Derek also used Paiste and then Sabian cymbals. He also used Aquarian drumheads in the past.
- Drums: DW Collector's Series Maple: Natural to Regal Burst over Ivory Ebony Exotic
- 20" x 15" Kick Drum (x2)
- 10" x 8" Tom
- 12" x 8" Tom
- 8" x 8" Tom
- 14" x 14" Floor Tom
- 16" x 16" Floor Tom
- 10" x 5" Snare
- 13" x 5" Snare
- 14" x 6.5" Collector's Bronze Snare (knurled finish)
- Cymbals: Meinl
- 8" Soundcaster Custom Splash
- 10" Soundcaster Custom Splash
- 20" Mb20 Rock China
- 13" Byzance Brilliant Serpents Hi-hats
- 16" Soundcaster Custom Medium Crash
- 17" Soundcaster Custom Medium Crash
- 12" Generation X Filter China
- 10" Generation X Filter China
- 18" Mb20 Rock China
- 21" Byzance Brilliant Serpents Ride
- 18" Soundcaster Custom Medium Crash
- 8" Generation X FX Hi-hats
- Drumheads: Remo
- Drumsticks: Vater
- Derek Roddy Signature: Derek's model is in between a 5A and 5B in the grip. The stick features a really quick taper to a small acorn tip for warm, but defined cymbal tones. A great stick for a variety of musical applications.
- Pedals: Axis
- A21 Derek Roddy Signature pedals
- E-kit Triggers
- Axis Wrecking Ball Beaters
- "Derek Roddy profile". Meinl Cymbals. Roland Meinl Musikinstrumente GmbH & Co. KG. Archived from the original on May 26, 2012. Retrieved September 5, 2009.
- ,Nile, Black Seeds of Vengeance Album credits, 2000
- "Derek Roddy". Drummerworld. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- "Blotted Science". Metalunderground.com. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- "Discography taken from his official website". Derekroddy.com. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- "Derek Roddy at Meinl Cymbals". Meinlcymbals.com. Archived from the original on 2012-05-26. Retrieved 2011-10-26.