California, United States of America
Derek Sivers is an American writer, musician, programmer and entrepreneur best known for being the founder and former president of CD Baby, an online CD store for independent musicians. A professional musician since 1987, Sivers started CD Baby by accident in 1997 when he was selling his own CD on his website, and friends asked if he could sell theirs, too. CD Baby went on to become the largest seller of independent music on the web, with over $100M in sales for over 150,000 musician clients.
In 2008, Sivers sold CD Baby to focus on his new ventures to benefit musicians. His current projects and writings are at sive.rs.
In June 2013, Sivers launched his new company, Wood Egg, which published annual guides on how to build companies in Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Sivers resides in New Zealand.
In 2008, Derek Sivers transferred ownership of his company to a charitable remainder unitrust called Independent Musicians Charitable Remainder Unitrust for music education, and had the trust sell it to Disc Makers.
- Anything you want (2011, The Domino Project)
- Your Music and People: Creative and considerate fame
- Hell Yeah or No
- Small, M (2009). "Berklee Today". Indie Musician Advocate
- "Wood Egg – 2014 Startup Guides". woodegg.com.
- "Derek Sivers". sive.rs.
- Why I gave my company away to charity.
- Derek Sivers. Anything you want. The Domino Project. ISBN 978-1-936719-11-2.
- Derek Sivers (2020). Your Music and People: Creative and considerate fame. Hit Media. ISBN 978-1-98-857503-2.
- Derek Sivers (2020). Hell Yeah or No: What’s worth doing. Hit Media. ISBN 978-1-98-857506-3.
- Derek Sivers at TED
- Interview with Derek Sivers – Sivers' interview on Workspiration.org
- Interview with Derek Sivers – Sivers' interview Humanbehavior.solutions
|This business-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|