Derek K. Smart is an American video game designer. He is the president and lead developer of 3000AD, Inc., an indie game development company based in Aventura, FL. In addition he is the president of and investor in the development company Quest Online. Smart is an independent video game designer and software developer, and the creator of several video game series.
Through his 3000AD company, Smart has developed a total of nineteen games to date, across his various franchise properties; most of which are derivative works. Through his Quest Online company, he also worked on the completion of the MMO Alganon as well as that game's expansion pack, Rise of the Ourobani. In 2008, Smart's 3000AD company has entered a partnership with GamersGate, covering the digital distribution of the Universal Combat series as well as upcoming releases planned by 3000AD, Inc.
Derek Smart is a board member of the Miami chapter of the International Game Developers Association. In 1996, Take 2 Interactive released his first game, Battlecruiser 3000AD. Prior to the release Smart and Take 2 were involved in a dispute over the premature release of the game. The matter was later settled out of court. Smart also signed a deal with DC Comics in which several comics have been created for his Line of Defense games. A comic for Alganon was also released.
- Line of Defense (2014)
- Line of Defense Tactics (2014)
- All Aspect Warfare (2009)
- Angle of Attack (2009)
- Galactic Command Echo Squad SE (2008)
- Galactic Command Echo Squad (2006)
- Universal Combat CE 2.0 (2009)
- Universal Combat CE (2007)
- Universal Combat SE (2006)
- Universal Combat A World Apart (2005)
- Universal Combat Gold (2005)
- Universal Combat (2004)
- Battlecruiser Millennium: Gold Edition (2003)
- Battlecruiser Millennium (2001)
- Battlecruiser 3000AD (v2.0) (1999)
- Battlecruiser 3000AD (1996)
Computer Games Magazine wrote that "over time, his reputation as an online defender of his games and unabashed pistol-whipper of his enemies overshadows the games themselves." A 2012 in-depth article regarding the disconnect between his real-life and online alter-ego was authored by media veteran Russ Pitts and published by Polygon.
- "Quest Online Corporate information". Retrieved 7 July 2011.
- Games Portfolio
- Alganon - Rise Of The Ourobani
- Chalk, Andy (20 February 2008). "3000AD Does Distribution Deal With GamersGate". The Escapist. Retrieved 27 November 2008.
- "3000AD, Inc. Partners with GamersGate". IGN. Retrieved 27 November 2008.
- "IGDA Miami — Chapter Meeting: June 2002". Archived from the original on 27 April 2006. Retrieved 28 November 2006.
- "1997 3000AD and Take 2 settle differences". 23 December 1998.
- Line Of Defense Comic Issues 1-3, Lodmmo.com
- Alganon - Fall Of The Ourobani comic
- Julian Murdoch, Computer Games Magazine, The People vs. Derek Smart, Issue 196.
- "The Redemption Of Derek Smart". Retrieved 21 March 2012.