Derek K. Smart is an American video game designer. He is the president and lead developer of 3000AD, Inc., an indie game development company based in Aventura, FL. In addition he is the president of and investor in the video game development company Quest Online. Smart is an independent video game designer and software developer, and the creator of several video game series.
In 1996, Take 2 Interactive released his first game, Battlecruiser 3000AD. Prior to the release Smart and Take 2 were involved in a dispute over the premature release of the game. The matter was later settled out of court.
Through his 3000AD company, Smart has developed a total of nineteen games to date, across his various franchise properties; most of which are derivative works. Through his Quest Online company, he also worked on the completion of the MMO Alganon as well as that game's expansion pack, Rise of the Ourobani.
- Line of Defense (2014)
- Line of Defense Tactics (2014)
- All Aspect Warfare (2009)
- Angle of Attack (2009)
- Galactic Command Echo Squad SE (2008)
- Galactic Command Echo Squad (2006)
- Universal Combat CE 2.0 (2009)
- Universal Combat CE (2007)
- Universal Combat SE (2006)
- Universal Combat A World Apart (2005)
- Universal Combat Gold (2005)
- Universal Combat (2004)
- Battlecruiser Millennium: Gold Edition (2003)
- Battlecruiser Millennium (2001)
- Battlecruiser 3000AD (v2.0) (1999)
- Battlecruiser 3000AD (1996)
Computer Games Magazine wrote that "over time, his reputation as an online defender of his games and unabashed pistol-whipper of his enemies overshadows the games themselves." A 2012 in-depth article regarding the disconnect between his real-life and online alter-ego was authored by media veteran Russ Pitts and published by Polygon.
In 2015 during the height of the Gamergate controversy, Smart appeared on an Society of Professional Journalists live broadcast panel  alongside alt-right advocate Milo Yiannopoulos then editor of Breitbart News, Christina Sommers of American Enterprise Institute, Lynn Walsh of the Society Of Professional Journalists, Asche Schow of the Washington Examiner and others. In that panel, he decried the actions of media who were branding GamerGate members as a hate group.
Since July 2015 Smart has also been embroiled in heated controversy surrounding the Star Citizen crowd-funded game which he claimed in July 2015 could never be developed due to its scope and promises. With widespread media coverage surrounding the project, he has since gone on to write various blogs  about the project.
- "Quest Online Corporate information". Retrieved 7 July 2011.
- "1997 3000AD and Take 2 settle differences". 23 December 1998.
- Games Portfolio
- Alganon - Rise Of The Ourobani
- Line Of Defense Comic Issues 1-3, Lodmmo.com
- Alganon - Fall Of The Ourobani comic
- "IGDA Miami — Chapter Meeting: June 2002". Archived from the original on 27 April 2006. Retrieved 28 November 2006.
- Julian Murdoch, Computer Games Magazine, The People vs. Derek Smart, Issue 196.
- "The Redemption Of Derek Smart". Retrieved 21 March 2012.