||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2010)|
Derek Yu at GDC 2007
July 2, 1982 |
|Occupation||Game developer, artist, blogger|
Yu has helped make freeware games in the past and commercial efforts today.
A collaboration between Yu and Alec Holowka (at times a long-distance one, as the two live in separate countries), Aquaria is a side-scrolling video game that takes place underwater. It won the Independent Games Festival's 2007 Seumas McNally Grand Prize, was available as a download, and was also sold in a Humble Indie Bundle.
Spelunky is a platform game with randomized level generation similar to roguelike games. It is reminiscent of the 1983 game Spelunker. It has been available through Xbox Live Marketplace since July 4, 2012 and was released for the PC via Steam in 2013.
- Graphical tileset for DoomRL
- Road To The IGF: Bit Blot's Aquaria gamesutra.com, October 23, 2006
- Inside Job: Interview; Aquaria Creators Derek Yu, Alec Holowka (page 2/5) escapistmagazine.com, 18 January 2008
- 4cr Interview - Derek Yu 4colorrebellion.com, September 30th, 2005
- Blackeye software profile reloaded.org
- Eternal Daughter the-underdogs.org (Archive.org cache)
- Wallis, Alistair (2006-10-23). "Road To The IGF: Bit Blot's Aquaria". Gamasutra. Retrieved 2009-12-10.
- GF Award Winner Aquaria Released Today kotaku.com.au, December 8, 2007
- Company Bit Blot Official Site
- IGS: Inside The Making Of Aquaria gamesutra.com, February 18, 2008
- 2007 Finalists and Winners: 2007 Independent Games Festival Winners Independent Games Festival Official Site
- Aquaria Sets Sale On Steam kotaku.com, Dec 17, 2008
- "Major Nelson Xbox Live Marketplace Release Schedule". Retrieved 2012-06-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Derek Yu.|