Dernière danse (Indila song)
|Single by Indila|
|from the album Mini World|
|Released||November 13, 2013|
|Label||Capitol Music Group|
|Indila singles chronology|
"Dernière danse" (English: "Last dance") is a song recorded by French singer-songwriter Indila. It served as the first single from her debut album, Mini World. The musical motif is likely sampled from Charles Aznavour's song Parce Que Tu Crois.
Background and possible synopsis
This is a drama song which is full of despair and sorrow "here comes the pain". Despair may come from loneliness as the singer can be seen holding a picture of someone she longs for. Without him/her she suffers from low self-esteem "I’m just a worthless being", sense of separation from the one she loves: "without him I’m a bit troubled", from a painful past "a last dance to forget my great misery". It also comes from the fear of confrontation with the darkness. Darkness is represented by the city (rude, pushy man, unforgiving landlord, staring woman in a car) and internally represented in her emotional world by her “sweet” torment to find courage, feminine strength, and most of all, self-esteem. She also wants to reconnect with the one she loves or simply with a masculine energy "try as I might, without you my life is nothing but a meaningless shiny décor". Thus, she is confronted: "I’m afraid, is this my turn?", by the external and internal elements, external and internal storm that hits her and the city. She is fighting with her weaknesses, for she does not want to abandon hope for love and salvation from her misery: "In all of Paris, I abandon myself and away I fly, fly / a bit of love and I dance...".
Then, in the climax, she realizes she paid off her dues and is fed up with the torment: "offences I paid in full". She challenges the world, "this is my last dance" to show how great her heart is, how ready for challenge, romance, appreciation of her feminine strength (in the video she faces the storm with loose hair, standing firmly with arms and legs apart). “Listen to how great my heart is / I’m a child of the world”. She is ready to become mature: leave her childish fears behind (in the video represented by the girl hiding in the car and looking via back window) and make the world realize she is the embodiment of the divine universe: "I stir the sky, the day, the night, I dance with the wind, the rain." In the video she embraces the storm cloud and is elevated to a quiet spot where she is unaffected by its violence and noise. However, there is a catch, because up there the wind steals the photo of the one she was longing for. In the whole song, she seems to transform from a child, to a woman, to a spiritual consciousness: "In all Paris, I abandon myself and away I fly, fly, fly…".
A lyric video was uploaded on the artist's Vevo channel simultaneously on the release day of the song. The video starts off with the title and a sketched version of the singer and a fade-out to black after the song finishes. There is also a Germany-only re-release of the music video provided with German subtitles released after the premiere of the original music video.
On March 1, 2014, it entered the Greek charts at number-one and stayed at the first place for seven weeks. On April 19, 2014, it was knocked down to #2 by Pharrell Williams' Happy. It reclaimed #1 the following week, and remained there for another five weeks, totaling at thirteen weeks at #1.
- Natacha Andréani performed the song on the third season of the French version of The Voice.
- Nicole Cherry impersonated the singer and performed the song on the Romanian version of the reality show, Your Face Sounds Familiar.
- In 2014, Shirel Bitan performed the song on the third season of the Israeli version of The Voice
- In 2015, Владислав Керанов, JAY, F.O. - Последен танц (Vladislav Keranov, Jay and F.O.) BG Hip-Hop comic parody version.
- The Serbian actress Jelena Gavrilovic impersonated the singer and sang this song on the Serbian version of Your Face Sounds Familiar.
- In 2016, Kosovan singer Kestrina Blackori performed the song on the 5th season of the Albanian version of The Voice but didn't score a chair turn.
- "Indila : découvrez "Dernière danse", son premier clip apocalyptique (màj)". Charts in France (in French). Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Indila : Dernière Danse, le clip dévoilé". Melty (in French). Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Indila : Dernière Danse, la vidéo lyrics dévoilée". Melty (in French). Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Dernière Danse (German Subtitles) - Indila - Vevo". Vevo.
- "Greece Digital Songs – March 1, 2014". Prometheus Global Media. (subscription required)
- "Billboard Greece Digital Songs - April 19, 2014". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 12 April 2014. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "Billboard Greece Digital Songs - April 26, 2014". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 19 April 2014. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "Greece Digital Songs – May 31, 2014". Billboard. (subscription required)
- "Austriancharts.at – Indila – Dernière danse" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Indila – Dernière danse" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Indila – Dernière danse" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Indila – Dernière danse" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Indila – Dernière danse" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Belgium Digital Songs – March 8, 2014". Prometheus Global Media. 8 March 2014. Retrieved 10 June 2014. (subscription required)
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201427 into search.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Digital Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201433 into search. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "Lescharts.com – Indila – Dernière danse" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Indila Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Airplay Chart" (in Greek). International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. Archived from the original on 17 April 2014.
- "Indila – Dernière danse Media Forest". Israeli Airplay Chart. Media Forest. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- "Italiancharts.com – Indila – Dernière danse". Top Digital Download. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Airplay Top 100. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "Top 5 Airplay TV". Polish Video Chart. ZPAV. Retrieved 2017-02-08.
- "Media Forest – Weekly Charts. Media Forest. 24 March 2014. Retrieved 2 July 2018. Note: Romanian and international positions are rendered together by the number of plays before resulting an overall chart.
- "Media Forest – Weekly Charts. Media Forest. 21 April 2014. Retrieved 3 July 2018. Note: Select 'Songs – TV'. Romanian and international positions are rendered together by the number of plays before resulting an overall chart.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201440 into search.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Singles Digital Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201428 into search. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- "Swisscharts.com – Indila – Dernière danse". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Number One FM Top 40 Playlist". Number 1 TV. Retrieved 23 July 2014. (subscription required)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-01-02. Retrieved 2014-12-28.
- "Utwory, których słuchaliśmy w radiu – Airplay 2014" (in Polish). Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved January 21, 2015.
- "Natacha Andréani interprète en direct "La dernière danse" (Indila) pour The Voice". TF1 (in French). Archived from the original on 8 April 2014. Retrieved 5 April 2014.