Location of Derventa within Republika Srpska
|Country||Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|• Mayor||Milorad Simić (SNSD) |
|• Total||516,84 km2 (19,955 sq mi)|
|Population (2013 census)|
|• Density||58,4/km2 (1,510/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Derventa (Serbian Cyrillic: Дервента) is a town and municipality of Bosnia and Herzegovina in the northern part of Republika Srpska just northwest of the town of Doboj, in the Posavina region. The municipality comprises 57 villages as well as the town itself.
The Derventa municipality borders with Bosanski Brod, Modriča, Doboj, Prnjavor and Srbac, as well as Croatia across the Sava river. It has an area of 517 km2 (200 sq mi) and includes 57 villages in addition to the actual town of Derventa.
The town of Derventa lies on the river Ukrina, and roads lead from it to Bosanski Brod, Kotorsko (Doboj), Prnjavor (Banja Luka) and Srbac.
The town has a suburb called Derventski Lug which has grown substantially in recent years due to growth of Municipality.
• Agići • Begluci • Bijelo Brdo • Bosanski Dubočac • Brezici • Bukovac • Bukovica Mala • Bukovica Velika • Bunar • Cerani • Crnča • Dažnica • Derventa • Donja Bišnja • Donja Lupljanica • Donji Detlak • Donji Višnjik • Drijen • Gornja Bišnja • Gornja Lupljanica • Gornji Božinci • Gornji Detlak • Gornji Višnjik • Gradac • Gradina • Kalenderovci Donji • Kalenderovci Gornji • Kostreš • Kovačevci • Kulina • Kuljenovci • Derventski Lug • Lužani • Lužani Bosanski • Lužani Novi • Mala Sočanica • Mišinci • Miškovci • Modran • Osinja • Osojci • Pjevalovac • Pojezna • Poljari • Polje • Rapćani • Stanići • Šušnjari • Tetima • Trstenci • Tunjestala • Velika • Velika Sočanica • Vrhovi • Zelenike • Žeravac i Živinice.
Derventa's population is split into two different categories. The first being a demographic of the town's population solely. The second however also takes into account the town's population, but it also includes all of the other settlements as well. The previous census' were taken during Yugoslavia prior to the aggression on Bosnia and Herzegovina, that would engulf the region. Like many other areas the war drastically changed the complection of Derventa's population.
The most recent census of Bosnia and Herzegovina, was taken from October 1st until October 15th, 2013. It was the first census taken in the country since the Bosnian War. The full ethnic statistics will not be released until approximately July 2014. Preliminary results estimate the municipality's population to be 30,177. 
The most popular sport in Derventa is football and the city has a long footballing tradition. Derventa's first football club was formed in 1919 under the name FK Dečko. Several other sports associations formed in Derventa prior to the outbreak of the Second World War. The war caused the dissolution of all previous clubs in Derventa and the formation of FK Tekstilac, who merged with FK Dečko. FK Tekstilac still competes today in the First League of the Republika Srpska and its home ground is Gradski Stadion FK Tekstilac, which has an attendance capacity of around 500 spectators. Derventa's most successful sports team is RK Derventa, which currently competes in the Premier league of Bosnia and Herzegovina for handball, which is the nation's top professional handball division. Derventa is known throughout the region for its tradition of handball excellence, creating many great players as well as having a very successful club given that it is such a small city.
People from Derventa
- Vedran Ćorluka, footballer
- Mile Kitić, folk singer
- Dara Bubamara, pop singer
- Miroslav Pejić, footballer
- Mario Tokić, footballer
- Abaz Arslanagić, handball player and coach
- Muhamed Memić, handball player
- Sulejman Medenčević, cinematographer
- Dragan Đurić, former president of FK Partizan
- Senad Lupić, footballer
- Zoran Rankić, actor
- Alojz Benac, archaeologist
- Nikola Kalabić, Chetnik commander
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Derventa.|
- Zvanična prezentacija opštine Derventa
- Derventski Lug
- Cyber Derventa
- Parish of Derventa (Župa Derventa)
- Roman Catholic Parish of Derventa
- Fabrika cijevi Derventa
- Fabrika Obuće Sanino d.o.o.Derventa
- Gatarić Group