|Directed by||Kenny Ortega|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Producer(s)||Tracey Jeffrey (line producer)|
|Running time||111 minutes|
|Distributor||Disney–ABC Domestic Television|
|Original release||July 21, 2017|
|Followed by||Descendants 3|
Descendants 2 is an American musical fantasy television film. It premiered as a Disney Channel Original Movie on July 21, 2017 on Disney Channel, and was simulcast on Disney-owned networks ABC, Disney XD, Freeform, Lifetime and Lifetime Movies. It is the second installment in the Descendants franchise and the sequel to the 2015 film Descendants. The film stars Dove Cameron, Cameron Boyce, Sofia Carson, Booboo Stewart, Mitchell Hope and China Anne McClain. A third film, Descendants 3, will premiere in 2019.
- 1 Plot
- 2 Cast
- 3 Production
- 4 Broadcast
- 5 Home media
- 6 Reception
- 7 Soundtrack
- 8 Sequel
- 9 Novels
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Mal struggles with her new celebrity life as the girlfriend of King Ben, putting a spell on her hair making it blonde, and maintaining a princess-like personality that she is uncomfortable with. She admits her issues to her friends Evie, Carlos, and Jay, but they are content with their new lives in Auradon and do not wish to return to the Isle of the Lost. Evie scolds Mal for relying on her mother's spell book to solve her issues. Carlos, wishing to ask Jane to the upcoming Cotillion dance, turns to Mal for help to be honest with her. Mal gives him a sweet that will make him speak the truth, but his dog Dude eats it, magically speaking the truth in English and very frankly as a result.
Ben eventually discovers Mal's reliance on magic, and she comes clean about her insecurities, causing the two to have a falling-out. Mal returns to the Isle, now ruled by her former friend Uma, Ursula's daughter, along with Harry and Gil, the sons of Captain Hook and Gaston. Mal visits hair stylist Dizzy Tremaine, Drizella's daughter, who restores her signature purple hair, saying she felt that Mal's blonde hair was unnatural. Harry discovers Mal has returned and informs Uma.
Ben, Evie, Jay, and Carlos learn of Mal's departure and sneak onto the island to find her, but Gil recognizes them. Ben confronts Mal, who rejects his feelings for what she thought was both his sake and Auradon's. Ben leaves dejected, only to be captured by Uma, who orders Mal and her friends to retrieve the Fairy Godmother's wand or Ben dies. Carlos and Jay return to Auradon Prep, where they create a replica of the wand using a 3D printer. They are caught by Lonnie, Mulan's daughter, who blackmails them into letting her come with them, having previously been rejected from Jay's sports team based on her gender.
Uma speaks with Ben, bitter that she and the others were not chosen to go to Auradon. Ben takes this into account and invites her to Auradon, but Uma instead plots to make her own way there. Mal's group return, handing over the fake wand in exchange for Ben, but Uma realizes it is a forgery. The group flee back to Auradon, but Mal and Ben's relationship is still on the rocks. The villains' children come to terms that they cannot run from their pasts and agree to be honest with themselves and each other. Carlos confesses to Jane but struggles a little bit, while Jay appoints Lonnie as the captain of his team.
Aboard a ship during the Cotillion, Ben stuns everyone by appearing with Uma, who he declares as his true love and announces he will destroy the barrier on the Isle. Jane unveils a stained glass display Ben commissioned to show his affection for Mal, who realizes he loved her for who she was all along. Suspecting Uma has given him a love potion, Mal confesses her love for Ben and kisses him, breaking the spell. Feeling infuriated, Uma leaps into the water, using Ursula's magic seashell to transform into an octopus, Mal fights back by transforming into a dragon. Ben intervenes, quelling the battle, and Uma returns the ring, that Ben had originally given her, when he had declared her as his true love, and swims away despite his offer still standing.
Mal and Ben reunite, Mal surrendering her spell book to the Fairy Godmother. Evie requests that Dizzy be allowed to attend Auradon Prep. When she is given the offer, Dizzy accepts it immediately. In a post-credit scene, Uma addresses the audience, promising that the story is not over.
- Dove Cameron as Mal, daughter of Maleficent
- Cameron Boyce as Carlos, son of Cruella De Vil
- Sofia Carson as Evie, daughter of The Evil Queen
- Booboo Stewart as Jay, son of Jafar
- Mitchell Hope as Ben, son of Belle and Beast
- Brenna D'Amico as Jane, daughter of the Fairy Godmother
- Melanie Paxson as the Fairy Godmother, the headmistress of Auradon Prep and Jane's mother
- Bobby Moynihan as the Voice of Dude, Carlos' dog
- Thomas Doherty as Harry Hook, son of Captain Hook
- Dylan Playfair as Gil, son of Gaston
- Dianne Doan as Lonnie, daughter of Fa Mulan and Li Shang
- Jedidiah Goodacre as Chad Charming, son of Cinderella and Prince Charming
- Zachary Gibson as Doug, son of Dopey the Dwarf
- Anna Cathcart as Dizzy Tremaine, daughter of Drizella Tremaine and granddaughter of Lady Tremaine
- Dan Payne as the Beast, Queen Belle's husband and Ben's father
- Keegan Connor Tracy as Belle, Beast's wife and Ben's mother
- China Anne McClain as Uma, daughter of Ursula
At the 2015 D23 Expo, Disney announced that a Descendants sequel film had been ordered. An official announcement was made on Disney Channel's Facebook page on October 15, 2015. Deadline Hollywood reported that Parriott and McGibbon would return as screenwriters and executive producers for the sequel and that the cast from the first film was expected to return.
According to China Anne McClain, the post-credits scene featuring Uma saying to the public that “You didn’t think this was the end of the story?” was not included in the original script that she read. However, it was eventually decided to include it in order to foreshadow a possible further sequel, like in the case of the original film.
On June 10, 2016, China Anne McClain, who was already voicing Freddie on the Descendants spinoff series Descendants: Wicked World, was announced to be playing Ursula's daughter, Uma, in Descendants 2. In July 2016 it was revealed that Thomas Doherty would play the role of Harry, the son of Captain Hook. In August 2016, Sarah Jeffery who portrays Audrey revealed that she would not be returning, while Brenna D'Amico revealed that she would be returning in Descendants 2, as were as Dianne Doan, Jedidiah Goodacre, and Zachary Gibson. On July 19, 2017, it was announced on The View that Whoopi Goldberg would be providing the voice for Ursula, the Sea Witch and Uma's mother.
Descendants 2 made its debut on Disney Channel in Canada on July 21, 2017, at the same time as the United States. In the United States, the film premiered simultaneously across six-Disney owned networks: Disney Channel, Disney XD, Freeform, ABC, Lifetime, and Lifetime Movies. On Disney Channel, the film premiered alongside the world premiere of Raven's Home, which premiered immediately after. In the UK, the film premiered on Disney Channel and Disney XD on October 20, 2017. In South Africa it premiered on the October 6, 2017.
Descendants 2 was released on DVD on August 15, 2017. In the UK, it was released on DVD on October 23, 2017.
In total, the film was viewed by 8.92 million viewers across six networks on the night of its premiere, up from its predecessor in 2015; at least 13 million people watched a minute of the film. On Disney Channel, the film was watched by 5.33 million viewers, and topped the night on cable television, receiving a 1.20 rating. Although down from the first film, it was the most-viewed telecast on the network since the first film. ABC's broadcast of the film received a 0.6/3 rating/share, drawing 2.41 million viewers; 0.47 million viewers watched the film on Disney XD with a 0.12 rating, 0.30 million viewers watched the film on Lifetime with a 0.09 rating, 0.26 million viewers watched the film on Freeform with a 0.08 rating, and 0.15 million viewers watched the film on Lifetime Movies with a 0.05 rating. In delayed viewing, the film rose to a total of 21 million viewers.
On Disney Channel, the film placed second in the week of its DVR ratings, jumping 92% to a 2.3 rating, and topped the week in viewer gains, jumping 104% with an additional 5.54 million viewers, the biggest viewer gain on cable television in two years, totaling to 10.90 million viewers on Disney Channel. On Freeform, the film jumped 207% with an additional 0.54 million viewers, totaling to 0.80 million viewers on the network; on Lifetime Movie Network, the film gained 96% with an additional 0.14 million viewers, totaling to 0.29 million viewers on the network.
|Year||Award||Category||Recipient(s) and nominee(s)||Result||Ref.|
|2018||Saturn Awards||Best Television Presentation||Descendants 2||Nominated|||
(Original TV Movie Soundtrack)
|Soundtrack album by Descendants cast|
|Released||July 21, 2017|
|Recorded||July— August 2016|
|Descendants soundtracks chronology|
|Singles from Descendants 2|
Descendants 2 (Original TV Movie Soundtrack) is the soundtrack accompanying the film of the same name. The soundtrack and lead single, "Ways to Be Wicked", was announced on April 12, 2017. The soundtrack was released on July 21, 2017.
The soundtrack debuted at number six on the U.S. Billboard 200 after earning 46,000 album-equivalent units, 35,000 of which were pure sales; sales for the soundtrack's debuting week were up from the previous film. It dropped to number nine on the chart for its second week, earning an additional 27,000 units.
"Ways to Be Wicked", performed by Dove Cameron, Sofia Carson, Cameron Boyce and Booboo Stewart, premiered on Radio Disney and then was officially released as first single on April 14 along with the pre-order of the soundtrack. It debuted at number 1 on the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles. The song is produced by Sam Hollander and Josh Edmondson who wrote the song with Grant Michaels and Charity Daw. "What's My Name", performed by China Anne McClain, Thomas Doherty and Dylan Playfair, premiered on Radio Disney and then was officially released as second single on June 2, 2017.
"Rather Be With You", from "Descendants: Wicked World", performed by Dove Cameron, Sofia Carson, Lauryn McClain and Brenna D'Amico, was released as first promotional single on October 28, 2016. "Evil", from Wicked World, performed by Dove Cameron, was released on December 9, 2016 as second promotional single. "Better Together", from Wicked World, performed by Dove Cameron and Sofia Carson, was released as third and final promotional single on March 3, 2017.
Other charted songs
"Chillin' Like a Villain", performed by Sofia Carson, Cameron Boyce, Booboo Stewart and Mitchell Hope, peaked at number 95 on the US Billboard Hot 100. "It's Goin' Down", performed by Dove Cameron, Sofia Carson, Cameron Boyce, Booboo Stewart, China Anne McClain, Mitchell Hope, Thomas Doherty and Dylan Playfair, peaked at number 77 on the Hot 100. "You and Me", performed by Dove Cameron, Sofia Carson, Cameron Boyce, Booboo Stewart, Mitchell Hope and Jeff Lewis, debuted at number 20 on the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles.
|Descendants 2 (Original TV Movie Soundtrack) – Standard edition|
|1.||"Ways to Be Wicked"||3:38|
|2.||"What's My Name"||3:10|
|3.||"Chillin' Like a Villain"||3:13|
|5.||"It's Goin' Down"||4:12|
|6.||"You and Me"||3:32|
|7.||"Kiss the Girl"||2:44|
|8.||"Poor Unfortunate Souls"||2:43|
|9.||"Better Together" (from Descendants: Wicked World)||2:44|
|10.||"Evil" (from Descendants: Wicked World)||2:54|
|11.||"Rather Be with You" (from Descendants: Wicked World)||2:14|
|Australian Albums (ARIA)||64|
|Belgian Albums (Ultratop Flanders)||102|
|Canadian Albums (Billboard)||25|
|Dutch Albums (MegaCharts)||102|
|French Albums (SNEP)||135|
|New Zealand Heatseekers Albums (RMNZ)||6|
|Spanish Albums (PROMUSICAE)||53|
|US Billboard 200||6|
|US Kid Albums (Billboard)||1|
|US Soundtrack Albums (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard 200||175|
|US Kid Albums (Billboard)||5|
|US Soundtrack Albums (Billboard)||11|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
Rise of the Isle of the Lost
A prequel novel called Rise of the Isle of the Lost was released on May 23, 2017. The novel details Uma's rise to power and her earlier history with Mal. The main plot details Uma planning to get the migrating trident of King Triton in order to help bring down the barrier surrounding the Isle of the Lost.
In addition to the mentioning of Genie, Grumpy, and Merriwether being teachers at Auradon Prep, a third school called the Serpent Preparatory School for the Education of Miscreants is located on the Isle of the Lost which Uma, Harry Hook, and Gil attended. Serpent Prep is a rival of Dragon Hall.
The book also introduced Yen Sid's Auradon intern Sophie, Ariel's niece Arabella, and Mulan and Shang's son Li'l Shang who is Lonnie's brother. There was a mentioning that the Stabbington Brothers from Tangled are also on the Isle of the Lost where they have Stabbington Cousins. Other information listed here that was later referenced in the film was Audrey and Chad breaking up, the introduction of R.O.A.R., Mal keeping Maleficent's lizard form as a pet, and Evie having her magic mirror placed in the museum.
- Saval, Malina (July 12, 2017). "'Descendants 2' Cast Talks 'Bigger' Sets and Musical Numbers at Disney Channel Premiere". Variety. Retrieved July 17, 2017.
- Swift, Andy (June 10, 2016). "Descendants 2 Premiering in 2017; China Anne McClain Cast as Ursula". TVLine. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- Lincoln, Ross A. (June 10, 2016). "'Descendants 2' Greenlighted By Disney Channel For 2017, New Characters Added". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- Kowalski, Kristine Hope (August 12, 2016). "OMG: Are There Major Cast Shakeups Happening In 'Descendants 2'?". Twist. Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- Bentley, Jean (August 18, 2016). "Meet Descendants 2's Newest Villain Offspring: Captain Hook's Son, Harry". E! Online News. Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- "'Descendants 2' casts Gaston's son — exclusive". Entertainment Weekly. August 19, 2016.
- "Drizella's Daughter Has Been Cast in Descendants 2 and She is Adorable". Oh My Disney. August 25, 2016.
- "In an Unprecedented, Far-reaching Programming Event, the Disney Channel Original Movie 'Descendants 2' Will Have a Simultaneous Premiere on Five Television Networks Within the Disney|ABC Television Group" (Press release). Disney|ABC Television Group. April 25, 2017. Retrieved June 15, 2017.
- Swift, Andy (August 15, 2015). "Descendants Sequel Ordered at Disney Channel". Yahoo! TV. Retrieved August 13, 2016.
- "sequel confirmation on Facebook". Disney Channel. October 15, 2015. Retrieved October 15, 2015 – via Facebook.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 15, 2015). "'Descendants' Sequel Set At Disney Channel". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 15, 2015.
- "'Descendants 2' Cast Talks About That Cliffhanger and Hopes for 'Descendants 3'". Retrieved January 7, 2018.
- "Whoopi Goldberg cast as Ursula in Descendants 2". Entertainment Weekly. July 20, 2017.
- "Whoopi Goldberg Is the Voice of Uma's Mom Ursula in Descendants 2". Oh My Disney. July 20, 2017.
- "What to Watch Tonight – Raven's Home Begins, Descendants 2, Ozark and More". TVLine. July 21, 2017. Retrieved February 3, 2018.
- "'Descendants 2' is bigger (but also smaller) than its predecessor [Updated]". TV by the Numbers. July 24, 2017. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- "Disney's "Descendants 2" Amasses 13 Million Total Viewers Across Its Disney Channel, ABC, Disney XD, Freeform, Lifetime and Lifetime Movies Simulcast Premieres". The Futon Critic. July 24, 2017. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- "Friday cable ratings: 'Descendants 2' gives Disney the win". TV by the Numbers. July 24, 2017. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- "'Big Brother' and 'Descendants 2' adjust up: Friday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. July 24, 2017. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- "'Descendants 2' Rises to 21 Million Viewers in Delayed Viewing". Variety. July 26, 2017. Retrieved July 26, 2017.
- "'Game of Thrones,' 'Descendants 2' make big gains in cable Live +7 ratings for July 17–23". Variety. August 3, 2017. Retrieved August 10, 2017.
- McNary, Dave (March 15, 2018). "'Black Panther,' 'Walking Dead' Rule Saturn Awards Nominations". Variety. Archived from the original on March 15, 2018. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- "Descendants 2 (Original TV Movie Soundtrack)". iTunes. April 14, 2017. Retrieved April 14, 2017.
- "Ways to Be Wicked - Single". iTunes. April 14, 2017. Retrieved April 14, 2017.
- "What's My Name - Single". iTunes. April 14, 2017. Retrieved June 2, 2017.
- ""Descendants 2" Stars Debut "Ways To Be Wicked," The First Single From The Movie's Soundtrack, Tomorrow On Radio Disney". PRNewswire. April 12, 2017. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- "The Track List for the Descendants 2 Soundtrack Has Dropped and We Are Intrigued". OhMyDisney. April 12, 2017. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- Caulfield, Keith (August 2, 2017). "Lana Del Rey Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200 Albums Chart, Tyler, The Creator and Meek Mill Bow at Nos. 2 & 3". Billboard. Retrieved August 2, 2017.
- Caulfield, Keith (August 6, 2017). "Arcade Fire's 'Everything Now' Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200 Albums Chart". Billboard. Retrieved August 6, 2017.
- Disney Channel [@DisneyChannel] (April 14, 2017). "The first #Descendants2 song, #WaysToBeWicked is finally here! You can download it now!" (Tweet). Retrieved April 14, 2017 – via Twitter.
- "China Anne McClain's "What's My Name" Debuting On Radio Disney Thursday, iTunes Friday". Headline Planet. May 30, 2017. Retrieved May 31, 2017.
- "Rather Be With You (From "Descendants: Wicked World") - Single". iTunes. Retrieved October 28, 2016.
- "Evil (From "Descendants: Wicked World") - Single". iTunes. Retrieved December 9, 2016.
- "Better Together (From "Descendants: Wicked World") - Single". iTunes. Retrieved March 3, 2017.
- "Billboard Hot 100: The week of August 12, 2017". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- "Billboard Hot 100: The week of August 19, 2017". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- "Billboard Hot 100: The week of August 26, 2017". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- "ARIA Chart Watch #431". auspOp. July 29, 2017. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- "Ultratop.be – Soundtrack – Descendants 2" (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved August 5, 2017.
- "Canadian Albums – August 12, 2017". Billboard. 2017-08-12. Retrieved August 2, 2017.
- "Soundtrack – Descendants 2" (in Dutch). MegaCharts. Retrieved August 6, 2018.
- "Lescharts.com – Soundtrack – Descendants 2". Hung Medien. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "NZ Heatseekers Albums Chart". Recorded Music NZ. July 31, 2017. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- "Top 100 Albumes — Semana 41: del 06.10.2017 al 12.10.2017" (in Spanish). Productores de Música de España. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- "Billboard 200 – August 12, 2017". Billboard. August 12, 2017. Retrieved August 2, 2017.
- "Kid Albums - August 12, 2017". Billboard.
- "Soundtrack albums – August 12, 2017". Billboard. August 12, 2017. Retrieved August 2, 2017.
- "Top Billboard 200 Albums – Year-End 2017". Billboard. Retrieved August 6, 2018.
- "Kid Albums – Year-End 2017". Billboard. Retrieved August 6, 2018.
- "Soundtracks – Year-End 2017". Billboard. Retrieved August 6, 2018.
- "American album certifications – Various – Descendents 2 (Original TV Movie Soundtrack)". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
- Lawrence, Derek (February 16, 2018). "Disney Channel officially announces Descendants 3". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved February 16, 2018.
- Laura Yeffeth, Clamp Design (2017-06-23). "Rise of the Isle of the Lost: A Descendants Novel". Melissa de la Cruz. Retrieved 2017-08-09.