Barber at the 2016 USO Gala in Washington, D.C.
|Born||December 6, 1989|
Columbus, Georgia, U.S.
|Alma mater||Virginia State University (B.S.)|
University of Maryland University College (M.S.)
|Home town||Washington, D.C., U.S.|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
|Title||Miss District of Columbia USA 2016|
Miss USA 2016
|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Miss USA 2016|
Miss Universe 2016
Deshauna Barber (born December 6, 1989) is an American beauty pageant titleholder, motivational speaker, and captain in the United States Army Reserve. On June 5, 2016, she was crowned Miss USA 2016 by outgoing titleholder Olivia Jordan of Oklahoma. She represented the United States at Miss Universe 2016 where she placed among the Top 9 finalists.
Early life and education
Barber was born on December 6, 1989, in Columbus, Georgia to Darren Barber and Cordelia Barber, both military veterans. She was a military brat, moving due to her father's 20-year military career in the Green Berets to North Carolina, Nebraska, Minnesota, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. Barber joined the United States Army Reserve at age 17. She attended Virginia State University and graduated with a degree in business management.
Prior to becoming Miss USA, Barber was commissioned as a quartermaster officer and logistics commander in the U.S. Army Reserve as a captain, and worked as an IT analyst for the United States Department of Commerce. She earned her master's degree in management information systems and services from University of Maryland University College. Barber is a member of the Pershing Angels and Sigma Gamma Rho sorority.
Barber was crowned Miss District of Columbia USA 2016 on December 19, 2015, by outgoing titleholder Lizzy Olsen. Prior to winning this pageant she had placed in the semi-finalists of the Miss Virginia USA 2010 and Miss District of Columbia USA 2015 pageants and held the Miss Virginia International 2011 title.
On June 5, 2016, Barber competed in the Miss USA 2016 pageant in Las Vegas, Nevada. She went on to win the competition, beating out first runner-up Chelsea Hardin of Hawaii and second runner-up Emanii Davis from Georgia. She was crowned by outgoing Miss USA, Olivia Jordan of Oklahoma. She was the third Miss District of Columbia USA to win the Miss USA title and the first in fourteen years. Barber was additionally the first member of the military to win the Miss USA title and declared her intentions to promote veterans issues during her reign. Barber represented the USA at Miss Universe 2016 in Manila where she placed in the top nine.
- Chen, Joyce (June 5, 2016). "2016 Miss USA: Miss District of Columbia Deshauna Barber Wins the Crown". US Magazine.
- Kelly, Cara (June 6, 2016). "Miss District of Columbia absolutely nailed her interview question before winning Miss USA". USA Today. Retrieved August 12, 2016.
- Heil, Emily (June 6, 2016). "Who is Deshauna Barber, the Miss D.C. who won the Miss USA crown?". Washington Post. Retrieved August 19, 2016.
- Yahr, Emily (June 5, 2016). "Miss D.C., a 26-year-old IT analyst and Army officer, wins the Miss USA pageant". Washington Post.
- Korsgaard, Sean (June 3, 2016). "VSU grad competes for Miss USA crown". The Progress-Index.
- "Miss USA". MUO. Retrieved February 12, 2017.
- "Army Officer Deshauna Barber Has Been Crowned Miss USA". Time Magazine. June 6, 2016. Retrieved August 19, 2016.
- "Trojan Beauty". Virginia State University Trojan Warrior Battalion: 18. March 2011.
- "Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated"..
- "Miss Virginia International™ 2011". Miss International Pageant Contestant Details. Miss International. Retrieved August 19, 2016.
- "2010 Miss Contestants". Miss Virginia USA.
- Rahman, Kahleda (June 6, 2016). "Army logistics commander is crowned Miss USA". Daily Mail Online. Retrieved August 19, 2016.
- "Exclusive: Miss USA 2016 Deshauna Barber Visits 'GMA'". ABC News. June 7, 2016. Retrieved August 12, 2016.
- Heil, Emily (June 8, 2016). "Miss USA Deshauna Barber is an undecided voter — and a Ben's Chili Bowl 'addict". Washington Post. Retrieved August 12, 2016.
- "Miss DC Wins Miss USA, But Not Everyone Is Happy". Romper.com. Retrieved 2017-05-15.
- Cox, Lauren (14 May 2017). "Kara McCullough: Everything You Need To Know About Miss USA 2017". hollywoodlife.com. Hollywood Life.
- Sciarretto, Amy (14 May 2017). "Miss D.C. Kara McCullough Wore Her Naturally Curly Hair For Miss USA 2017 & Fans Are Here For It". bustle.com. Bustle.
Media related to Deshauna Barber at Wikimedia Commons
|Awards and achievements|
| Miss District of Columbia USA
| Miss USA