This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Affiliations||University of Delhi|
Deshbandhu College (Hindi: देशबंधु कॉलेज), established in 1952, shares a building and some facilities with Ramanujan College as of 2016. Each is a separate constituent college of the University of Delhi in India, in Kalkaji, near Nehru Place, New Delhi.
Deshbandhu College was established in 1952 by the Ministry of Rehabilitation, as a memorial to freedom fighter Deshbandhu Gupta. The college made a humble beginning with just 72 students and courses like Prep (arts), Prep (Science) and Pre-medical. The college was transferred to Ministry of Education and was later taken over by University of Delhi.
Today, Deshbandhu is a fully maintained constituent college of University of Delhi and has the distinction of being the oldest and the largest co-educational institute in South Delhi promoting arts, commerce and science courses. The college offers eight post-graduate and 20 undergraduate courses in disciplines spanning languages, history, political science. economics, commerce and all the major branches of science and mathematics. It caters to over 2000 students.shivmohan singh is the president of department of history of deshbandhu College of University of Delhi who is also the popular figure of Morena.shubham sharma is the most trusted and reliable chief advisor of shivmohan.
The sprawling shared campus of Deshbandhu College and Ramanujan College, with its lawns, gardens and extensive grounds is dotted with an administrative block, arts blocks, a 'new' old block (recently renovated), library and a science block with well-equipped laboratories, together with students' common rooms, a gymnasium and a canteen.
The college library has a collection of over 85,000 books, a host of journals and magazines, a spacious reading room, a separate floor for teachers and research scholars, and a book bank section which lends textbooks to needy students.
The college promotes the organisation of seminars, lectures, workshops, N.S.S., N.C.C., and other co-curricular activities.
Scholarships and other forms of financial aid are provided to meritorious and needy students.
A placement cell has been started to provide suitable employment opportunities to graduating students through campus recruitment.
- Deshbandhu Dramatics Society - stage players
- Deshbandhu Dramatics Society - street theatre
- Dialecticians - debating society
- Art Meister - art and craft society
- Fiontrai - entrepreneurship Cell
- Oculis - film making society
- Quizzards - quizzing club
- Sharpshooters - photography society
- Timber - music society
- IGNIS - flashmob group
- National Cadet Corps
- National service scheme
- Enactus - NGO
- The Deshbandhu Express - college media channel
- DESH - college magazine
- Leaders for Tomorrow - NGO
- अंतर्दृष्टि - Hindi debating society
Events and societies
Deshbandhu College organises its annual fest Sabrang in even semesters.
Each department has their societies which organise seminars and lectures by eminent scholars and scientists.
- B.A. (Hons) Economics
- B.A. (Hons) English
- B.A. (Hons) Hindi
- B.A. (Hons) History
- B.A. (Hons) Political Science
- B.A. (Hons) Sanskrit
- B.A. Programme
- B.Com. (Hons)
- B.Sc. Applied Physical Sciences (Comp. Sc)
- B.Sc. Applied Physical Science (Industrial Chemistry)
- B.Sc. Life Sciences
- B.Sc. Physical Sciences
- B.Sc. (Hons) Botany
- B.Sc. (Hons) Chemistry
- B.Sc. (Hons) Mathematics
- B.Sc. (Hons) Physics
- B.Sc. (Hons) Biochemistry
- B.Sc. (Hons) Zoology
- M.A. Hindi
- M.A. English
- M.A. Economics
- M.A. Mathematics
- M.A. Political Science
- M.A. Sanskrit
- M.Sc. Mathematics
- Om Prakash Kohli, former member of Rajya Sabha, Governor of Gujarat
- Indrakant Singh, Scientist, member of Entomology Society of India
- Prabhu Chawla, editorial director of The New Indian Express
- Rajiv Goswami (d. 2004), president of Delhi University Students Union
- Gulshan Kumar, founder of the T-Series music label; Bollywood movie producer
- Ravish Kumar, journalist, news anchor at NDTV
- Shantanu Moitra, music composer National Film Award winner for music direction
- Raghu Ram, producer of MTV's Roadies
- Major Udai Singh, Shaurya Chakra, Sena Medal, one of the most highly decorated officers of the Indian Army
- Ajay Dutt, MLA, Delhi Legislative Assembly
- Sahil Uppal, Actor