|Location||South Campus, University of Delhi, Delhi|
|Affiliations||University of Delhi|
Deshbandhu College (Hindi: देशबंधु कॉलेज), established in 1952, currently (2016) shares a building and some facilities with Ramanujan College. Each is a separate constituent college of the University of Delhi in India, in Kalkaji, near Nehru Place, New Delhi.
Deshbandhu College was established in 1952 by the Ministry of Rehabilitation, as a memorial to freedom fighter Deshbandhu Gupta. The college made a humble beginning with just 72 students and courses like Prep (arts), Prep (Science) and Pre-medical. The college was transferred to Ministry of Education and later taken over by University of Delhi.
Today, Deshbandhu is a fully maintained constituent college of University of Delhi and has the distinction of being the oldest and the largest co-educational institute in South Delhi promoting Arts, Commerce and Science courses. The college offers eight post-graduate and 20 undergraduate courses in disciplines spanning languages, history, political science. economics, commerce and all the major branches of science and mathematics. It caters to over 2000 students.
The sprawling shared campus of Deshbandhu College and Ramanujan College, with its lawns, gardens and extensive grounds is dotted with an Administrative block, Arts blocks, a 'new' old block (recently renovated), library and a Science block with well-equipped laboratories, together with student's common rooms, a gymnasium and a canteen.
The college library has a collection of over 85,000 books, a host of journals and magazines, a spacious reading room, a separate floor for teachers and research scholars, and a book bank section which lends textbooks to needy students.
The college promotes the organisation of seminars, lectures, workshops, N.S.S., N.C.C., and other co-curricular activities.
Scholarships and other forms of student financial aid are provided to meritorious and needy students.
A placement cell has started to provide suitable employment opportunities to graduating students through campus recruitment.
Deshbandhu College organizes its annual fest "Sabrang" in even semester. Each department has their societies which organizes different seminars lectures by eminent scholars and scientists.
Department of Physics has a society namely PHYSICA which organises it's annual festival COHERENCE.
Department of Mathematics has a society namely क्षिTiज ( Facebook Page ) . They organises their yearly fest "SamuchYam".
Extra curricular activities
- Quizzards - The Quizing club
- Dialecticians - The Debating Society
- Sharpshooters - The photography society
- Timber - The Music Society
- National Cadet Corps
- National service scheme
- Enactus - The NGO
- The Deshbandhu Express - College media channel
- DESH - College Magazine
- Leaders for Tomorrow - A NGO
- oculis - film society
- B.A. (Hons) Economics
- B.A. (Hons) English
- B.A. (Hons) Hindi
- B.A. (Hons) History
- B.A. (Hons) Political Science
- B.A. (Hons) Sanskrit
- B.A. Programme
- B.Com. (Hons)
- B.Sc. Applied Physical Sciences (Comp. Sc)
- B.Sc. Applied Physical Science (Industrial Chemistry)
- B.Sc. Life Sciences
- B.Sc. Physical Sciences
- B.Sc. (Hons) Botany
- B.Sc. (Hons) Chemistry
- B.Sc. (Hons) Mathematics
- B.Sc. (Hons) Physics
- B.Sc. (Hons) Biochemistry
- B.Sc. (Hons) Zoology
- M.A. Hindi
- M.A. English
- M.A. Economics
- M.A. Mathematics
- M.A. Political Science
- M.A. Sanskrit
- M.Sc. Mathematics
- Rajiv Goswami (d. 2004), president, Delhi University Students Union
- Shantanu Moitra, music composer National Film Award winner for music direction
- Raghu Ram, producer MTV Roadies
- Prabhu Chawla, editorial director of The New Indian Express
- Gulshan Kumar, founder of the T-Series music label and a Bollywood movie producer
- Om Prakash Kohli, former member of Rajya sabha, Governor of Gujarat
- Ravish Kumar, journalist, news anchor at NDTV
- Subramanian Ramadorai, Former advisor to Prime Minister of India, Former CEO & MD of Tata Consultancy services
- Official website of Deshbandhu College www.deshbandhucollege.ac.in
- Delhi University website profile of Deshbandhu College