Rodriguez with Seton Hall in November 2016
|No. 20 – Hapoel Tel Aviv|
|League||Israeli Premier League|
|Born||March 23, 1996|
Bronx, New York
|Listed height||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Listed weight||240 lb (109 kg)|
|College||Seton Hall (2014–2018)|
|NBA draft||2018 / Undrafted|
|2018–2019||Agua Caliente Clippers|
|2019–present||Hapoel Tel Aviv|
|Career highlights and awards|
Desi Rodriguez (born March 23, 1996) is an American basketball player for the Hapoel Tel Aviv of the Israeli Premier League. He played college basketball for Seton Hall before playing professionally in the NBA G League.
High school career
Rodriguez attended the Frederick Douglass Academy for two years. He transferred to Abraham Lincoln High School and befriended his teammate Isaiah Whitehead. He credits this transfer to changing his life as he played against higher levels of competition. Rodriguez helped the team to a PSAL city championship and earned a title-game MVP award. He mainly played center in high school and rarely took jump shots.
Rodriguez committed to Seton Hall, where he averaged 5.6 points per game in his freshman season. He recorded 12.4 points per game as a sophomore. Rodriguez increased his scoring average to 15.7 points per game as a junior. He had 22 points in the February 15, 2017 win against Creighton and joined the 1,000 point club.
Rodriguez was named Big East player of the Week on December 7, after contributing 29 points, eight rebounds and four assists against Louisville. He scored a career-high 33 points in the Pirates' 82-77 win against DePaul on February 18, 2018. Rodriguez injured his ankle in a game against Providence on February 21 and missed the next three games. Despite feeling like it was the end of his collegiate career, he returned in the Big East Tournament quarterfinal against Butler and scored eight points. Rodriguez averaged 17.8 points and 4.9 rebounds per game as a senior, shooting 37.9 percent from 3-point territory. He was named to the Second Team All-Big East. He participated in the 2018 Portsmouth Invitational Tournament.
After going undrafted in the 2018 NBA Draft, Rodriguez signed with the Los Angeles Clippers for the NBA Summer League, joining Seton Hall teammate Angel Delgado. He had 17 points on 7-of-12 shooting in an 82-69 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers on July 12. Rodriguez signed a training camp contract with the Clippers on September 24. On October 9, 2018, Rodriguez was waived by the Clippers. He was then added to the roster of the Clippers’ NBA G League affiliate, the Agua Caliente Clippers. In 49 G League games played for the Clippers, he averaged 10.3 points, 4.7 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game.
- Brennan, Sean (November 29, 2018). "Rodriguez Emerges As An 'Elite' Pirate". Big East Conference. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- Newman, Josh (February 22, 2017). "Without Whitehead, Seton Hall's junior class flourishing". Asbury Park Press. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- Carino, Jerry (December 7, 2017). "Seton Hall basketball: Desi Rodriguez is on fire, and here's why". Asbury Park Press. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- "Rodriguez scores career-high 33 in Seton Hall's 82-77 win". ESPN. Associated Press. February 18, 2018. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- Braziller, Zach (March 12, 2018). "Seton Hall senior goes from utter despair to chance at redemption". New York Post. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- "Xavier's Bluiett, Villanova's Brunson, Butler's Martin Unanimously Named All-BIG EAST" (Press release). Big East Conference. March 4, 2018. Retrieved March 9, 2018.
- Carino, Jerry (April 6, 2018). "Seton Hall basketball: Angel Delgado wins Kareem Abdul-Jabbar award as nation's top center". Asbury Park Press. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- Newman, Josh (June 25, 2018). "NBA Draft: Seton Hall's Angel Delgado signs with Clippers, more local free-agent news". Asbury Park Press. Retrieved July 17, 2018.
- "Clippers' Desi Rodriguez: Leads team with 17 points Thursday". CBS Sports. July 13, 2018. Retrieved July 17, 2018.
- "Press Release: L.A. Clippers Announce Training Camp Roster". NBA.com. September 24, 2018. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- "Press Release: L.A. Clippers Waive Desi Rodriguez". NBA.com. October 9, 2018. Retrieved October 10, 2018.
- "רודריגז משלים את מצבת הזרים באדום". basket.co.il. August 1, 2019. Retrieved August 1, 2019.