Design Academy Eindhoven
Design Academy Eindhoven is an interdisciplinary educational institute for art, architecture and design in Eindhoven, Netherlands. The work of its faculty and alumni have brought it international recognition.
The Design Academy Eindhoven was established in 1947 and was originally named the Akademie Industriële Vormgeving Eindhoven. In 1997, the Academy moved into "De Witte Dame" (The White Lady) building and subsequently changed its name to Design Academy Eindhoven (DAE). In 1999, Li Edelkoort, was elected chairwoman of the Academy. In 2009 she left the Design Academy to pursue personal projects and was replaced by Anne Mieke Eggenkamp as chair. She was in turn succeeded by Thomas Widdershoven from 2013 until September 2016. Since then the school has been without a creative director.
The bachelor's program is split into eight interdisciplinary departments, broadly covering art, architecture, fashion design, graphic design and industrial design. As the structure of the bachelor's program is intended to be flexible, students are free to move between departments and all students graduate with the same degree, a Bachelor of Design.
The Design Academy Eindhoven's (DAE) emphasis on engaging complex social and cultural issues has gained it an international reputation. The Dutch collective Droog Design features several DAE alumni, Orange Alert organizes exhibitions and events of DAE students work in New York and several DAE alumni have been nominated for the "Designer of the Year" awards at the Design Museum in London.
The book House of Concepts: Design Academy Eindhoven tells the 60-year history of the academy, outlining how many significant Dutch artists, architects and designers have been associated with the DAE.
Every year, in the fall, the Dutch Design Week is held in Eindhoven with an array of Design-related events. These include the graduation exhibit (featuring the works of that year's graduates of the DAE) and the Dutch Design Awards.
- Gijs Bakker
- Jan Boelen
- Kees Bol
- Ilse Crawford
- Jan Gregoor
- Louise Schouwenberg
- Pieter Stockmans
- The Stone Twins
- Maarten Baas, designer
- Dror Benshetrit, designer
- Helen Berman, painter
- Tord Boontje, designer
- Els Coppens-van de Rijt, painter
- Dave Hakkens, industrial designer
- Massoud Hassani, designer
- Richard Hutten, designer
- Hella Jongerius, designer
- Eugène Peters, artist
- Frans Schrofer, furniture designer
- Wieki Somers, designer
- Ton van de Ven, creative director
- Marcel Wanders, designer
- Stephen Treffinger, "A School for New Dutch Masters", The New York Times, 2 Oct 2003, accessed 2 Jun 2009
- "House of Concepts: Design Academy Eindhoven", Square magazine, 21 Jan 2009, accessed 3 Jun 2009
- House of Concepts: Design Academy Eindhoven, Louise Schouwenberg, Gert Staal, Martijn Goedegebuure, eds. (Amsterdam: Frame Publishers, 2008). ISBN 978-90-77174-17-3