This article may be too technical for most readers to understand.(March 2020)
A Design System is a set of interconnected patterns and shared practices coherently organized. Design Systems aid in digital product design and development of products such as apps or websites. They may contain, but are not limited to, pattern libraries, design languages, style guides, coded components, brand languages, and documentation.
It serves as a reference or source of truth that helps the different teams involved (such as designers, developers, copywriters and project managers) to design and build digital products.
Some of the advantages of a design system are:
- Faster builds, through reusable components and shared rationale.
- Better products, through more cohesive user experiences and a consistent design language.
- Improved maintenance and scalability, through the reduction of design and technical debt.
- Stronger focus for product teams, through tackling common problems so teams can concentrate on solving user needs.
- Kholmatova, Alla (2017). Design systems : a practical guide to creating design languages for digital products. Smashing Media AG. p. 18. ISBN 978-3-945749-58-6.
- "Everything you need to know about Design Systems". 2019-10-03.
- Perez-Cruz, Yesenia (2019). Expressive Design Systems. Jeffrey Zeldman. p. 4. ISBN 978-1-937557-85-0.
- "Lightning Design System".
- "Material Design". Material Design. Retrieved 2021-04-09.
- "Homepage – Carbon Design System".
- "Homepage – Fluent Design System".
- What is a Design System? by Robert Gourley
- Design Systems Handbook by Marco Suarez, Jina Anne, Katie Sylor-Miller, Diana Mounter, and Roy Stanfield. (Design Better by InVision)
- Post (in French) : Why setting up a design system?