||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Industry||Cloud Software: Educational technology|
|Headquarters||Kitchener, ON, Canada|
|CEO: John Baker,
CSO: Jeremy Auger,
CFO: Brandon Nussey
Number of employees
|Slogan||Transforming the Way the World Learns|
D2L Corporation, known until 2014 as Desire2Learn, is an educational technology company with corporate headquarters in Kitchener, Ontario. It is known for its Brightspace learning management system.
Desire2Learn was founded in 1999 by president and CEO John Baker. The company is headquartered in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, and has 800+ staff in the US, Canada, the UK, Brazil, Singapore and Australia.
In 2014, D2L rebranded its integrated learning platform as Brightspace. The company name was changed to D2L Corporation. In 2014, D2L raised an $85 million series B financing round. D2L acquired the Achievement Standards Network (ASN).
Competitors include BlackBoard Inc. and Moodle Pty Ltd. In 2006, D2L and Blackboard were involved in a legal dispute over issues related to U.S. Patent 6,988,138. In December 2009, the companies issued a joint press release indicating that legal proceedings had ended with both companies agreeing to license each other's software. For more information about Blackboard and U.S. Patent 6,988,138, see Legal matters section of the Blackboard Inc. article.
- Tony Wan (July 14, 2014). "The Sum of Desire2Learn's Acquisitions: Brightspace". Edsurge News.
- JOSEPH CZIKK (July 15, 2014). "DESIRE2LEARN LAUNCHES NEW INTEGRATED LEARNING PLATFORM CALLED BRIGHTSPACE". BetaKit.
- Dian Schaffhauser (2014-07-14). "D2L Unveils Revamped Platform 'Brightspace' with Adaptive Learning". THE Journal.
- "EPC Spotlight-Desire2Learn". Archived from the original on August 28, 2008. Retrieved 2010-10-27.
- "D2L - Complete profile - Canadian Company Capabilities - Industries and Business - Industry Canada". www.ic.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-04-05.
- "Desire2Learn Supports Educators Striving to Enhance Student Learning Outcomes | D2L". D2L. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- "Desire2Learn Competencies and Rubrics: Part I". e-Literate. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- "Desire2Learn acquires small e-learning firm". www.therecord.com. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- "Brightspace Capture | Brightspace". Brightspace by D2L. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- "Desire2Learn finally accepts venture investment". The Globe and Mail. Toronto. 2012-09-04.
- Ki Mae Heussner (September 4, 2012). "As ed tech heats up, Desire2Learn raises $80M in its first VC round". Gigaom.
- Ingrid Lunden; Rip Empson (March 8, 2013). "Flush With $80M, Desire2Learn Buys 'Anti-Sharepoint For Students' Platform Wiggio, Its 2nd Acquisition In 2 Months". TechCrunch.
- "Desire2Learn Acquires Wiggio". EdSurge News. March 8, 2013.
- CHRISTINA FARR (September 9, 2013). "Desire2Learn acquires Knowillage to bring personalized learning to classrooms". VentureBeat.
- Jacob Serebrin (2013-09-09). "Desire2Learn Goes for Deep Analytics with Acquisition of Knowillage Systems". Techvibes.
- Kolodny, Lora (2014-08-14). "Desire2Learn Raises $85M to Deliver 'Personalized Education'". The Wall Street Journal.
- "Canada's Desire2Learn raises $85 mln for global e-learning push". Reuters. 2014-08-14.
- "Bloomberg Business". Bloomberg.
- "Desire2Learn Acquires The Achievement Standards Network From JES & CO". Marketwire. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- "Desire2Learn Expansion Creating Good Jobs In Waterloo Region". Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "Blackboard Inc. v. Desire2Learn Inc. Complaint" (PDF).
- "Blackboard, D2L Announce Patent Cross License Agreement and Settlement of Litigation". Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- "Blackboard Settles Longstanding Patent Fight With Rival Desire2Learn". Retrieved 2010-12-14.