|Industry||Cloud Software: Educational technology|
|Headquarters||Kitchener, ON, Canada|
|CEO: John Baker,
CSO: Jeremy Auger,
CFO: Brandon Nussey
Number of employees
|Slogan||Transforming the Way the World Learns|
D2L Corporation, known until 2014 as Desire2Learn, is an educational technology company with corporate headquarters in Kitchener, Ontario. It is known for its Brightspace learning management system.
Desire2Learn was founded in 1999[dead link] by president and CEO John Baker. The company is headquartered in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, and has 800+ staff in the US, Canada, the UK, Brazil, Singapore and Australia.
In 2012, D2L raised $80 million in financing. In 2013, D2L acquired Wiggio, and Knowillage Systems Inc., the creator of the adaptive learning engine, LeaP. In 2014, D2L rebranded its integrated learning platform as Brightspace. The company name was changed to D2L Corporation. In 2014, D2L raised an $85 million series B financing round.
Competitors include BlackBoard Inc. and Moodle Pty Ltd. In 2006, D2L and Blackboard were involved in a legal dispute over issues related to U.S. Patent 6,988,138. In December 2009, the companies issued a joint press release indicating that legal proceedings had ended with both companies agreeing to license each other's software. For more information about Blackboard and U.S. Patent 6,988,138, see Legal matters section of the Blackboard Inc. article.
- https://www.edsurge.com/n/2014-07-14-the-sum-of-desire2learn-s-acquisitions-brightspace. Missing or empty
- http://www.betakit.com/desire2learn-launches-new-integrated-learning-platform-called-brightspace/. Missing or empty
- http://thejournal.com/articles/2014/07/14/d2l-intros-revamped-platform-brightspace-with-adaptive-learning.aspx. Missing or empty
- "EPC Spotlight-Desire2Learn". Retrieved 2010-10-27.
- "Desire2Learn finally accepts venture investment". The Globe and Mail (Toronto). 2012-09-04.
- https://gigaom.com/2012/09/04/as-ed-tech-heats-up-desire2learn-raises-80m-in-its-first-vc-round/. Missing or empty
- http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/08/flush-with-80m-desire2learn-buys-anti-sharepoint-for-students-platform-wiggio-its-2nd-acquisition-in-2-months/. Missing or empty
- https://www.edsurge.com/n/2013-03-08-desire2learn-acquires-wiggio. Missing or empty
- http://venturebeat.com/2013/09/09/desire2learn-acquires-knowillage-to-bring-personalized-learning-to-classrooms/. Missing or empty
- http://www.techvibes.com/blog/desire2learn-acquires-knowillage-systems-2013-09-09. Missing or empty
- Kolodny, Lora (2014-08-14). "Desire2Learn Raises $85M to Deliver 'Personalized Education'". The Wall Street Journal.
- "Canada's Desire2Learn raises $85 mln for global e-learning push". Reuters. 2014-08-14.
- "Bloomberg Business". Bloomberg.
- "Desire2Learn Expansion Creating Good Jobs In Waterloo Region". Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "Blackboard, D2L Announce Patent Cross License Agreement and Settlement of Litigation". Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- "Blackboard Settles Longstanding Patent Fight With Rival Desire2Learn". Retrieved 2010-12-14.